PDA

View Full Version : NO high beams...

HeadAche
10-13-2002, 12:44 AM
[/b] I know this is not a major problem, but a problem none-the-less.. My ride has no high beams at all, i mean none.. I have checked for everything, and i cant take it back to the dealer, because they think my ride is unsafe and not up to OEM standards anywayz.. so i was wondering if any of u guyz/gals are having this problem.. I checked all fuses and wirring and still im totally stumped.. U would think after all the crap i have in my car it would be simple, its prolly some very simple but im just over lookin it.. HELP!..LOL

manybrews
10-13-2002, 09:50 AM
checked the bulbs?

HeadAche
10-13-2002, 12:13 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'>checked the bulbs?</div>

bulbs are fine, not the stock oem's either, but their okay 2..

TJC
10-13-2002, 12:30 PM
I thought you had a 7G Shane. If you've checked everything, it's time to take out the circuit tester with a light or an ohm meter and start probing for you short or broken circuit. Unfortunately, it's never easy troubleshooting electrical. Good luck bro.

HeadAche
10-14-2002, 11:31 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJC)</div><div class='quotemain'>I thought you had a 7G Shane. If you've checked everything, it's time to take out the circuit tester with a light or an ohm meter and start probing for you short or broken circuit. Unfortunately, it's never easy troubleshooting electrical. Good luck bro.</div>

iight thanks for the help bro, but yeah i do have an 8g..lol.. i love this car if it wasnt for being on my second motor..lol... Yeah im gonna take ur adive and get my circuit tester out and check everything, i really dont care about the high beams but its just the whole fact that they dont work that really gets under my skin..

TJC
10-14-2002, 12:52 PM
Dang! I must be loosing my memory. I remember that picture of you on the OG site standing inside the engine compartment b/c you ripped out the engine. I swore that was a 7G, lol. :bowl:

BlueESV6
10-15-2002, 07:34 PM
Found the problem yet? Since it was both lights was it the steering column switch? That would be my guess...

HeadAche
10-15-2002, 08:22 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlueESV6)</div><div class='quotemain'>Found the problem yet? Since it was both lights was it the steering column switch? That would be my guess...</div>

Haven't started to look yet, been trying to get my boyz cars ready for HIN this weekend.. Prolly work on it on Sunday..

Messiah
10-15-2002, 08:46 PM
Get your voltmeter out and start probing. First, I'd start with the harness, unplug it from the buld and turn on the lights, see if theres any juice. If there's no juice, check the high beam relay.

That's what I'd start with...Good luck man

HeadAche
10-17-2002, 09:36 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dragon300le)</div><div class='quotemain'>Get your voltmeter out and start probing. Â*First, I'd start with the harness, unplug it from the buld and turn on the lights, see if theres any juice. Â*If there's no juice, check the high beam relay. Â*

That's what I'd start with...Good luck man</div>

I took out the volter meter and there getting juice but i still cant find the problem, and since this is a kinda new thing for me, where are the relays and would i have to check the switch itself?

BGR
10-17-2002, 10:05 PM
I've been wanting to say this but held off saying something until I just read your comment about the relays, Shane.

Have you checked the high beam fuses? I circled them in the picture below. 2 fuses are for the low beam and the other 2 are for the high beams. Check all 4 of those fuses in that little cluster of 4 red fuses incase I'm wrong but I'm almost certain I had changed the lower fuses when my low beams quit working.

https://thegalantcenter2.com/misc/fuses.jpg

HeadAche
10-21-2002, 09:56 AM
I've been wanting to say this but held off saying something until I just read your comment about the relays, Shane.

Have you checked the high beam fuses? I circled them in the picture below. 2 fuses are for the low beam and the other 2 are for the high beams. Check all 4 of those fuses in that little cluster of 4 red fuses incase I'm wrong but I'm almost certain I had changed the lower fuses when my low beams quit working.

https://thegalantcenter2.com/misc/fuses.jpg

thanks For the tip rich, i will check those when i get home.. Im in classing listening to this boring ass teacher...lol

BGR
10-21-2002, 02:03 PM
No prob Shane. I figured if you didn't know where the relays were, you didn't check everything. I hope this is the case for your high beams not working.

I'm not sure if you remember or not but when I had my HID's, the wire that connected the two ballasts fell on the exhaust manifold and shorted my low beams. That's when I found out the easy way to use my foglights with the parking lights, as I was going to drive home like this. At least it would have been something, instead of driving with no lights.

As I was driving away and used the turn signal, I accidentally trigger the high beams and my HID's came back on! I was like ' oh yeah! ' When I got home, I check the fuses under the hood and saw that the low beam fuses were blown because of the short.

HeadAche
10-22-2002, 09:42 PM
No prob Shane. I figured if you didn't know where the relays were, you didn't check everything. I hope this is the case for your high beams not working.

I'm not sure if you remember or not but when I had my HID's, the wire that connected the two ballasts fell on the exhaust manifold and shorted my low beams. That's when I found out the easy way to use my foglights with the parking lights, as I was going to drive home like this. At least it would have been something, instead of driving with no lights.

As I was driving away and used the turn signal, I accidentally trigger the high beams and my HID's came back on! I was like ' oh yeah! ' When I got home, I check the fuses under the hood and saw that the low beam fuses were blown because of the short.

BGR i finally fingured out with ur help of course, it was the damn relay... But guess what nobody aroound where i stay has the damn really.. I went to discount auto parts, pep boyz, and freakin autozone, and no luck.. Honestly the only reason i want my high beams is because they dont work and i hate when ish on my car doesnt work,.. Hell i may fix it and then forget i had high beams still..lmao...

BGR
10-22-2002, 09:51 PM
How did you come to the conclusion that it was the relay?

TJC
10-22-2002, 10:49 PM
Yeah, it's kind of unusual for a relay to go out. And even rarer if the left AND right side both went out. I thought you also mentioned that there was power all the way to the harness by the bulb. :puzzled1:

You know, come to think of it, there are lots of recalls for the column switches so that may be the issue.

HeadAche
10-23-2002, 01:10 PM
Honestly i cant think of anything else to change, but the dam relay itself, because when i went to my boyz shop he said the switch itself was fine, so he was like just change the relay and see, if not take the bastard back... So today imma go and see where in the hell i can find a relay and change the one i have.. If its not that prolly got and check the column one more time just for the heck on it..