PDA

View Full Version : HYDROLOCKED BY AEM

Lazarus
06-18-2005, 06:19 PM
Well I did the aftermarket parts review on my Galant a while back sayinghow much the V2 wasn't really worth the money. well I have a reason for you not to buy it. I hydrolocked mt G right before it went into the shop. Rain no front bumper CAI bad thing. Well I got my G back and rained again bumper this time. What gives....I am windering since the V2 doesn't have a Bypass valve if you take the hose running to the Valve cover off and just place a breather on each end will teh breather on teh V2 act as a Bypass Valve?

My theory is simple. suck water through a straw. you have a good vacuum. Now if you place a hole in that straw....water usually can't be sucked pass the hole. it's not a good vacuum. here's the only problem. It's not like I am submerging the CAI in the water it just rains alot here this time of year. INjen has a splash guard but it's to small to bolt onto the V2's wide bottom.

Any Ideas?

DOHCstunr
06-18-2005, 06:37 PM
if you do that unmetered air will get past your mass airlow sensor and cause erratic and innaccurate a/f mixture. noticable results will be lack of power due to over rich conditions, spark plug fouling, misfire and the ptoential for stalling/ idling problems. Not to mention shitty gas mileage.
long term drawbacks are fouled plugs, short life o2 sensor, catylitic converter failure all due to over rich problems.

pinoyesv6
06-18-2005, 06:45 PM
yea. if you were gonna do that with the breather filter i'd drill a hole, add a nipple and then put in the breather filter before the air gets to the MAS

Lazarus
06-18-2005, 06:47 PM
So what are you saying? :roll: I figured It's be something like that so I have to do something before the MAS ain't that a biotch. It looks like I'd have to just take it off when it rains.....

pinoyesv6
06-18-2005, 07:05 PM
its not that hard. companies make kits, or you can make a kit yourself. just drill a hole, put in the gromment and then put in the nipple. after that just clamp on the breather filter. IMO easier than taking off the cold air part everytime there is a threat of rain and i know in florida that is quite often

here's a kit from k&n
http://www.knfilters.com/images/85_1150.jpg

SilverDragonGTZ
06-19-2005, 12:30 AM
get a short ram....you don't get any gain from a "cold air" intake as opposed to a short ram

peanotation
06-19-2005, 12:50 AM
i say just stick with ram air. you seem to have bad luck with the CAI and water.

pinoyesv6
06-19-2005, 12:54 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanotation)</div><div class='quotemain'>i say just stick with ram air. you seem to have bad luck with the CAI and water.</div>

CJ has bad luck with everything.

but yea, CJ, what happen to your first gen injen? those things are a beast https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif did you wreck that too in an accident lol.

manybrews
06-19-2005, 08:03 AM
you could always just use the factory intake..

contrary to popular belief, you really dont gain anything but noise with an aftermarket setup.

Lazarus
06-19-2005, 11:14 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'>

CJ has bad luck with everything. Â*

but yea, CJ, what happen to your first gen injen? those things are a beast Â*:D did you wreck that too in an accident lol.</div>

Sold it to Kevin (8GGalant) a while back when I did my first turbo setup