PDA

View Full Version : Black rims w/ silver lip/Decent Chrome Rims for 8g

chromed_out_galant
06-20-2005, 06:33 PM
hey everyone
Right now I have 18" chrome rims on my 8g. I really like the style of the rims, but the chrome is very thin and is chipping off. I am thinking of selling them and gettting some new rims. I have seen many people on here with black rims with a silver lip and was wondering what brand and model they are. If you guys could give me some suggestions I would appreciate it. Also if anyone with chrome rims can tell me what kind are decent I would appreciate that too. Right now I have BSA 304 Chrome and the chrome layer is paper thin. I want something that is a little heavier chrome so it is not so easy to damamge. I have had the rims for less than a year and three of the four and chipping :cry: I am really upset seeing as I paid 1300 bucks for them. Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks

ChikagoGTZ
06-20-2005, 06:36 PM
Couldnt you clear coat the rims to protect the chrome??

chromed_out_galant
06-20-2005, 06:47 PM
I guess I could but the rims are already pretty chipped. I'd rather sell em and get as much money as possible before they get too bad to sell. I think I could prolly get at least 1000 for them. Other than the chippin they are in excellent condition. They usually go for like 2000 I got em cheap.

Lazarus
06-20-2005, 06:49 PM
I'd Look at ADR

quicksilver22
06-20-2005, 08:39 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lazarus)</div><div class='quotemain'>I'd Look at ADR</div>

FUCK ADR!!!!!!!!

j/j, just dont' order anything low on stock, because it takes them 7 months to reproduce a wheel because they keep fucking pushing back the production date...

02on19s
06-21-2005, 10:41 AM
KMC all the Way ....my 19's I have now are there new racing series..
KMC Sr Racing SR5 s

My other set of rims I had on my old cavi Were KMC unit's Chrome....Never chipped or anything!...

so I'm gonna have to go w/ KMC....need some more pics or something...just le me know

pinoyesv6
06-21-2005, 12:22 PM
BBS RS-GT in the diamond black and machined lip

http://www.tirerack.com/images/wheels/bbs/swap/bbs_rs_gt_db_ci3_l.jpg

kinda pricey but you are getting a 2 piece forged wheel.

Reelax
06-21-2005, 01:43 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'>BBS RS-GT in the diamond black and machined lip

http://www.tirerack.com/images/wheels/bbs/swap/bbs_rs_gt_db_ci3_l.jpg

kinda pricey but you are getting a 2 piece forged wheel.</div>

if he was complaining about $1,300.00, those are way out of his range.

pinoyesv6
06-21-2005, 01:52 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Reelax)</div><div class='quotemain'>if he was complaining about $1,300.00, those are way out of his range.</div>

tru but the quality of the BBS wheel will outsurpass that of any of the BSA wheels out there. meaning you really get what you pay for. a strong wheel, a good finish, lightweight wheel.

GreyGoose01
06-21-2005, 01:55 PM
im looking at WWW.SACCHIWHEELS.COM ('http://WWW.SACCHIWHEELS.COM')

jusmills
06-21-2005, 02:19 PM
definitely agree with Pinoy...if you want strong light rims you'll have to pay for them...those BBS are really nice.

Two routes you could go are...pay to get the rims re-chromed, not a hard process but something you can't really do at home as it requires you to use an acid bath, copper filling tank, and a tank with the chroming agent...all really bad stuff for your health not to mention you'd have no idea where to get rid of the waste. Cost is probably in the range of getting a new set of cheaper rims.

Another route you could go since it seems that he really doesn't want to part ways with his current rims is that you could go and take some aircraft stripper and completely strip the spokes down (but not the lip if you have one) to bare metal. Mask off the lip and primer the rims with a black primer. Sand down the primer to a smooth surface. Then paint the rims whatever color you want (I would chose black or gunmetal). Do a couple...I'd recommend 3-5 coats color, wetsanding each coat. Then 2 coats clearcoat. You can then use fine sandpaper and jewelers polisher + metal polish (very meticulous work) to fix up the lip. I've heard of people clearcoating the lip but it will make very shiny parts slightly duller...

pLUGSNEt
06-21-2005, 02:19 PM
my tezzen wheels are tripple plated chrome.. my girlfriend chip these bad boys 3 times already and you can tell a difference.. they have chrom over chrome over chrome... over chrome LOL https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

If you go with a chrome wheel make sure its not cheap.. make sure its tripple plated or check there warranty on the actual wheel.. if they have or not and ask them about there lifeline of chrome.. and warranty on peeling or all that nonsence... in sence you get what you paid for.. when i got my wheels and tires it ran me almost 3000 bucks but my wheels still look brand new and all the bumps and dips ive hit.. my wheels still have not bent....

chromed_out_galant
06-21-2005, 06:12 PM
Yea, as you guys said I am def willing to pay more in the long run but I am tryin to find somethin that will work with my current salary and won't take me 2 years to save up for. I might look into redipping. Depends on price.... I dunno it's gonna take some thinkin about. Thanks to all for your help.

raw0055
06-21-2005, 09:49 PM
I would check out the Manufactor warranty on the wheels that you have send them pics and shit. But redipping is not CHEAP

chromed_out_galant
06-23-2005, 07:35 AM
Yea, my warranty is through another company called WheelGuyz. They said they will look at the damage if I e-mail em a picture of it. They said that after looking at that, I have to ship the wheels to them and I have to pay for them (40 buckk + a wheel) and then they will run tests. This is no garuntee that they will even do it. If they don't they will send the wheels back to me once again at my own cost of $40+ per wheel. So either way I'm gonna be spending money. I have to call BSA and see if they will simply honor the warranty. I spoke to customer service @ wheelguyz and they said I have to go through them. :?