PDA

View Full Version : Spring but no new struts?

J Reezy
06-21-2005, 07:30 AM
OK. Here is the deal. I just got my "Sprint Springs" yesterday in the mail and I really want to put them on. Now, here is the dilemma... As I look on the forum I see most people have the complete setup with the springs and the struts, but I really don't have the money to get them done. Also I want to get rid of that damn gap before NOPI in NC this weekend. The shop down the street said they will put them on fir $80 and $49 to realign them. Does anybody suggest I get just the springs installed now or should I wait until I get the struts? Is it going to make that much of a difference for now or can my stock hold me down?

Fall Out Boy
06-21-2005, 07:43 AM
you can throw them on with your stock shocks but as to how long they are going to last you just dont know...you may end up with a blown shock in a few weeks a few months or you may get a few years out of them. Only down side to this is you are having a shop do the install....so you figure 80 bucks for the install...and prolly another 80 down the road when you have to install new shocks....if i were you i would try and find someone to help you with the install to try and save a few bucks...so later on when you do get some new shocks and want to put them on your not paying again.

pinoyesv6
06-21-2005, 11:20 AM
what kinda "sport springs" do you have and how many miles do you have on your car now?

if the drop is alot and or you have lot of miles on your car then i'd wait to get hte shocks and struts.

if the drop isn't that severe and or you don't have alot of miles on your car, you might be able to put off the shocks and struts for a while.

its pretty much a big guessing game. less miles means your struts and shocks aren't as worn. the lower the drop the more stress you'll put on the shocks and the struts.

so you gotta think about it. i mean the struts and shocks might blow out next year or they might blow next week

somehting you should think about

obxguy2000
06-21-2005, 11:32 AM
I would put the new springs in to get that gap out of there. Thats just my opinion. And I would pay the $80 to have them put in. I put my springs in myself and would had rather paid someone $80 to keep me from having to mess with it. I am going to wait until I need my struts replaced before I put new ones in. I have had mine in over 2 months now and I drive it every single day and have not blown a strut. I have about 45G miles on it. So, drop it now, and worry about it later.

J Reezy
06-21-2005, 02:06 PM
I have"Sprint Springs" and my car has 52,600 now. My car is sweet now I have the Muffler and intake install. did the TV a month ago but when the little kid next door(13 years old) looked at my car and said..."I want a car just like this. I love the way it sounds. Your speakers are hot and the paint job is fresh. But when I buy mine, its going to be lower one" I asked "what do you mean?" He replied"I am not going to buy mine with the front so high, I'm going to buy the galants that sit a little lower"......... I wanted to cry, but I pulled myself together and said I NEED a drop. Yea I know I was getting into a guessing game but is 52k milles alot of miles on my current sturs or can these get me around for another 6 months to a year?

pinoyesv6
06-21-2005, 02:09 PM
this is what i'd do. fork over the money to get some gr2's and just let them sit there in the house in its box next to the springs. sooner or later you'll just force yourself to fork over the money to get it installed or install it yourself. forced modificaitons thats how you get things done lol

Jet Black
06-21-2005, 02:28 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'>this is what i'd do. fork over the money to get some gr2's and just let them sit there in the house in its box next to the springs. sooner or later you'll just force yourself to fork over the money to get it installed or install it yourself. forced modificaitons thats how you get things done lol</div>

EXACTLY! I bought turbo headers before I ever bought a turbo (which I JUST bought). https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif

J Reezy
06-21-2005, 02:46 PM
yea, Force modification is a Bi**ch! This is true, but I did that for the audio and I wanted to have it done before I go to NOPI in North Carolina this weekend. any suggestions on where to buy the gr2's :cry:

pinoyesv6
06-21-2005, 02:58 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(J Reezy)</div><div class='quotemain'>yea, Force modification is a Bi**ch! This is true, but I did that for the audio and I wanted to have it done before I go to NOPI in North Carolina this weekend. any suggestions on where to buy the gr2's :cry:</div>

i'd recommend getting it from PPS on club 3g. make sure u get the glaant gr2's cuz they are cheaper. but uhm i'd look around local if you want it done before this wekeend.

J Reezy
06-22-2005, 11:13 AM
The shop I wanted to was closed yesterday so I went to one down the street and they told me they won't and can't put them one without a camber kit. I was like WTF. and he said that is the only way the car will be safe..... I don't know alot about suspention but I don't know about what the hell he was talking yesterday.

obxguy2000
06-22-2005, 11:44 AM
without 100% doubt, you will not need a camber kit for the front. So dont waste your money. As far as the back, you will need something. There is a thread on here about a $5 camber kit from Home Depot. That works just fine and is cheaper than the $150 i spent.

Danger DANJ
06-23-2005, 10:41 AM
That shop is retarded. There is no way they can know if you will need a camber kit or not. I can say for sure you won't need one up front, but for the back you might. The only way to know if you will need one for the back is by installing the springs. Usually the rule of thumb is; for every inch you drop, your camber will be off by 1 degree, but that's not always true. There have been plenty of people here who have dropped with the same type of spring and some needed a camber kit while others didn't.

J Reezy
06-23-2005, 04:26 PM
OK. Thanks for the info. Well, me and two of mah friends are goingto try to install tomorrow so I'll let yall know how it turned out. We rented a booth at the hobby shop and are goingot try to do the install. One of the boys has down it before. About how long does this take casue we renting by the hour? $5.00/hour (Lift/gun/spring compressor) I thought it was a kick ass deal

pinoyesv6
06-23-2005, 04:34 PM
first time i did mine it took 4 hours. most of those 4 hours were spent figuring out how to use the air compressor. its not that hard. read the tutorials. know how to do things by heart and you should finish it in no time.

things like maybe removing the back seat you might want to do before you get there so you can save some time.

J Reezy
06-23-2005, 10:04 PM
https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif I will prolly spend most of my time doing the same. So 4 hours.... thats not bad and thanks about the info about the seat. I will try to tak ethat out tomorrow morning before I go to work.