PDA

View Full Version : 4g63t

galant96s
10-13-2002, 12:23 PM
so who has 1 of these in there 7th gen
how much should the swap cost? like the engine,tranny i could get at a junkyard prolly... but how much do low milage 1s run. how fast does yours run if u have the swap?say i had a boost controller,i-h-e what would it prolly run?

Dark Anghell
10-13-2002, 01:14 PM
First of all it depends on where you buy the engine...I have seen prices jump from 1100 to 2000, and more for the same engine. If you do the swap yourself, you save a lot of money. If your car is AT, you need new tranny, because the old one will not hold for sure. So that's another 1000 depending on what you get (I'm talking about 5-speed conversion). If you go for AT from eclipse, it might be cheaper.

1/4 mile times will depend. Because before you get boost controller, you need to get a number of other things done to your car. It depends on the type of boost controller you are using. In superstreet they compared a couple, HKS and Blitz are the best ones (duh). If you have FMIC the time will be lower.

The best answer I can give you is that it will be faster than a stock galant.

Proud Galant Driver
10-14-2002, 06:09 PM
well, say you put a lancer evo engine in. could you just buy a 5 spd tranny from an eclipse or would u need an evo tranny?

QnzMostWanted
10-14-2002, 07:38 PM
u can use an eclipse tranny, but good luck, ur car will break before the engine does

seth98esT
10-14-2002, 07:41 PM
i really want a manual tranny and i think i am just going to buy a 1g talon tsi or eclipse gst for cheap. would it work out very well if i just swapped out trannies? or would it be best to try and grab a manual tranny from a 7g galant?

oh yah, i am most likely just going to do the head swap + intake and exhaust manifolds + turbo install...i will part out all the other parts

Proud Galant Driver
10-14-2002, 08:20 PM
well if you take out the engine from an eclipse or talon obviously the tranny would work. even if you turn a normal engine into a 4g63t it should work. i think. i dont think u would need a galant tranny. but i could be wrong. i recomend just going with an eclipse engine from a gsx or something.

2True
10-14-2002, 08:33 PM
Seth, a 1g tranny should bolt up with little to no problem. If your staying with A/T then I would just get a LevelTen kit and save yourself the headache. Although, if you are gonna swap heads and do the turbo and all that I would recommend a M/T, just cause it would be more fun https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

seth98esT
10-14-2002, 09:25 PM
well i was not planning on swapping the whole engine...just the tranny, head, manifolds, and turbo. I am not for sure if I will be able to do this myself, but i could try. I really need to find a heated garage so i could do this, this winter.

other than that...alls i need to do is find a cheap parts car

sabzi5858
10-15-2002, 11:23 PM
whoah, do not try to put a 1g eclipse tranny into a 7g galant. the 1g has the front and back mounts on the engine, while the 7g has them on the tranny, so you'd end up driving around with your engine supported by only 2 out of 4 motor mounts :shock: ! the 1g tranny will only work in a 1g car. the 2g tranny will work in either the 1g or the 2g (or 7g galant). a 1g engine will work in either 1g or 2g (or 7g galant) but a 2g engine will only work in a 2g (or 7g galant). also, if you use a fwd tranny, make shure you use a fwd flywheel, and if you use an awd tranny, use an awd flywheel, or you will have problems with not being able to start your car...

i would advise against putting a manual galant tranny in if you're given the option of an eclipse tranny, they may look the same on the outside, but it's the inside that counts...

also, a manual boost controller will be more than sufficient for most people, and costs a lot less than an electronic boost controller. they can be had for as little as $45 at http://www.boostcontroller.com/ ('http://www.boostcontroller.com/') and possibly even less. also, some of the fastest guys are running manual boost control....

converting to a manual also requires more than just swapping the tranny, at minimum the pedal assembly must also be swapped, along with the shifter mechanism and cables. the a/t safety switch must also be grounded...

and on a last note, i suggest using a 2nd gen ecu/wiring harness, and not a 1st gen. i'm using a 1st gen, but i believe it's much more simple to use a 2nd gens..