PDA

View Full Version : Performance modulators

Torque&Scoot
07-03-2005, 03:15 PM
Does anyone have any experience with the masses of piggyback modulators. They are supposed to connect to your IAT or water temp sensor and adjust fuel flow. I have heard a lot of these are scams, but I heard of a few that worked, but I can't remember which ones. I talked with Rob, who makes the Juice Box, he basically guaranteed me at least 10 whp. and said he will give me the thing for free. I told him that I would do a before and after dyno of the car and I will try to duplicate exact environments such as temp, humidity,ect. Has anyone tried this brand with good results on any car? I certainly hope his 10 whp claim is true because when Weapon is ready for the MAF adapter for the Secret intake, This should give a 20+ H.P. increase and a nice little kick.

Serstylz2
07-03-2005, 03:18 PM
dunno about the modulator but u wont see 10 hp from an intake

peanotation
07-03-2005, 03:21 PM
what?

Serstylz2
07-03-2005, 04:01 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanotation)</div><div class='quotemain'>what?</div>

what?

Torque&amp;Scoot
07-03-2005, 04:12 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Serstylz2)</div><div class='quotemain'>dunno about the modulator but u wont see 10 hp from an intake</div> Intake should be at least 5-8 H.P. at the crank. CPE developed a intake and MAF mod for the Mazda 6 6Cyl that puts out 20+ H.P. They can make a similar mod for the 9th gen Galant but they want at least 10 people to lay down cash advance.

pinoyesv6
07-03-2005, 08:05 PM
the 20+hp that they made for the mazda 6, is that also at the crank or is that at the wheels. if its at the crank, then that doesn't suprise me. a regular afteremarket wai or cai can make those kinda results at the crank.

manybrews
07-04-2005, 11:19 AM
theyre crap.

peanotation
07-04-2005, 01:36 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'>the 20+hp that they made for the mazda 6, is that also at the crank or is that at the wheels. if its at the crank, then that doesn't suprise me. a regular afteremarket wai or cai can make those kinda results at the crank.</div>

has to be at the crank. i want to see an n/a car get 20whp from an intake

quicksilver22
07-04-2005, 06:27 PM
shit, 20 at the wheels is crazy.

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

Torque&amp;Scoot
07-06-2005, 09:54 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'>the 20+hp that they made for the mazda 6, is that also at the crank or is that at the wheels. if its at the crank, then that doesn't suprise me. a regular afteremarket wai or cai can make those kinda results at the crank.</div> I'm not sure, but I think it's whp. I know they have some in depth disscusions on this at the Mazda 6 forums, but I'll look into it. Even if it is at the crank, 20+ H.P is pretty darn good for a CIA and MAF tweak!

Serstylz2
07-06-2005, 09:56 PM
that CIA can do anything, they are watching us.

Torque&amp;Scoot
07-06-2005, 09:56 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'>theyre crap.</div> Please explain! Are you talking about the modulator or CAI? I was thinking about this, and wouldn't changing to a cooler operating thermostat accomplish the same thing?

Torque&amp;Scoot
07-06-2005, 09:58 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Serstylz2)</div><div class='quotemain'>that CIA can do anything, they are watching us.</div>HA Ha! EXCUSE ME! I meant CAI. But you know, they are still watching anyway.

manybrews
07-08-2005, 04:49 PM
theyre crap. Please explain! Are you talking about the modulator or CAI? I was thinking about this, and wouldn't changing to a cooler operating thermostat accomplish the same thing?

things that "modify" the signal from the air temp or coolant temp sensor do nothing but run the risk of engine and/or catalytic converter damage.

you DONT get more power, period. they dont do anything but screw up the correct fuel map.

a CAI? its also a fact that you MAY get one or two HP with them. thats it. otherwise, all you get is a lot of induction noise. for some people, thats enough of a reason to get one. Not for me. plus, if you use a low mounted CAI, you run the very real risk of water induction resulting in engine failure if you experience a heavy rain and/or deep puddle.

Mante
07-09-2005, 09:02 PM
a CAI? its also a fact that you MAY get one or two HP with them. thats it. otherwise, all you get is a lot of induction noise. for some people, thats enough of a reason to get one. Not for me. plus, if you use a low mounted CAI, you run the very real risk of water induction resulting in engine failure if you experience a heavy rain and/or deep puddle.

Dont forget you can use the "splash guard" lol it can divert alittle water, I think injen makes it..could be wrong. I personally ran the Low mounted CAI for years only ran into a serious problem once when it snowed, had to changed the plugs and I was good to go...they rusted something ugly car ran like shit before I changed the plugs too

Torque&amp;Scoot
08-31-2005, 09:03 PM
theyre crap. Please explain! Are you talking about the modulator or CAI? I was thinking about this, and wouldn't changing to a cooler operating thermostat accomplish the same thing?

things that "modify" the signal from the air temp or coolant temp sensor do nothing but run the risk of engine and/or catalytic converter damage.

you DONT get more power, period. they dont do anything but screw up the correct fuel map.{Quote} Well you might as well forget about tuning a car then, because that's what you have to do to gain power! The key is safe reliable tuning!

a CAI? its also a fact that you MAY get one or two HP with them. thats it. otherwise, all you get is a lot of induction noise. for some people, thats enough of a reason to get one. Not for me. plus, if you use a low mounted CAI, you run the very real risk of water induction resulting in engine failure if you experience a heavy rain and/or deep puddle. Not with a Cold air induction that is designed correctly and has the TUNING to back it up! RRE for example. With a well tuned system I think you will get more than a few H.P.

Its Reu
11-02-2005, 10:42 AM
dunno about the modulator but u wont see 10 hp from an intake

the mopar intake for the sRt 4 gets 20 at the wheel

mochanges
11-02-2005, 12:55 PM

you DONT get more power, period. they dont do anything but screw up the correct fuel map.

This may be true for certain engines, but is definitely not correct across the board. Many intakes actually do make some serious power. I think it's too soon to say that an intake for the 3.8 in the 9G is useless.

Tech_Greek
04-02-2006, 04:05 AM
This "module" that you are talking about basically tells the computer the incoming air temperature is colder than it is...

It might work, it might not, but here's the kicker, the car's got a set of fuel maps (or might constantly change, not sure, I just got my car).

Your car, when it's cold out side, WILL work better, because the air is denser creating more power; we all know the drill, however, the engine compensates for that so predetonation doesn't occur, you add this little sucker I can almost guarantee it will and say bye bye warranty for sure.

The aftermarket intakes are there to increase the noise, that's about it, sure on some cars the noise reduction methods on certain cars are worse than others (from the looks of it, it looks like we have two silencer boxes throughout our intake tract) which removing those out probably would net a few RWHP, but anything past that I doubt it...

hsinya
04-02-2006, 05:35 AM
this thread is alive! its alive!

Galantus
04-03-2006, 03:32 PM
i took out my resonator box and it did nothing, noting to sound or power, it was the same, so i put the box back in it

Xrs2
04-03-2006, 09:09 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tech_Greek)</div><div class='quotemain'>This "module" that you are talking about basically tells the computer the incoming air temperature is colder than it is...

It might work, it might not, but here's the kicker, the car's got a set of fuel maps (or might constantly change, not sure, I just got my car).

Your car, when it's cold out side, WILL work better, because the air is denser creating more power; we all know the drill, however, the engine compensates for that so predetonation doesn't occur, you add this little sucker I can almost guarantee it will and say bye bye warranty for sure.

The aftermarket intakes are there to increase the noise, that's about it, sure on some cars the noise reduction methods on certain cars are worse than others (from the looks of it, it looks like we have two silencer boxes throughout our intake tract) which removing those out probably would net a few RWHP, but anything past that I doubt it...</div>

You mean FWHP?

Tech_Greek
04-28-2006, 02:36 AM
Galantus,

It probbaly doesn't sound different because we have so much sound insulation in our cars. If you stuck your head in the engine bay and still didn't hear the difference...

Xrs2,

Yeah, sorry, used to driving my old Supercharged RX-7! https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif

hsinya
04-28-2006, 02:56 AM
rx-7's come supercharged?

Tech_Greek
04-28-2006, 09:15 AM
No, I supercharged it...

Rising_Suns
04-28-2006, 04:15 PM
It should also be noted that intake upgrades should always be done with an exhaust upgrade as well, otheriwse your gains will probably be negligable. It doesn't do much good if the car can take in more air, but can't get rid of it, you know? Also, as has been mentioned NA cars see less gains than forced induction.

Tech_GreeK,
Just out of curiousity, what were your numbers on your RX-7S?

-Davide

Tech_Greek
04-28-2006, 05:23 PM
Around 200 RWHP, never dyno'ed it.

Ran a [email protected] mph with a 2.4 60 foot because my transmission was acting up, and it was a non-lsd.

- Tech

Rising_Suns
04-28-2006, 06:03 PM
Around 200 RWHP, never dyno'ed it.

Ran a [email protected] mph with a 2.4 60 foot because my transmission was acting up, and it was a non-lsd.

- Tech

Not bad for rotary. :wink:

Hey, my numbers weren't much better and I had 80 more horses than you to the wheels (14.3 @ 107mph). That's the same night I kicked myself in the butt for buying a FWD for the track. lol.

I bet your car was a blast to drive in the moutains.

-Davide

Tech_Greek
05-01-2006, 10:16 PM
No mountains here but there are a lot of twisties here so yes, when the instant boost hits coming out of the turn, you learn to love it over a turbo unless you get someone that can make instant boost with a turbo.

The 200HP, was just the blower and a racing beat cat back, nothing else in terms of fuel supply, I had the 10-12 PSI pulley however I only could put the 7 PSI pulley on there due to fuel supply issues, so it defintley had a lot more room to go hp wise.

Rising_Suns
05-02-2006, 03:06 PM
No mountains here but there are a lot of twisties here so yes, when the instant boost hits coming out of the turn, you learn to love it over a turbo unless you get someone that can make instant boost with a turbo.

The 200HP, was just the blower and a racing beat cat back, nothing else in terms of fuel supply, I had the 10-12 PSI pulley however I only could put the 7 PSI pulley on there due to fuel supply issues, so it defintley had a lot more room to go hp wise.

Nice. Yeah, my buddy supercharged his Tiburon. It was pretty nice, with a nice linear power curve throughout...not as much punch as a turbo, but definately more reponsive. The turbo I had for my eclipse didn't spool up until about 4,000rpm, which could get burdensome at times for the street. It was too large of a turbo for autocross, but just right for the track.

Tech_Greek
05-02-2006, 05:42 PM
Oh defintley, but then again, when you can upgrade the internals of an RX7 to put out around 500 RWHP efficiently with instant boost, theres no point of a Supercharger, I just did it to be different - I knew hte power wouldn't be there as much as I had everything ready for a turbo swap and choose the earlier.

gc86
08-19-2006, 12:19 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Serstylz2)</div><div class='quotemain'>dunno about the modulator but u wont see 10 hp from an intake</div>

http://www.f5air.com/images/dyno/06%20ecli...e%204%20cyl.GIF ('http://www.f5air.com/images/dyno/06%20eclipse%204%20cyl.GIF')

On the new eclipse with the 4cyl mivec engine.