PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Cylinder Misfires OBDII code 300

Auto-9
10-14-2002, 01:01 PM
Went to start the car this morning and it made a sound like one of those large cats, kind of sounded like a cougar, idle jumped to 1700 rpm and the SES light came on not even 3 seconds later. My exhaust smelled funky, like I had just gotten out of a dyno, and the gas was actually cold even after an hour of driving. For a while I thought that the worst had happened, my converter gave out after a measely 11k miles of service. All day my car was idling funky varying between 500 rpm to 1200 rpm but other than that it was running great once my foot was on the pedal, I kinda think it's stronger actually thought that may be due to the now cold and dry air. Autozone pulled out the code and diagnosed the problem as multiple misfires. Any ideas on what may be causing this, whether or not this is something I can take care of myself, will warranty apply, will the dealer give me hell about my mods if I take the car in, etc? At least my car no longer smells like its spewing pure gasoline.

2k1GTZ-PHX
10-14-2002, 02:19 PM
don't take it to mark mitsubishi in scottsdale!!! they will replace fuel injectors that don't need to be replaced!!!!

Gilhuly
10-14-2002, 02:45 PM
If your weather just cooled off there's a resonable chance you got some condensation in the gas tank/line. Put a bottle of drygas in your tank.

Auto-9
10-14-2002, 03:44 PM
Hmmm that sounds pretty good to me. If all else fails I can still just bring the car in to service I guess...I had an idea that it might be spark plug related though because I idle for REALLY long periods of time...up to 20 minutes. Heard that can cause fouling...maybe I oughta quit now.

Nick VR4
10-15-2002, 03:41 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rallifan)</div><div class='quotemain'>Hmmm that sounds pretty good to me. If all else fails I can still just bring the car in to service I guess...I had an idea that it might be spark plug related though because I idle for REALLY long periods of time...up to 20 minutes. Heard that can cause fouling...maybe I oughta quit now.</div>

Why do you idle for 20 minutes ?

Auto-9
10-15-2002, 08:31 AM
It's hot as hell (literally) out here whenever I go pick up my brother, and if I don't leave 20 minutes before he actually gets out, I gotta wait about an hour just to pick him up in line. Stupid 1 lane 1 way street serving a school of 3100 students.

manybrews
10-15-2002, 10:50 AM
idling will have not effect on a current car.
there isnt a vehicle on the road since the late 80s that has any kind of a "load up" problem.
you could let the car idle for 24 hours.. it wouldnt do anything bad.

Auto-9
10-15-2002, 01:42 PM
My problem is solved...at least temporarily. The light went away by itself, dunno why, but I could care less...no more worries https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif