PDA

View Full Version : dropped & low profile tires looking for a smoother ride

mixshows
07-18-2005, 11:22 AM
after reading one of the posts here , i was reminded of a question i wanted to post. i have a progress drop on my 99 g and 18 inch falken rims wrapped in low profile falken tires, while i love the look, i wish the ride could be a little better. Is there any possible solution to make the ride a little smoother?

Mindless
07-18-2005, 11:51 AM
Get thicker tires.

I had low profiles on my jetta and it rode like CRAP. Chalk it up to not having any sidewall.

Danger DANJ
07-18-2005, 11:59 AM
Sorry to say, but 18" rims and a decent drop does not equal a smooth ride. Are you stillriding on the stock struts/shocks? If so, changing them out for some KYB AGXs or GR-2s might help a little, especially if your stockers are worn out.

pinoyesv6
07-18-2005, 12:00 PM
don't know if you still have the factory shocks and struts but if you still do, upgrade those and things could get better.

ChikagoGTZ
07-18-2005, 12:51 PM
Your springs and your shocks will have alot to do with the comfort of your ride. The spring rate (stiffness) of your springs, as well as the bound/rebound of the shocks you use will determine the ride condition. If there is not much travel in the suspension it will feel rougher than a car that has some give.

Tires will not make a difference in comfort...thicker tires are still as stiff as thin tires, but will have slightly poorer performance in cornering.

Items like STB or Chassis Stiffening kits will also add to your discomfort....so keep that in mind for future mods. Unless you're driving a luxury sport sedan, you will not get the best of both worlds.

Mindless
07-18-2005, 01:16 PM
^ IDK about that. Stock wheels and tires on my jetta rode fine. Slap on some 16's (heavy ass wheels I might add) and some low profile nitto's and you feel every bump in the road.

More sidewall = more material to absorb bumps and such. Why is it that more people tend to fvck up their wheels if they're riding on low profile tires?

You can have a decent ride with a good drop. My 7g was slammed from el cheap ebay coilovers to springs all on KYB GR-2's. The best setup I had was eibach sportlines (which were actually for the 2g eclipse) on my GR-2's. I even had a friend comment that it rode almost as good as stock.

If you don't have shocks get a set of KYB GR-2's. Some people will tell you to get the AGX's. IMHO they are a waste of money unless you want to fine tune your setup for the street/strip. But that's just me.