PDA

View Full Version : Couple of problems...

MBowen574
07-20-2005, 11:54 AM
I'm having a few problems with my Galant. I've gotten almost everything taken care of, except an intermittent exhaust leak (probably a tiny crack opening up in the header pipe under pressure... about to fix that), a sticking vent inside the dash (everytime I turn the RECIRC button OFF, a loud clicking comes from behind the glovebox... gotta take that apart and look at it), a few burnt out interior lights, and a non-working CD changer. I bought a 6-disc changer from a '95 3000GT SL, which works perfectly, but the radio won't recognize that it's there. I was under the impression that all Mitsu 6-disc changers would work with the CD Changer head-unit (looks like the Infinity one, but w/o the brand name on the tape deck door). I'm also having a loud creaking noise coming from the rear suspension whenever it rises up from compression. I'm thinking bushings... What do you think? Finally, I had the front seats and carpet out the other day to see if the changer wire was the problem (it wasn't), and found under each front seat a little two-pin electrical connector, not connected to anything. Also, under the passenger seat, there is a 14-pin connector just like the stock radio wiring harness. What is this for? None of the three have a recieving counterpart, so I'm guessing they're options my car doesn't have. Any ideas on any of this?

bronxbombr
07-20-2005, 03:48 PM
I'm having a few problems with my Galant. I've gotten almost everything taken care of, except an intermittent exhaust leak (probably a tiny crack opening up in the header pipe under pressure... about to fix that), a sticking vent inside the dash (everytime I turn the RECIRC button OFF, a loud clicking comes from behind the glovebox... gotta take that apart and look at it), a few burnt out interior lights, and a non-working CD changer. I bought a 6-disc changer from a '95 3000GT SL, which works perfectly, but the radio won't recognize that it's there. I was under the impression that all Mitsu 6-disc changers would work with the CD Changer head-unit (looks like the Infinity one, but w/o the brand name on the tape deck door). I'm also having a loud creaking noise coming from the rear suspension whenever it rises up from compression. I'm thinking bushings... What do you think? Finally, I had the front seats and carpet out the other day to see if the changer wire was the problem (it wasn't), and found under each front seat a little two-pin electrical connector, not connected to anything. Also, under the passenger seat, there is a 14-pin connector just like the stock radio wiring harness. What is this for? None of the three have a recieving counterpart, so I'm guessing they're options my car doesn't have. Any ideas on any of this?

Let me see where should i start>>>>>>>>>>>>...

the connector under the driver seat is for the seatbelt warning light, the counterpart is attached to the underside of the drivers seat.

your bushings may be shot to hell, or your strut and or strut mount may be going bad.

As for the radio yes you need the correct mate for the disc changer or the right cable i think.

The blown out lights are an easy fix, search around here for the bulb list. I think it is a sticky.

The click noise you hear when hitting the Recir button is the vents closing and opening, although i never heard mine click but you can hear when it opens and closes. It might be getting stuck.

If ya need a header i have the stock one from my other G laying around in the garage.

Hope that answers all of your questions, but a good thing to do would be to use the search option first so you can get an idea of how to diagnos the problem and hit it with a quick fix.

n3oAcid24
07-20-2005, 04:03 PM
this is a little bit of topic here but how do you know when your suspension is going? all the time i hit a bump, the rear makes a weird sound like if something is cracking. let me know. thanks.

MBowen574
07-20-2005, 11:49 PM
Let me see where should i start>>>>>>>>>>>>...

the connector under the driver seat is for the seatbelt warning light, the counterpart is attached to the underside of the drivers seat.

your bushings may be shot to hell, or your strut and or strut mount may be going bad.

As for the radio yes you need the correct mate for the disc changer or the right cable i think.

The blown out lights are an easy fix, search around here for the bulb list. I think it is a sticky.

The click noise you hear when hitting the Recir button is the vents closing and opening, although i never heard mine click but you can hear when it opens and closes. It might be getting stuck.

If ya need a header i have the stock one from my other G laying around in the garage.

Hope that answers all of your questions, but a good thing to do would be to use the search option first so you can get an idea of how to diagnos the problem and hit it with a quick fix.

Thanks very much for the pointers! I'm a little new to the Galant, and am pretty much feeling my way. I'm coming off two A32 Maximas (and my mom's '01 Aurora, see below), so the G is totally different. I'll have to check those connectors tomorrow. I had the front seats totally out and didn't disconnect anything (other than unbolting the seats themselves) in the process of tracing that wire, so I wonder who disconnected them... I'm pretty sure it's my bushings, though it could be a strut. I'll have to check to see if those 7G GS struts and springs are still for sale in the "For Sale" forum. I suppose I'm going to have to buy a head unit from a 3000GT, because this just isn't working out. It should fit the 7G Galant, right? I know what the vents sound like when functioning normally, and this isn't it. Normally you can hear slight clicks and whirring, but now all that's there is a repeating click (every 1-2 seconds) like something's getting jammed and the motor's trying to free it. I still need to take it apart and look into the vents. The lights are another matter. I pulled the buttons out again and took the bulb with my to Radio Shack today (after consulting the Bulb List again), to no avail. They don't carry anything that small, they said. I checked Lowe's and Home Depot at their behest (of course, nothing), before giving up and going to the Mitsu dealer. There, they told me they can't get just the bulbs, but will gladly sell me a set of replacement button assemblies for $84! I left emptyhanded. Finally, the exhaust. I'd be seriously interested if you could get me that header pipe. Is it in good condition? How much do you want for it? Do you have the stock cat, too? I need the pipe from below the manifold to the cat, and would like to have an extra cat lying around in case this doesn't solve the problem. I could check on shipping if you could give me some measurements and weights. Just quote me a price, if you don't mind. I can get a new pipe for $119, so I'm hoping you'll undercut that. That doesn't include a cat, of course. Let me know!

MBowen574
07-20-2005, 11:54 PM
Also, I can't find a search option. Is it buried somewhere? Thanks again.

ArtyG
07-21-2005, 07:17 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MBowen574)</div><div class='quotemain'>Also, I can't find a search option. Is it buried somewhere? Thanks again.</div>

Not buried, just up near the top:
http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/2637/search9gm.jpg

If you're still lost, CLICK HERE ('https://www.thegalantcenter.org/search.php').

Russian7G
07-21-2005, 04:21 PM
Your AIR SELECTION DAMPER CONTROL MOTOR is clicking behind your glovebox. Very annoying. I had the same problem. A new one costs about $100, never seen them on EBAY. I ghetto-fixed mine myself.
Click here for fix and pix ('https://www.thegalantcenter.org/viewtopic.php?t=28078')

MBowen574
07-21-2005, 06:46 PM
Awesome! Thanks both of your for the informative posts.

This intrigues me: I still don't know what the loose connectors are under both front seats. Does anyone have any clue? The seatbelt sensor wire is corrected correctly, and was not the part in question.

Bronx, I still need some prices and info on that header pipe/catalytic converter, if you're interested in getting rid of your stock piece. Thanks again!

Nyr0283
07-21-2005, 07:30 PM
i have those same loose connectors on mine. i have a 95 galant s, i had a couple people tell me that its from the heated seat/ power seat option that my car doesnt have.... i dunno if its true or not

MBowen574
07-21-2005, 11:01 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Nyr0283)</div><div class='quotemain'>i have those same loose connectors on mine. i have a 95 galant s, i had a couple people tell me that its from the heated seat/ power seat option that my car doesnt have.... i dunno if its true or not</div>

The only problem with that is that the G (at least the American version) never had heated seats or power seats. Possibly one power seat, but I know there were never dual powers. Do you also have the 14-pin radio connector under your passenger seat? It all seems wired from the factory...

QnzMostWanted
07-22-2005, 07:40 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Nyr0283)</div><div class='quotemain'>i have those same loose connectors on mine. i have a 95 galant s, i had a couple people tell me that its from the heated seat/ power seat option that my car doesnt have.... i dunno if its true or not</div>

mine had the same thing, 95 S its for power seats I beleive, I just tucked them under the carpet https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif outta sight, outta mind

Nyr0283
07-22-2005, 11:11 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MBowen574)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Nyr0283)</div><div class='quotemain'>i have those same loose connectors on mine. i have a 95 galant s, i had a couple people tell me that its from the heated seat/ power seat option that my car doesnt have.... i dunno if its true or not</div>

The only problem with that is that the G (at least the American version) never had heated seats or power seats. Possibly one power seat, but I know there were never dual powers. Do you also have the 14-pin radio connector under your passenger seat? It all seems wired from the factory...</div>

like i said, thats what i was told, i dunno if its true or not. But no i dont have the 14 pin connector under the passenger seat, only the other ones