PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Springs

lonestar22
07-25-2005, 01:47 AM
Is cutting my springs really that bad. I mean i've heard that its the worst thing to do from here and there but i've never realli heard why. Can someone tell me why or tell me some horror stories to scare me out of cutting my springs. if i dont im gettin teins

bergundy2k1
07-25-2005, 02:10 AM
Cutting them are really bad because you lose the effect of the dampening due to the coils being closer onthe ends and farther apart in the middle. The car will bounce like hell or it may bottom out really easy. The ride is really shitty you will get the drop you want but the ride will suck balls. I would go with the Teins because they were designed to operate like that, or oyu could just get some progress springs and AGX's and that will give you a pretty decent ride. But what ever you do, do not cut the springs. If you are going to get the Teins anyway then you can try it but be prepared to change it soon because you cannot go back once you have done it, plus you will need shocks soon anyway and you may damage other things as well. If you have the money just go for the Teins cus you will have to change the cut springs anyway eventually.

loser00
07-25-2005, 02:14 AM
well the only thing that happened to me when i did it a long time ago before i got real springs was that the cv boot ripped
and that you bounce alot but other then that it looks all right
but i would not advise you do it because it does do alot of prob but if you got no money oh well even though you will have to pay for it in the end

pinoyesv6
07-25-2005, 11:42 AM
you know. why even consider cutting springs. you can get springs on ebay for like 50 bucks and they will be better than cutting your stock springs. i'll admit that the ride will probably still suck with some 50 dollar springs but not as much as they would with cut springs.

seth98esT
07-25-2005, 12:06 PM
I bought a set of cut used Eibach Pro kit. They dont ride bad at all. I bought them not knowing that they were cut, but the ride is descent and not bouncy at all. But I bet if you cut the stock springs, they would be a lot bouncier then cut Eibachs.

DOHCstunr
07-25-2005, 01:07 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'>I bought a set of cut used Eibach Pro kit. Â*They dont ride bad at all. Â*I bought them not knowing that they were cut, but the ride is descent and not bouncy at all. Â*But I bet if you cut the stock springs, they would be a lot bouncier then cut Eibachs.</div>

i can vouch for seth on that one. his ride was pretty smooth. the key is to not cut the progressive part of the coil(the tightly wound sections). seth even had worn front shocks if i recal and i thought his ride was solid, of course i wasn't driving it, but as a passanger i couldn't complain.

2000GTZ
07-25-2005, 01:43 PM
let's pretend that this can be explained with numbers!

stock spring height = 10
stock spring rate = 5

let's divide them! 10/5 = 2

if u cut height to like.. 8
and spring rate is still only 5

then you get 8/5 = 1.6
which is bad! (lol)

you should try to keep the "2" ratio and get stiffer, shorter springs

easily explained! (with numbers!)

lonestar22
07-25-2005, 11:30 PM
thanx guys i think im just going to save up for the Teins, i dont think i want a Progress drop but if i dont go with the Teins ill get the Eibachs but theyre way expensive and i heard they sag. Tein has that sag warranty

DOHCstunr
07-25-2005, 11:59 PM
eibachs have a lifetime no sag warranty