PDA

View Full Version : ignition wires/coil pack

willie4257
07-25-2005, 07:15 PM
I'll be replacing my spark plugs, and the two ignition wires. is it recomended to replace the coil packs at the same time? Manual dont list it i think until 90 k. Im at 60k now.
If I could avoid the coils at $110 a pop i'd be happy..any ideas?
thnx

devgrp
07-26-2005, 08:08 AM
I dont think you have to replace them yet. When I changed my plugs and wires I did'nt change mine.

pinoyesv6
07-26-2005, 10:53 AM
if you look at book 16 in the service manual it shows you the check procedure on the ignition coil. if its good then you can keep it. if its bad then i suggest you get a new one.

with something that is that easy to access, i say don't replace it til its broke or hella old and u feel bad for it.

SPEEDDEMON03
07-26-2005, 01:18 PM
so you just replace the two plugs and four wires?

mrjaydeeone
07-26-2005, 02:30 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SPEEDDEMON03)</div><div class='quotemain'>so you just replace the two plugs and four wires?</div>

for the I4?
its 2 wires and 4 plugs

SPEEDDEMON03
07-26-2005, 02:38 PM
thanks

willie4257
07-26-2005, 10:03 PM
yeabasically...i dont wanna dash out 220 for coils packs if i dont have to. just figured i ask you guys first

lgary1978
08-02-2005, 09:10 AM
has anyone had a problem with removing the spark plugs from the engine. Mine seem to be stuck i have a 2000 I4

pinoyesv6
08-02-2005, 10:08 AM
mine felt kinda stuck. well being that they've been in there for almost 60k(i have a v6) i was kinda expecting that. but yea, i just turned the ratchet a lil bit harder and they came out.

i do suggest getting a tube of anti seize and putting that on the threads of the new plugs so you don't run into that problem in the future.

lgary1978
08-05-2005, 03:02 PM
Sorry i didnt explainit the right way the spark plug wires seem stuck they just wont come out for some reason i turn them but when i pull they wont budge had a few people do it and same result everytime i go to a shop they want to give me a full tune up for some reason. they wnt just change the spark plugs them selves

TGC lover
08-05-2005, 03:37 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lgary1978)</div><div class='quotemain'>Sorry i didnt explainit the right way the spark plug wires seem stuck they just wont come out for some reason i turn them but when i pull they wont budge had a few people do it and same result everytime i go to a shop they want to give me a full tune up for some reason. Â*they wnt just change the spark plugs them selves</div>so do you mean the plug? or the wire that goes into the coil?

Qs
09-17-2006, 02:58 PM
alright , this seems pretty dead but unconcluded so i lemme revive it for yall

im basically gonna do what he wanted to do /or did whatever :laughing:

so i sjust bought 4 iridium ngk - bkr5eix -11 which are supposed to be superior to our 4 platinum ngk - bk5re- 11 or something like that and a set of magnecor wires

well i dont have a service manual with my galant, previous owner must have kept it when he totaled the car

so my reason for reviving this topic is

do i really really need that spark plug socket tool or will i be ok with a ratchet

is there need to check the torque specs? change fluids ? or other procedure i might not be aware of,

lol i dont even know how to get the rubber cap off yet

anyway just any warning or tip u have will do,

thx guys

pinoyesv6
09-17-2006, 10:42 PM
if u have a coil pack and your car came out of the factory in normal, meaning its us spec, then you have an i4 galant. meaning that unless you have some sort of super duper mod that require something different, you're just wasting your money by not just getting the factory copper plugs that came with the car.

as for the spark plug tool, totally optional. i've done it with and without it on various cars. its handy especially if you haven't done this before since you can cross thread the spark plug without it and well thats an even bigger problem. its also great for those first few or last few threads where you can just spin the spark plug in or out with your fingers.

Qs
09-18-2006, 06:50 PM
alright well il buy it, since its my first time, and il get my friends torque wrench too ,

as for the wires and plugs i know they wont do any good by themselves

but hey a guy's gotta start somewhere :laughing:

and it is part of maintenance since the car is at 65 k

also i bought it totaled at 38 k , but had to pass provincial inspection so it was litterally A1

by the way didnt the 4g64 came with platinum oem plugs???