PDA

View Full Version : Optima Battery Install Problem...

Cheekz185
07-31-2005, 11:12 PM
Hey guys, i just picked up an Optima Blue top D34m. I am having trouble getting the + side on. I tried bending the metal connectors but it still wond go on....can any1 help me out? are they battery terminal extenders i can buy? I am just missing it buy like a half inch

pinoyesv6
07-31-2005, 11:20 PM
if you have some bolts and some really thick metal you can make one like this

http://www.cloudcars.org/albums/Ice-Mans-Pics/Battery2.jpg

but i just forced the + battery clamp onto the battery and it bends itself as i put all my weight onto it lol

Cheekz185
07-31-2005, 11:27 PM
That is exactly what i am looking for. How easy is that to make? They dont sell it anywhere?

mrjaydeeone
07-31-2005, 11:41 PM
you could just bend it dude its real easy
thats what I had to do with mine
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/169000-169999/169999_23_full.jpg

Cheekz185
07-31-2005, 11:46 PM
I tried but its giving me problems. It is not sitting on the bolt right and i cant get the bolt to screw on. I am gonna have to make a metal plate with holes.

mrjaydeeone
07-31-2005, 11:58 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cheekz185)</div><div class='quotemain'>I tried but its giving me problems. Â*It is not sitting on the bolt right and i cant get the bolt to screw on. I am gonna have to make a metal plate with holes.</div>
ah I see then go ahead and do that
prolly will look like a cleaner install also

pinoyesv6
08-01-2005, 12:09 AM
making that extension bracket isn't too hard. for a simple one just cut a rectangular piece of metal. thick metal btw, and like drill 2 holes for the bolts.

Cheekz185
08-01-2005, 02:29 PM
So my dad came home with an extension that he built at work. It looks pretty good, only if he could made it shorter, looks kinda long, but he said thats the shortes he could get it, so it would be solid. Im just afraid, if you look at the pics, the red cover isnt covering the terminal, is that ok? Or should i do something about that? DO they sell covers?

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y61/Cheekz185/100_1326.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y61/Cheekz185/100_1325.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y61/Cheekz185/100_1324.jpg

GOOSEY2099
08-01-2005, 02:32 PM
Thats a huge link!

Cheekz185
08-01-2005, 02:34 PM
I KNOW!

Cheekz185
08-01-2005, 02:34 PM
Is that ok, or should i make somethin else?

ipaintu
08-01-2005, 04:45 PM
not to jack his thread Im haven issues with kinda same thing but on other end. My Neg cable looks like crap with corrosion on it. I tried cleaning it and no help, comes right back.. I poured coke on it bought the sprays and all. I and haven issues with it bolting down on the post tight. Im tryn to think of a way to extend the cable from the bolt. Im thinking of just adding a link from it to the post and adding a better connector. The stock one is crap. I dont know if haven 2 kicker 600.1 in trunk is issues.I have a cell and all I see about 10.40 ish as lowest when i hit HARD I see 13.99+ when idle. so I dont know. I have neons and all so someone told me the add ons could be doing it. I changed batteries to a red top I have a battery for trunk maybe if that will help. I just had to retighten the neg cable tho.

any help on it?

IceDouTGaLanT
02-25-2008, 11:54 PM
Sorry to bring this to life, better then start something new..But im having the same issue i picked it up today. Jay do u have a bigger picture? i clicked ur username but i guess u dont have a car-domain listed..What do these extenders look like? since those links are dead. I tried to bend it but that Black Box is in the way.

mrjaydeeone
02-26-2008, 12:12 AM
um yeah I think I do let me look around.
found one from other side. I have too much stuff hooked onto positive terminal so it's a little tough to see
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i206/mrjaydeeone/car%20finished%20August%202007/DSC02298Large.jpg
but basically all I did was just bend the piece so that it would reach the terminal. It doesn't sit flat across the battery like it used to. If this pic doesn't help I can take a better one tomorrow

IceDouTGaLanT
02-26-2008, 12:36 AM
yea that helps, ill try to bend tomm, i was thinking of cutting some plastic away on top like notch a grove out

mrjaydeeone
02-26-2008, 01:39 AM
yea that helps, ill try to bend tomm, i was thinking of cutting some plastic away on top like notch a grove out
I know some others have taken a piece of metal I forgot what kind and have made an extension of sorts.
I Dunno about that notching of the battery though, if you have any problems with the battery knock on wood the place you got it from might not warranty it

fliegendaffe
02-26-2008, 06:57 AM
I have too much stuff hooked onto positive terminal so it's a little tough to see
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i206/mrjaydeeone/car%20finished%20August%202007/DSC02298Large.jpg

wow, i see so many wrong things in that engine compartment as far as electrical installation

Kid
02-26-2008, 08:25 AM
Is it just me, but I thought the blue/yellow tops were meant for something else; i.e. boats, RVs and such. I have the red top...Haha, am I f*cking up something or so...
:D

Kid

badmitsu
02-26-2008, 09:34 AM
Is it just me, but I thought the blue/yellow tops were meant for something else; i.e. boats, RVs and such. I have the red top...Haha, am I f*cking up something or so...

Kid

dont think they hurt anything, a lot of ppl on here have them.

WarmAndSCSI
02-26-2008, 09:39 AM

Kid
Blue tops are just dual-purpose (starting and deep-cycle) batteries from Optima. Functionally, they are no different than the yellow top deep cycle battery. I had one for a while before it died from improper charging procedure.

fliegendaffe
02-26-2008, 11:34 AM
Red cycle is best for a car if you have a sound system. If you don't, then the others are fine.

WarmAndSCSI
02-26-2008, 11:36 AM
Red cycle is best for a car if you have a sound system. If you don't, then the others are fine.
You mean Yellow... they're deep cycle batteries made for audio systems, etc. Thought you were supposed to know this stuff :p

Red tops are just for starting, really. They're not deep cycle batteries.

Kid
02-26-2008, 01:18 PM
I had one for a while before it died from improper charging procedure.Yeah my died a while ago and I had to charge it over night for 24 hours at Auto Zone...

You mean Yellow... they're deep cycle batteries made for audio systems, etc. Thought you were supposed to know this stuff :p

Red tops are just for starting, really. They're not deep cycle batteries.So it be better for me to jump to a yellow top or blue top, and if so, which one, cause' the Optima guide book just puts the red top specs for the Galant...

Kid

WarmAndSCSI
02-26-2008, 01:22 PM
There should be an equivalent yellow top for the red top that's specified for the Galant.

If you're wanting this for a system, definitely get the yellow or blue top - it's basically a choice of color preference at that point.

racesnos
02-26-2008, 05:49 PM
There should be an equivalent yellow top for the red top that's specified for the Galant.

If you're wanting this for a system, definitely get the yellow or blue top - it's basically a choice of color preference at that point.

i am going to agree with this, but i am more in favor for leaning toward the yellow top for audio systems. I went to SEMA this past October/November and i talked to Optima about what would be best and they said if you have a heavy sound system you should ideally get two batteries: Red = Primary Starting Battery and Yellow = Designated for the Audio System. i have a yellow top and i had my shop put in a custom clamp that fits amazingly!! i'll get a picture of it after i'm out of school... stupid class...

pinoyesv6
02-26-2008, 05:50 PM
the reason there isn't an equivalent yellow and blue top for the galant is because the 8g uses the group 25 optima batteries

http://www.boeseengineering.com/images/Boese&#37;20Products/BatteryTrays/75_25/BatteryTrayInstalled_Polished_7525_500.jpg

most of us here use the group 34 batteries

http://www.boeseengineering.com/images/temp/BatteryTrayInstalled.jpg

the group 25 batteries are a lil bit newer but have the terminals closer to the edge of the battery so that you don't have to bend or modify anything to get it to work.

another thing you might want to try is unbolting the clamp itself from the wires and try using the side terminals if you have a optima that has the group 78 side terminals.

IceDouTGaLanT
02-26-2008, 05:57 PM
i have the second battery you mentioned, autozone told me theirs another 1 with a diff mounting points for like 20 bucks more. i will exchange it tom

fliegendaffe
02-26-2008, 06:01 PM

Red tops are just for starting, really. They're not deep cycle batteries.

no, actually i meant what i said. deep cycle should be for starting. the reason why you want red for a system is because it gives power instantly unlike the deep cycles.

Reelax
02-26-2008, 06:13 PM
no, actually i meant what i said. deep cycle should be for starting. the reason why you want red for a system is because it gives power instantly unlike the deep cycles.

nice theory, but it's wrong.

heavy audio loads should ideally be running off the alternator anyways (meaning the car is running), but a deep cycle (yellow top) allows you to run it off the battery w/ engine off and still have reserve to start the car (for a reasonable amount of time). red tops have higher cold cranking amps than yellow top (for brute force of stating in difficult conditions) but they discharge much more quickly under load. this quick discharge is why they are NOT good for audio and accessories. optima themselves will tell u the same; unless you know better than the people that make these products, i would just follow their advice. if u want instant burts of power u need a capacitor(s) and/or an uprated alternator.

IceDouTGaLanT
02-26-2008, 06:14 PM
From their site:..

The OPTIMA RedTop battery delivers high power cranking ability with greater resistance to the biggest causes of battery failure. The RedTop is commonly used in trucks, SUV's, luxury cars, hot rods, off-road vehicles and other applications where a leak-proof, high power, long-lasting starting battery is ideal.

The YellowTop is one of the only true dual-purpose batteries available. It is commonly used in any application that demands cranking power and heavy cycling. Trucks with winches, cars with high-demand audio systems, commercial trucks and equipment all rely on this battery to provide ultimate starting and deep cycle power.

The OPTIMA BlueTop battery is available as a starting or deep cycle battery for marine and RV applications and has all the valuable characteristics of its two brothers - the RedTop and YellowTop. It's perfect for boats with electric trolling motors, onboard electronics or stereo systems and RV's with “creature comforts” that tend to drain batteries quickly. The BlueTop is the battery for those who simply need a sure-starting, strong cranking, maintenance-free power source.

So it looks like ill exchange my red top for yellow tom..

WarmAndSCSI
02-26-2008, 06:14 PM

Batteries don't work like capacitors...

Optima® offers two basic battery types: Optima starter type batteries, and Optima dual-purpose deep cycle/starter batteries. The Optima starter type batteries are superior replacement units for your car, truck, boat, or other vehicle. Optima deep cycle/starter batteries serve dual purposes: They are superior starter batteries, but they also are designed to withstand repeated deep discharging (down to a charge level of 10.5 volts) without having their life span shortened. This ability makes them especially useful when electrical loads exceed recharge rate (including times when the battery cannot be recharged at all, such as for marine trolling motors, or for running car audio equipment with your engine turned off.) Optima deep cycle batteries are very popular for marine trolling motors, winches, special lighting, portable power, and emergency backup systems of all types. If you need high performance power for car audio, the best battery for you is one or more of the largest Optima deep cycle/starter batteries you can fit in.

Don't you think Optima themselves know best?

Optima Deep Cycle battery = Yellow top
Optima Starter battery = Red top

I'm going to LMAO if this turns into an argument, because this is Optima's own info.

Prophet
02-27-2008, 05:33 PM
ROFLMAO @ flyingiraffe :smt044:smt044:smt044

Okay, so Warm. If I'm not running anything that requires a lot of power so to speak, like a system, a red top will be fine?

You would be fine with a Red Top Div...

Divinity
02-27-2008, 05:45 PM
You would be fine with a Red Top Div...

Thank you sir. I'm pretty sure my battery is about to head to the grave any day now :lol: I have one of those Pic-N-Save batteries right now installed.

Prophet
02-27-2008, 05:48 PM
Thank you sir. I'm pretty sure my battery is about to head to the grave any day now :lol: I have one of those Pic-N-Save batteries right now installed.

I have owned my Blue Top for years now... best battery I have ever used...

IceDouTGaLanT
02-27-2008, 05:54 PM
Caps are not useless, People buy those cheep 1 farad caps $99 and expect them to do something but they dont. I currently have a 15 Farad alumapro which i never had any dimming issues after installing it. You can get a bigger alternator to solve it also, but i choose this instead. Div get the red 75/35 $160 at pepboys. dont buy the red 34/78. The 1st one will reach the + terminal on our cars the other wont.

Fishboy55
02-27-2008, 06:03 PM
i am MECP certified, maybe that is why
I have so hesitated to get involved in this thread after reading Seth's post about arguing, but damn fliegendaffe this is the second time you've gotten into an argument with nothing to back it up. I'm not even going to discuss you telling me that Optima's explanation of their battery line is no more than boilerplate sales talk.

Mobile Electronics Certified Professional certification, unless you're AAECP, doesn't require any hands-on experience to "become certified". Show us you didn't just read a book and pass a test...(BTW, are you a BMECP, an AMECP or AAECP :) Make a valid argument in your favor. Acceptable answer would be the electrical schematic of each Optima configuration followed by a basic overview of acknowledged theorie(s) of the electrical principle(s) involved in their respective applications.

IceDouTGaLanT
02-27-2008, 06:12 PM
well 5+ years runing my system been running no issues man, maybe your had diff luck. And chill with the name calling were not 5.

Fishboy55
02-27-2008, 06:18 PM
i'm not just reading books you twit. i'm in trade school for it. I am currently BMECP and will be taking AMECP in a few weeks. not to mention there isn't many MMECPs in the world either.

OK so you are Basic MECP, haven't made it to Advanced MECP and the only reason there "aren't many MMECP's in the world is odd, I would expect that every instructor in your "trade school" is an Master MECP.

Since you're not able to answer the question, let's make it really simple for you. Take this thread to your instructor and ask him to review the Optima information and give us his theory or explain the difference between the Optima deep cycle and and high starting types.

That should be easy and since you're sure you're argument is correct, you're instructor should back you....and why you think I'm a twit is irrelevent

Imagine the battery as a water reservoir that's constantly being resupplied by water runoff... a capacitor is more like a glass of water that you can dump out on demand and quickly refill from a much larger source (the reservoir, for example).

Shit! If my instructor had explained it like that in EE class the final would have been so much easier!!! ;)

WarmAndSCSI
02-27-2008, 06:33 PM
I'm gonna be a little bitch here, but this is twice you've blatantly violated the "no namecalling" rule in technical forums, Affe.

Wow, I guess this is why motherboards have entire arrays of capacitors on them - it's just for show. :lol:

Fishboy55
02-27-2008, 06:34 PM
i'm not just reading books you twit. i'm in trade school for it. I am currently BMECP and will be taking AMECP in a few weeks. not to mention there isn't many MMECPs in the world either.

^What you said two posts up.

the main instructor is the only master mecp at the school. not to mention he was the one who was the one i got the optima information from anyways. so thank you and come again.

OK That's fine. Give me his name and mailing address and I'll send him the thread!!!!!

and it's not a "trade school". it's a nationally accredited trade/private college. don't believe it, go research it.

OWN3D! Now you're even contradicting YOURSELF! You called it a "trade school". I was using your words.

Time to say "IN B4 DA LOCK!!!"

WarmAndSCSI
02-27-2008, 06:44 PM
i'm not refering to those caps warm. every single f'n time i have talked about caps, i have talked about DC caps, not AC caps

Capacitors on motherboards are DC capacitors.... the only power running to a motherboard is DC +12 V, +5, +3.3 etc from the PSU. Same with car audio caps. They are DC as well since the +12 V system is obviously DC.

fliegendaffe
02-27-2008, 06:55 PM
Capacitors on motherboards are DC capacitors.... the only power running to a motherboard is DC +12 V, +5, +3.3 etc from the PSU. Same with car audio caps. They are DC as well since the +12 V system is obviously DC.
but they are not a power storage device

QnzMostWanted
02-27-2008, 06:56 PM

um all capacitors store power

A capacitor is an electrical/electronic device that can store energy in the electric field between a pair of conductors

WarmAndSCSI
02-27-2008, 06:59 PM
Completely incorrect... that's what a capacitor DOES. It stores CHARGE. Capacitance is defined as C=Q/V Charge (where C is capacitance, Q is charge in Coulombs, and V is voltage in Volts).

Yes, they constantly recharge themselves, but they store a FINITE AMOUNT OF ENERGY. The capacitive effect between the plates causes ENERGY TO BE STORED. I've thoroughly convinced you don't know what you're talking about.

QnzMostWanted
02-27-2008, 07:02 PM
so a capicitor in series with a speaker stores power? don't think so

you know speakers run from electrical signals that are converted to sound.....

IceDouTGaLanT
02-27-2008, 07:17 PM
hopefully a mod, could erase the useless comments. or we could always start a battrey thread with usefull info in the future if needed.

Divinity
02-27-2008, 07:21 PM
Caps are not useless, People buy those cheep 1 farad caps $99 and expect them to do something but they dont. I currently have a 15 Farad alumapro which i never had any dimming issues after installing it. You can get a bigger alternator to solve it also, but i choose this instead. Div get the red 75/35 $160 at pepboys. dont buy the red 34/78. The 1st one will reach the + terminal on our cars the other wont.

Thanks for the heads up Eyeliner, I mean Iced, 'preciate it

WarmAndSCSI
02-27-2008, 07:27 PM
hopefully a mod, could erase the useless comments. or we could always start a battrey thread with usefull info in the future if needed.

Just start a new thread. Maybe the alleged bickering will serve as an example for people.

dknight3
02-27-2008, 09:15 PM
for once i actually agree with warm! gj buddy!

Fishboy55
02-27-2008, 10:36 PM
This is just amazing, a person with so much conviction just doesn't know when to give up.

Especially when people who are long out of their electronics courses still know the industry accepted theories. Accepted by everyone but fliegendaff. Here's what your expensive textbook education is going to get you:

1) How many TGC members had their ICE professionally installed at a shop?

2) Of those, how many chose the shop because their installers are CEP Certified?

underated
02-27-2008, 11:18 PM
you go to that school thats advertised in the back of the performance audio & sounds magazine?

mapid145
02-27-2008, 11:39 PM
i am amazed by this thread. Warm just let it go cus its like talking to a 5 yearold. I am going to admit that i dont know shit about electronics.. but i do one thing. Just cus ur 'certified' in watever.. doesnt mean you know EVERYTHING about it. You learn most by experience. These guys that you keep disrespecting have been doing all kinds of work for a long time.

Your 23 man.. from a guy whose 2 years younger then you.. let it go.. why argue..

learn from it.. just from ur constant bickering.. ive picked up a few things.. like i thought that 2farad caps where the best.. but apprently theres 15farad ones.. now i know..

RedGalant2k1
02-28-2008, 12:03 AM
you go to that school thats advertised in the back of the performance audio & sounds magazine?

Not the same schools. Installer Institute is one of if not the best car electronics schools in the country. Some of their courses are taught by David "Fishman" Riviera. Then there is also RITOP. Both fantastic schools, both create highly sought after installers.

If you google them you will see what I mean.

Also if anyone wants helpful audio information learnable even by the layman go here.

www.The12Volt.com

I know Warm posted about whats quoted below, but this is from a car specific site (The12Volt.com).

Capacitor - 1 (polarized) An electrical circuit element used to store charge temporarily, consisting in general of two metallic plates separated by a dielectric. 2 (non-polarized) A crossover component used to filter out lower frequencies and allow higher frequencies to pass.

Capacitance - The ability of a conductor or dielectric to store electric charge.

RedGalant2k1
02-28-2008, 12:17 AM

I pruned most of what I thought unnecessary. Now let coherent discussion continue.

6G72gearhead
02-28-2008, 12:22 AM
Here is a test for you. Get a capacitor for an old style car ignition system, they have some that are about AA sized. Charge it up while holding it with insulated pliers. Now drop it in your hand and tell us if it zaps you.

fliegendaffe
02-28-2008, 06:34 AM
Not the same schools. Installer Institute is one of if not the best car electronics schools in the country. Some of their courses are taught by David "Fishman" Riviera. Then there is also RITOP. Both fantastic schools, both create highly sought after installers.

If you google them you will see what I mean.

Mobile Dynamics is also one of those best schools, if not the best one, as well. It's headed by Derek Lee, and if you are in the car audio world, you know his name.

btw, i'm not arguing this subject about schools. i'm just stating it. not arguning today, in a happy mood today

Fishboy55
02-28-2008, 05:11 PM
Mobile Dynamics is also one of those best schools, if not the best one, as well. It's headed by Derek Lee, and if you are in the car audio world, you know his name.

btw, i'm not arguing this subject about schools. i'm just stating it. not arguning today, in a happy mood today
OK we already told you Derek Lee doesn;t come up on a Google Search. So, do you live in Toronto for the 8 week training class? but you're from Bloomington?

Kid
03-18-2008, 07:34 PM
Well just to clarify, any word on a proper Optima battery for the Galant? I have the ol' 03' ES and my battery died again...Granted it hasn't been driven in a whiiiiiiiile, but I try to make a point and start her every Sunday or Saturday, depending on which day I'm off for the weekend...Anyways, I have the red top, so any suggestions? I may have to call Optima tomorrow and ask a few questions...

Kid

guynlidia2006
03-18-2008, 08:45 PM
i went to walmart and bout a short negative battery cable with a terminal built in to it for like 5 bucks and just extended it. Was very simple

ZigenScarface
03-19-2008, 06:08 PM
um yeah I think I do let me look around.
found one from other side. I have too much stuff hooked onto positive terminal so it's a little tough to see
but basically all I did was just bend the piece so that it would reach the terminal. It doesn't sit flat across the battery like it used to. If this pic doesn't help I can take a better one tomorrow

yikes jay wat are all those wires coming off your battery terminal? if you need help rewiring anything lemme know!

ZigenScarface
03-19-2008, 06:11 PM
Especially when people who are long out of their electronics courses still know the industry accepted theories. Accepted by everyone but fliegendaff. Here's what your expensive textbook education is going to get you:

1) How many TGC members had their ICE professionally installed at a shop?

2) Of those, how many chose the shop because their installers are CEP Certified?

im MECP certified =D