PDA

View Full Version : 4g63t and 4g63 question

Proud Galant Driver
10-14-2002, 09:34 PM
i have decided not to go with an evo egine because they cost way to much. so i have a few questions:

1) what is the next best engine to get?
2)would it be better to get an eclipse engine that is 16 valve, dohc, 2.0 and not turbo charged instead of a galant vr4 that is turbo charged if i put a bigger turbo in the eclipse engine then the galant had? i heard the galant only has a 14g turbo in the vr4, so if i put in like a 16g in the eclipse wouldnt that give me more power?
3)If I got a VR4 engine could i make my car AWD or make the engine work just for FWD without sacrificing any power?

by the way i have a 1992 galant that has a 2.0 in it and FWD.

thanks alot!

talontd
10-16-2002, 07:06 PM
1) The only difference from the evo VI and above engines is that they are rotated 180 degrees, w/ that being said any 6 bolt 4g63 engine will be the next best pick

2) The non turbo eclipse engines are 420a engines not 4g63 engines. The it's not the same motor at all. Go w/ the VR-4 engine and put the 16g onto that if you want more power

3) You could convert it to AWD but it's not worth it... if you really wanted AWD try looking around for a Galant GSX and swap the VR-4 engine into that. I currently have the VR-4 swap into my 2.0L FWD and the tranny is holding up but I would suggest getting a better clutch when it goes in cause the stock one will feel like crap now that you'll be pushing 190-195hp vs the stock 135-140hp.

Hope this helps you out a bit... .good luck to the swap https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

HIXMITS
10-21-2002, 01:05 AM
I would definately go with the VR4 engine because its designed to fit into the galant already. I looked into upgrading my naturally aspirated 4g63 to a turbo, and its a bitch, a lot of parts have to be changed, you need a whole new wiring harness and possibly a throttle body. It would be much easier to get the 4g63t engine and set all of this stuff up while the engine is out of the car, mitsubishi definately doesn't provide a lot of space around the engine for work...

personally, i wouldn't conver to awd. Mitsu's system weighs like 400 lbs, and it robs a lot of power. you can have just as much fun in a fwd if you know what you're doing. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

werkenskunkem
10-21-2002, 09:02 PM
i have a question for u guys,

i have a sohc 2.0 engine from my wrecked 89 galant, if ever i get a 92 galant with a parting out dohc engine, i know i can put my sohc engine to it but the thing is am i going to modify any wirings at all? ur help on this is greatly appreciated... thanks

PaulBlackGSX
12-19-2002, 01:36 AM
1) Just about any 6 bolt 4G63T engine you will find should work. Wiring is probably going to be a bitch and may require a new computer, not sure if the standard non-turbo ECU will be boost aware for fuel delivery.

2) Don't get a non-turbo engine with the intention of turbo charging it. The only differences are the pistons, and I believe the head. Most of the components are exactly the same. However, turboing afterward won't make it any easier. The non-turbo eclipse engines 94 and earlier were 4g63 (non-turbo), 95-99 used the chrysler 420a.

3) AWD swaps are VERY difficult. Often times they make changes undercarriage of the car to make the AWD fit. Never tried it in the Galant, but on the Eclipse, it's generally not worth it.

FWD do not have driveline loss of AWD, or the weight. For a street car, you should be able to deal with the traction, but be careful, even 250-300 hp cars have a lot of trouble putting the power to the ground, even more so at the track. You can still get good traction, it just takes more work.

ConceptSleeper
04-28-2003, 01:03 AM
ok so a VR4 engine will bolt into a say an RS chassis straight to the tranny? what are the swapability of the mitu trannys for the 1989-1992(3)? model years?

ken inn
04-28-2003, 10:05 AM
of all the cars i have ever owned, the awd is definetly the best. my first was an 88 mazda 323 gtx, 1.6 dohc intercooled turbo. even with the open diffs, an excellent handler, superior to both fwd and rwd. all you have to do is STAY ON THE GAS, and if the car is sliding, or the rear end is hanging out, keep the accelerator down, and steer, and the car comes right out. traction is amazing. even on ice, the cars are way more controllable. the galant is for me the ideal car, roomy, strong, and very powerful. with all the mods i have on the galant, i cant stay on the gas if it is sliding, because there is TOO much power, but it still has the same characteristics. and from a standing start, an awd will absolutely destroy any other car. from a roll, i MIGHT get beat, but they better come equipped(ported big 16g, rre pipes, jdm fmic, 2g mas, evo 6 560's, water injection, 18 lbs boost). if i EVER get another car, only the evo 8 or the scooby sti will be considered. the limits of awd cars are higher than with fwd or rwd, imho.

J apmetal
06-10-2003, 05:59 PM
I agree; AWD is much better than FWD, BUT I also dont think it's worth the cost or hassle of converting FWD to AWD