PDA

View Full Version : 4g63t and 4g63 questions

Proud Galant Driver
10-14-2002, 09:37 PM
i know i have a 6g and this is a 7g post but i really need to figure this out and it takes forever for people to answer in 6g form. please don't delete. thanks.
i have decided not to go with an evo egine because they cost way to much. so i have a few questions:

1) what is the next best engine to get?
2)would it be better to get an eclipse engine that is 16 valve, dohc, 2.0 and not turbo charged instead of a galant vr4 that is turbo charged if i put a bigger turbo in the eclipse engine then the galant had? i heard the galant only has a 14g turbo in the vr4, so if i put in like a 16g in the eclipse wouldnt that give me more power?
3)If I got a VR4 engine could i make my car AWD or make the engine work just for FWD without sacrificing any power?

by the way i have a 1992 galant that has a 2.0 in it and FWD.

thanks alot!

Jesse
10-15-2002, 01:26 PM
The tranny makes the difference. Use an eclipse GST or Talon TSI (not AWD) tranmission. They are built stronger.

Use the exhaust manifold and 02 housing from a 2g eclipse/talon (you can use an AWD motor parts). Then use a 1g head, intake manifold, and throttle body. Make sure you get some 450 or larger injectors.

Proud Galant Driver
10-15-2002, 04:58 PM
so i can use an AWD in my car even though its a FWD? just use a different tranny?

QnzMostWanted
10-15-2002, 06:21 PM
well if u wanna make ur car AWD, u'll need all the AWD components from the AWD car u getting the tranny from, its hard work, but it can be done, best bet is to stay FWD and put a stronger Eclipse Turbo or TSI Tranny in

Proud Galant Driver
10-15-2002, 08:10 PM
so what car then should i take out the engine from? i want turbo, 16 valve, and dohc.

QnzMostWanted
10-16-2002, 07:08 PM
best bet is a mix and match, 2g block, 1g head, 1g intake manifold and 2g exhaust manifold.......If u can get a complete 2g eclipse turbo engine or a 2g Talon TSI u'll be str8

ur better off with a 2g turbo engine cuz if u get one complete with tranny everything is perfect to fit in ur G

sabzi5858
10-17-2002, 01:59 PM
if the 6g galant is similar to the 1g eclipse (like how the 7g galant is to the 2g eclipse) then you will not be able to drop in a 2g block. the 1st gens had motor mounts on the block, the 2nd gens do not. i'm not sure on how it was set up on the 6g, so you should check unless you know. look at the front engine mount, is its bracket bolted into the transmission or the block? if it's bolted into the transmission, you can use either a 1g or 2g engine. if it's bolted into the engine, you can only use a 1g engine. also, a 1g may be preferred in your case because the 1g ecu and harness will likely be more similar to your car than a 2g ecu/harness.

do not use a non-turbo 4g63 and try to turbo it if you're given the option of putting in a 4g63T. you won't be able to just bolt a 16g onto a non-turbo 4g63 and expect it to run like a turboed 4g63T. you would also have to swap pistons at minimum to make it equal.

if you buy an awd engine and it comes with a flywheel but you want to mate the engine to a fwd transmission, do not use the awd flywheel. make sure your flywheel and tranny match (AWD with AWD of FWD with FWD) unless you want to end up having a lot of fun push-starting your car.

QnzMostWanted
10-17-2002, 07:52 PM
my fault, for the 6g, i think i meant 1g block and 2g head

Proud Galant Driver
10-17-2002, 11:54 PM
ok. i was looking at 2 different cars. one had a 4g63 and the other 4g63t. i was told it would be better to get 4g63 because the turbo would probably be worn out in the 4g63t. but now i know better. thanks alot. do u know where i can find a 4g63t engine? i was looking at one in a car with tranny for about 2000. know anything better? how much i should expect to pay?

seth98esT
10-18-2002, 12:25 AM
well what year is the car? eclipse? talon tsi? laser turbo?

sabzi5858
10-18-2002, 11:26 AM
another source would be the junk yard, or you could go jdm. the benefit of going with the junkyard is you only need to get what you need, but then again, you might not know the condition it's in. an advantage of getting a whole car to take the engine out of is that you can sell out parts you don't need to try to make up for what you spent. the advantage of going jdm is if you go through a good company, you'll usually get a pretty decent warranty. if you're putting the engine and tranny in, make sure it's a FWD unless you wanna attempt to convert to AWD. there is a method used to dyno AWD cars on a FWD dyno and i had considered buying an awd tranny and trying that, but i don't know if it would hold up to hard driving, as it's meant as a temporary change. you could look into that also though. also, when you buy a whole car, you'll be more likely to have all the parts you need. make sure that the engine and tranny (or whatever else you want to take out of it) work though. prices will vary a lot depending on model of car, age, mileage, condition, etc.

Proud Galant Driver
10-18-2002, 06:01 PM
k thanks

g96nt
10-20-2002, 09:41 AM
there's no difference between a AWD motor, and FWD motor
the difference is in The transmission.

you *SHOULD* use a FWD tranny, but you can use the AWD tranny just the same, if you get a viscous couplin eliminator (i can get them for $125..not Sold by anyone but the gentleman I know)
(this is what sabzi Was talking about)

your best bet is likely going To be to swap to a turbo motor.
they're built for boost. plain and simple.

mitsu motors Are strong..*very* strong, but you don't want to boost on a high-compression motor very long.

no matter *WHERE* you get the motor, unless you hear it running before it goes into your Car.... *REBUILD IT*

it's not Worth the headache. To have to pull it out again, and Re-do it.
do it right the first Time!!!

it will take an Extra 3 or 4 hours to Re-build a motor on a stand and an additional 3-400

but bringing it To a machine Shop after you spin a bearing, or snap a timing bellt Will cost you well over $2000

bottom line:

if you want a turbo car, buy a turbo motor.
if you want A FWD, buy a FWD trans.
if you're buying a used motor, re-build it.

in either case... modifying Cars... is *NOT* cheap.