PDA

View Full Version : Going on 120k, no timing belt change.

saleen1_sr
08-03-2005, 03:06 PM
Hopefully this post won’t get others to try to use their factory timing belt to 120k miles but I'm stating facts. I use my Galant as a family car and I do not do any king of hard driving. I have been unable to pay $600 bucks to get it changed since the 60k came around when it is Suggested it needs changing. My wife lost her job and we have a family of 5 making it on just my income. The only reason I have not changed it this long is because I cannot afford it but I finally got the funds and I'm going to drop it off right after work to get it done. You all don’t know what I went thru knowing that this thing could pop at anytime. Wife bitching at me that it did not need to be changed because her dad said so. (father in law, I guess always owed domestic cars). Too me it was like playing with a ticking timebomb with no time display. finally I can breathe easier now, knowing that I will drop it off today to get it changed.

Thank you Mitsubishi, this almost makes up for the fucked up brakes that galants have. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

DOHCstunr
08-03-2005, 04:09 PM
If you really can't change it yourself, you should save money by buying all the parts online at wholesale prices. like on ebay.
i got an o.e tiing belt w/ balance belt, water pump, idle roller, tensioner roller, hydrolic tensioner all for around 100 bucks plus 10 for shipping. and thats a completely new timng set. couldn't imagine what the dealer or a shop would charge me for those parts...

Marky
08-03-2005, 04:14 PM
Your a brave guy.

bronxbombr
08-03-2005, 04:40 PM
The balance shaft belt for the 7G is the same for the 8G. only the top timing belt is different. Also the water pump i can get for only 65 bux from my job i mean 55 with my discount from list price.

Doing the timing is easy if you can follow directions and take ya time.

Got quoted once at 150 bux then another time for 300-400 so i did it myself. Not hard at all once you know the marks.

galantebeige
08-03-2005, 05:19 PM
I'm doing about 75000 miles now, and I also am kind of short on money as well. All I can say is that so far so good, it's running fine...

:-)

saleen1_sr
08-04-2005, 09:34 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DOHCSTUNR)</div><div class='quotemain'>If you really can't change it yourself, you should save money by buying all the parts online at wholesale prices. Â*like on ebay.
i got an o.e tiing belt w/ balance belt, water pump, idle roller, tensioner roller, hydrolic tensioner all for around 100 bucks plus 10 for shipping. Â*and thats a completely new timng set. Â*couldn't imagine what the dealer or a shop would charge me for those parts...</div>

Thanks for that but I already dropped it off and having it done. I can simple jobs like brakes and changing bushings but little nervous about something that affects the engine. Hopefully everything is okay and nothing else needs to be changed.

jacuZZi
08-04-2005, 11:57 AM
good for you, cause if your timing belt snapped, it will cost more than $600.... :shock:

Russian7G
08-04-2005, 03:10 PM
my belts were changed when I was close to 90 000.. the balance belt snapped right in the mechanic's hands while he was trying to remove it :roll: :shock:

saleen1_sr
08-05-2005, 08:20 AM
Well, I finally got the car back. I might be that I'm not scarred anymore to give it some good gas or it has more power but it feels great. One thing is that the mechanic only changed the timing belt. he said that he was going to look at the other belts and when I wen to go pick it up he said everything looked great and he didnt need to call me for approval to replace anything else. He gave me the old timing belt and it looks good, no broken teeth or any cracks. Good factory belt that lasted me a good 120k miles https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Russian7G
08-05-2005, 01:43 PM
you better change the balance belt too - if it snaps, it's going to get under the timing belt = belt slips = bent valves