PDA

View Full Version : tire wear problem

Nyr0283
08-09-2005, 06:42 PM
well about 2 years ago i got brand new tires all around (didnt get an alignment at the time) then about 6 months later i started noticing major wear on the outside of the tire but not on the inside.. i got the alignment done at Meineke and rotated to tires. The tires lasted maybe another year (not even 20k on them) before they were bald on the outside and still had plenty of tread on the inside. So about 5 months ago i got another 4 tires and this time had another alignment done when they put the new ones in. I've also rotated them twice already but im starting to notice that they are wearing out on the outside again.

Anyone know what could be the problem here?.. i had 2 alignments within a year so im assuming it cant be that. The tire pressure is at 35psi just like it says on the tire, so they're not under or over inflated.

pinoyesv6
08-10-2005, 09:37 AM
35 psi sounds a lil high. but even with that, with an over inflated tire, the tire would wear more in the middle than it would on the edges of the tires.

Nyr0283
08-10-2005, 12:57 PM
yea thats what i firgured and even if they were under inflated it should wear out on the inside and outside and not the middle.... this is just wearing out on the outside

i thought 35 psi was a little high as well but thats what it says on the tires

jusmills
08-10-2005, 02:08 PM
Is the outside wear on all 4 tires (before the rotation) or just on two. Have you done anything to your suspension. Positive camber...would make the tires wear on the outside too. But if they rotated the tires, you could have a negative camber issue, then when rotating, if not on directional tread, rear left goes to front right, rear right to front left, etc etc. which would make it seem like the tires are bald on the outside, when in fact they are wearing on the inside, and being rotated to the outside.

I'm just throwing this out but did you have your alignment done with a hunter road force alignment machine...not sure if that would make a difference...

http://www.ozebiz.com.au/racetech/theory/align.html ('http://www.ozebiz.com.au/racetech/theory/align.html')

Nyr0283
08-10-2005, 07:04 PM
Before i got the alignment done the wear was only on the front 2 and the outside part of the tire. Ever since i put the 4 new tires about 4 or 5 months ago i havent rotated them and only the 2 front ones are wearing out on the outside, the back 2 are still perfectly fine. Im waiting to see if i could find whats wrong with it before i rotate them this way i dont mess up the back 2

I had nothing done to the suspension i just got a new control arm and the ball bearing on the front passenger side about 6 months ago. The only other thing i could think of is i had an accident on 280 about two years ago, my front drivers side hit the median pretty hard. There was no damage to the tire or wheel but could that have messed up the suspension or something else? But if thats the case im assuming Meineke would have said something about it when i got the alignment done

RedGalant2k1
08-12-2005, 09:07 PM
Do you have your alignment specs?

It could also be driving style. As a side note have you ever replaced the struts? If not thats another factor to the shoulder wear of your tires.

bronxbombr
08-12-2005, 09:30 PM
If not alignment, then maybe ball joints and or inner tierods need changing, even after you get a wheel alignment if the inner rods are bad they will eventually throw your shit off. If not that and your car is dropped then it may be a problem with your camber.

Nyr0283
08-12-2005, 10:08 PM
no i have changed the struts yets ever since i've had the car and nothing was done to the suspension as far as lowering the car. I did replace the ball joint on the passenger side and asked my mechanic to replace the one on the drivers side but he checked it out and said no need.

i also dont push the car that hard, pretty much drive it normally.

so i should probably get the inner tie rods and the struts checked out?

RedGalant2k1
08-14-2005, 02:19 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Nyr0283)</div><div class='quotemain'>no i have changed the struts yets ever since i've had the car and nothing was done to the suspension as far as lowering the car. I did replace the ball joint on the passenger side and asked my mechanic to replace the one on the drivers side but he checked it out and said no need. Â*

i also dont push the car that hard, pretty much drive it normally. Â*

so i should probably get the inner tie rods and the struts checked out?</div>

How many miles on the car? If its more than 50,000 the struts should be replaced.

Nyr0283
08-14-2005, 03:07 PM
i bought it with 64k and the owner didnt mention anything about replacing struts.. its not got 102k.. i have an appointment on tuesday to get them checked out/replaced

timbojones
02-09-2010, 12:13 PM
hey man i was just reading this post and i am having issues with my rear end. there is significant tire wear on the outside of the rear driver side, you would suggest that its the tie rods?