PDA

View Full Version : electrical problem, car wont start, really confused

cardude03
08-14-2005, 06:05 PM
okay guys, i got a problem, and i really hope you guys can help me as soon as possible, cuz my car wont start.

today, i had two things to do, put in some new tail lights, and put in a cai extension tube onto my ram air. earlier in the day, i plugged in the new tails to see if they work, check the parkin lights, brake lights, reverse, and turn signal, everything was fine. later i get home, park in the drieway, and install the lights, everything is fine.

then i reverse into the garage and park so i can put on the cai tube.

i disconnect the negative battery cable before i start working. halfway into the job, i realize i am missing some parts, so i have to go to the hardware store real quick, i put the air filter back on the short ram air tube, and put the battery back on, but my dad pulls into the driveway, so i just take his car. i then come home, and start working again, i disconnect the battery, but then my bro comes home and wants to see the lights, so i put the battery back on, and try to show him, but now my problem starts

when i turn the key to where the A/C would turn on, i hear a clicking soun coming from the engine bay, sounds like it might be somewhere near the intake manifold. then i turn off the car, and the negative battery cable makes a pop sound, and some smoke comes out of it. i try to figure out whats wrong, so i try to start the car, and it wont start, doesnt turn over or anything. but it does make that weird clicking noise. then i unplug the battery and the ecu, and let it sit while i do some research online, after about 15-20 minutes, i come back and plug everything back in, then i try and start the car, and it still wont start, so i just start fiddling around with everything, checking all the fuses and stuff, everything seems to be fine, i can turn the key and the radio will turn on, but when u turn the key again to turn on the ac, everything dies.

i disconnect the new tails, but it doesnt seem to help. i checked some more fuses, everything is still good, later i tried my hazards, but they dont work at all, but i forgot to plug my tails back in, so i plug them back in, and try my hazards, the lights dont turn on but i hear a loud clicking noise from inside the dash, it might just be the regular noise from the blinkers, but louder cuz the fuse cover was taken off, but then the sound kind of slows down, and then i hit the button some more times, and it doesnt turn off, but then after a while, it does turn off, im soo lost, i have no idea whats wrong

summary

WHAT I DID:

put in new tails

started to put in CAI extension tube

PROBLEMS:

car doesnt start (doesnt turn over or anything, starter doesnt click either)

fast-paced approximately 3-4 second clickin noise when key turned on second position (i dont think its the starter, because the noise is when the key is in the "AC on" position, not when i try to turn the car on

emergency blinkers are kind of wacked, press the button and u hear the click, but the lights dont work, then the clicking wont stop, but after a couple tries of turning it off, they will

smoke from negative battery terminal

oh, and another thing, when the problems first began, my "car door is open" icon on the dash was blinking/flickering.

right now, i think im going to try and plug the old tails back in and see if that gets me anywhere, hopefully someone can help me really quick on this problem, i cant even rent a car cuz im not twenty-freakin-five years old yet. so i think im stuck, please help!

quicksilver22
08-14-2005, 06:24 PM
disconnect your battery for about 30 minutes, check all your hoses, wires, battery terminals and your intake piping, and make sure everything is intact the way it is supposed to be,

reconnect the negative of your battery and try to start her up, if still nothing, try to get someone to give you a jump just to see if the juice from something else helps...

i know you already did this, but do it again.

otherwise, i'm a little lost... the clicking sounds as though its coming from the alternator, but idk why'd it go out just then, but hell, they go out at crazy times...

cardude03
08-14-2005, 06:27 PM
okay, sorry guys, i wasnt exactly correct.

when i turn the key to position two (ac on) everything is still fine

but when i turn the key to position 3, to turn on the car, then everything dies.

and lemme go make sure i know for sure when the click sound comes on.....

okay, another thing, sometimes its the fast clicking, but sometimes its just a loud pop/click sound.

and i also found another problem, when i turn the headlights to where the parking lights are on, its okay, but when i turn the headlights on, they dont come on, and the lil car icon starts to blink, along with the maplights, and i hear a umm, sorta door-ajar sound, but a lil faster

Kalamidad
08-14-2005, 06:42 PM
check the CAI...maybe the sensor is not plugs in right. Also, do you have an aftermarket alarm in the car?

Did getting a boost help?

BKLYNLANG1
08-14-2005, 06:59 PM
do you have a multi-meter to check your battery voltage?

thebirdman13
08-14-2005, 07:29 PM
your battery died.... get a charger or get a new battery

manybrews
08-14-2005, 07:35 PM
you have a bad connection at the battery.
clean the terminals and the cables.

DOHCstunr
08-14-2005, 07:42 PM
check all your fusible links. if you heard a loud pop its probably because something was shorted when you turned the key on.

check your starter fuse, engine fuse, and every other fuse under the hood.(first thing i do when i have a electrical problem. ALWAYS)
if its a fusible link you usually can pick them up at napa or autozone.
one of them is bound to be bad.

cardude03
08-14-2005, 11:40 PM
thank you guys soo much!!!

i guess it turned out to be a falty connection, cuz i tried to clean up the terminal as best i could (auto parts store was closed, so i was told to just try to clean off the dirt with a knife), and then i put the connector back on, and everything has been great since. i dont know if it helped, but i also left the battery unplugged for about 2-3 hours while i went to dinner with my family, which is alot longer than i tried earlier during the day. i guess ill have to go pick up some cleaner from the auto store tomorrow, cuz i noticed that i had ALOT of dirt buildup at the terminal, but then again, i should maybe look into a new battery soon, im almost at 50K, and from what i understand, this is still the original battery, so i dunno. (anyone know how long a battery usually supposed to last?)

and also, now that i think about it, i was using quite alot of power today, without the car being on, when i was testing the lights and stuff.

P.S. when switching from a ram air to CAI via extension tube, is it necessary to unplug the battery?

peanotation
08-14-2005, 11:47 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cardude03)</div><div class='quotemain'>P.S. when switching from a ram air to CAI via extension tube, is it necessary to unplug the battery?</div>

it's a good idea to. i'd leave it disconnected over night. people say to leave it disconnected for an hour, 2 hours, 4 hours, etc who really knows. disconnect it before you go to bed, and reconnect it in the morning and everyone will be happy.

thebirdman13
08-15-2005, 05:29 AM
you're not unplugging the MAS so it really wouldn't matter... but hey if you want to, go ahead...

peanotation
08-15-2005, 06:14 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(thebirdman13)</div><div class='quotemain'>you're not unplugging the MAS so it really wouldn't matter... but hey if you want to, go ahead...</div>

i only thought it'd be a good idea because now it's COLD air so the ecu should re-adapt to the cooler air flow.

this is tuning in microhorsepower, but it's good to be thorough.

Kalamidad
08-15-2005, 05:45 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanotation)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(thebirdman13)</div><div class='quotemain'>you're not unplugging the MAS so it really wouldn't matter... but hey if you want to, go ahead...</div>

i only thought it'd be a good idea because now it's COLD air so the ecu should re-adapt to the cooler air flow.

this is tuning in microhorsepower, but it's good to be thorough.</div>

Every bit counts right Peano?

ha ha.

manybrews
08-15-2005, 06:23 PM
unplugging the batter and/or MAS will do absolutly nothing, except cause a loss of the adaptive idle memory (in the case of the battery only). this in turn will probably cause a crappy idle.

it will also probably cause bad shifting for the first 10-20 miles in the case of an automatic.