PDA

View Full Version : Replacing my front brakes (8g 4g64)

Da_silvagride
08-18-2005, 07:34 PM
<span style='color:darkblue'>Hey guys,
I got a situation here. (8g:4g64) Today I found out at the dealer when I got my brakes checked I need to replace my front pads and resurface my front rotors asap. They quoted me with 190.00 for all of it. In turn I was thinking I might replace the front rotors with slotted ones and get new pads. In addition, I got a firend that is a mechanic that will do the labor for free. So the question is do I get new slotted rotors and new pads for under $200 or replace the stock pads and get the rotors resurfaced? </span>

<span style='color:darkred'>ps. If I do replace the rotors to slotted do I need to get new calipers since the width of the slotted might be wider or will the width be the same therefor I could still use my stock calipers.</span>
<span style='color:darkblue'>
Oh if you have any suggestions or experiences on some good slotted rotors and pads that work well with the rotors post a link please. I am looking to spend $200 max with pads. </span>

bradley1997
08-18-2005, 08:03 PM
If it was me and I had to replace those items I would upgrade them with new slotted rotors. You won't need new calipers they should be the same size as oem, unless you are going with a big brake kit, which it sound like you're not. I have powerslot rotors and Hawk pads. They work real well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Performance...992803161QQrdZ1 ('http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Performance-Rotors-for-1985-2003-Mitsubishi-Galant_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33564QQitemZ7992 803161QQrdZ1')

These are an example of what's on Ebay. I think Krispy has these rotors and I haven't heard him complain about them. Just to give you an idea, hope this helps.

qnz
08-18-2005, 08:36 PM
you can find brembo crossdrilled sport rotors from www.importrp.com ('http://www.importrp.com'). add a set of axxis metal master brakes and its $180, and around $205 shipped

Da_silvagride
08-18-2005, 09:17 PM
thanks guys for the results you gave me so far. Keep the Suggestions coming.

devgrp
08-18-2005, 09:48 PM
You dont need any more suggestion. The pads and the rotors are real easy to change. There is a tutorial somewhere on this site. Go ahead and get the new rotors and pads. They should help tremendously with your stopping.

TexasMade
08-18-2005, 09:56 PM
You dont need any more suggestion. The pads and the rotors are real easy to change. There is a tutorial somewhere on this site. Go ahead and get the new rotors and pads. They should help tremendously with your stopping.

what he said ^

pinoyesv6
08-19-2005, 09:25 AM
there's a group buy on club 3g for some powerslot rotors and hawk pads http://club3g.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25719 ('http://club3g.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25719') the galant and the eclipse use the same brakes.

it is ideal that you replace the rotors instead of resurfacing them. the factory rotors are from the factory known to warp very easily. by resurfacing them you increase the likelyhood that they will warp.

pLUGSNEt
08-19-2005, 09:36 AM
you guys always say that we can use 3g eclipse parts but what year eclipse for the 8g... I have a 2000.. because on that group buy they ahve 00-01 split from 02-03 4CYLD... which ones would fit or are they all the same...

pinoyesv6
08-19-2005, 10:08 AM
just follow the years.

if you had a 2k1 galant use the 2k1 eclipses's brakes.

if you had a 99 galant use the 2k galant's brakes

and etc

pLUGSNEt
08-19-2005, 12:56 PM
just follow the years.

if you had a 2k1 galant use the 2k1 eclipses's brakes.

if you had a 99 galant use the 2k galant's brakes

and etc

Ok so just match the years...... 99G - 99E
00G- 00E

pinoyesv6
08-19-2005, 04:23 PM
i gotta cover my ass a lil.

the 99 eclipse is a 2g.

some of the brake components from the 2g eclipse like for example the rear brake setup is compatible with the 8g galant.

but like for say you have a 99 galant v6 and you are looking for front rotors and pads, looks to the 2k eclipse or the 2k galant.

Da_silvagride
08-19-2005, 10:01 PM
Thanks guys for the input. I am going to take the advice and take on the brembo and axxis pads.

Marky
08-22-2005, 04:06 PM
Hey Guys from doing a search I found this post, I am going to be buying new rotors and pads this week.

Which Axxis Metal Master and the Axxis Ultimate Ceramic.

I am useing the metal master ones right now but just trying to figure out of the Ultimate is better ?

Cheekz185
08-26-2005, 10:03 AM
Hey which pads are better? PBR/Axxis Metal Master or Axxis Deluxe?

chbuzz
09-01-2005, 07:07 PM
Also consider what kinda driving your gonna be doing in your new rotor/pad purchase. Do you use your car for daily driver, or with some "spirited" driving here and there, or autocross. The different pad material(semi-metellic, ceramic, organic, etc) each have there own advantages/disadvantages. Just like the solid (vented) rotors vs. slotted and or crossdrilled rotors. What may be important to you in a brake setup might not be important to me or the next person.
Keep in mind if you have a performace setup; in general there going to be more spendy with the disadvantage of not lasting as long(same rule when buying tires) and have a few possible neg. side effects. Myself I don't think I would *need* a slotted/crossdrilled rotor w/hawk pads. cus thats a rotor pad combination that geared more toward performance side than what I'll need... more likely to wear faster and need replaced sooner= $$.
I fall in the middle of the performance vs. daily driver type. I will probably get some good aftermarket rotors and get some good aftermarket pads (semi-metellic) that will outperform OEM brake setup and they still will last and be reliable for $100 for everything. You can get good rotors around $30-40 each and you can get very good pads nowadays for around $30. Then I would spend my extra $100 I saved on getting some bendix import-quiet pads and new bendix rotors, which I just bought for $100 for my aging eclipse and have better than OEM stopping power on both Mitsu's 8)

chbuzz
09-01-2005, 07:13 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cheekz185)</div><div class='quotemain'>Hey which pads are better? PBR/Axxis Metal Master or Axxis Deluxe?</div>deluxe= longer wear/quieter.. metel master= lil better performance more likely to squel/have brake dust. I have axxis deluxe on the rears on the eclipse. I like em but its the rears tho... should be on the fronts to really test em.