PDA

View Full Version : metal head gasket?

94es24
10-15-2002, 09:11 PM
Does anybody know of a metal head gasket made for the 4g64 sohc? If so, who?

Kain
10-15-2002, 09:28 PM
Umm, you can pick one up at your local Mitsubishi dealership...

Every head gasket that I've ever seen (Honda, Ford, GM, Chrysler, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Toyota, and Mazda) was made of some sort of metal.

Are you looking for a particular type of metal?

94es24
10-15-2002, 10:11 PM
most of the metal head gasket are composites of metal and ?.
I looking for an all metal head gasket (like the 4g63t head gasket.).

Kain
10-15-2002, 10:24 PM
I may be wrong, but I think you can use the 4g63 head gasket. The blocks are the same. But my question is: Why? Why do you want an all metal head gasket?

Dark Anghell
10-15-2002, 10:52 PM
I think that the reason why is because metal head gaskets are stronger, also you have an option of getting a thicker gasket, thus lowering your compression ratio, thus being able to run higher boost levels without melting your pistons. This is the cheaper way of lowering the compression, the more expensive way would be new pistons.

I'm not sure if the gasket from 4g63t will fit for one reason. As some of you might remember, the head on 4g63t has extra openings for cooling purposes. Our engine blocks don't have them, soo in my opinion the structure/seal would not be as strong, when you have extra holes in the head gasket.

94es24
10-15-2002, 11:44 PM
I need an all metal head gasket for high boost aplication. I already have lower compression pistons but the head gasket still blew but I think that it mainly had to do with timing advancing to far.

TurboGalant
10-16-2002, 09:27 AM
I would not mind a new gasket either. Where can we get one that is thicker and stronger than the stock gasket?

Kain
10-16-2002, 12:14 PM
Hmm, my earlier post did not survive all the way to the board, so I'll try again...

You could always go to one of the aftermarket gasket suppliers and see if they'd make you one. I mean, that's how all the others got made. It'd probably be kinda expensive, and would likely take a little bit of time, but they'd make it for you. Either way, I'd take a long comparative look between the '63 gasket and the '64 gasket. I just can't imagine that the diffrences would be that great. I mean, I think the Eclipses have one extra hole for the water jacket, but that's probably not even worth worrying about.

94es24
10-16-2002, 06:04 PM
RPW has emailed me back saying that they have stronger than stock gasket that would also lower compression. Cost has not been emailed to me yet. When it does I will post it.

Spyder4G64t
10-20-2002, 07:55 PM
http://www.nipponpower.com/engine/index_gasket.html ('http://www.nipponpower.com/engine/index_gasket.html')

They make head gaskets for the 4G63T in different sizes. One of the bore sizes is 87mm, which should be good for our engines. If you have the stock SOHC head, you'll need to make a couple of holes through the gasket for the extra oil drain passages, but that shouldn't be too hard.