PDA

View Full Version : Brake hard and car dies

9G
08-30-2005, 08:41 AM
Anyone else have this problem? I had it happened almost 3 times since I have owned the car.

jusmills
08-30-2005, 09:10 AM
You should take it in...I'm assuming the car is pretty new and still should be under warranty....get it handled now...Does it happen every time you brake hard?

9G
08-30-2005, 09:31 AM
The car is about 1.5 years old now. I brought it in a year ago but they said that there isnt anything wrong with it. The only way they can see whats happening is if they can keep my car for a week and play around with it. I said no especially they wouln't give me a rental car.

The stalls happens very random. one was a year ago, one was unknown and the other one was just yesterday.

peanotation
08-30-2005, 09:35 AM
i dont know people still put up with sub-standard service from their dealership. go back and ask to talk to a manager and explain how dangerous of a problem this is. don't leave until your satisfied, even if you have to stand there all day yelling at people.

you just want the problem analyzed and fixed, it shouldn't require a miracle.

my guess as to why it happens is that your brake booster or master cylinder is drawing too much power at once (like a surge) and the car can't keep up. i'm sure manybrews would have an idea, i could be completely wrong.

9G
08-30-2005, 09:41 AM
i can do that only if I had another car... My part time job requires me to drive kids from places to places so I have no choice but to leave and make some money.

Hold on, brake boosters use power? I thought they use vacuum?

ipaintu
08-30-2005, 12:01 PM
ok this is what you do... Go there and get the service guy in your car for a TEST DRIVE.. Now this is the easy part.. Drive around doing what you do when it dies. Go far away from dealership tho till it does it. Then take him back.

1 your not sitting there yelling and wasting time.
2 he cant just get out of your car and say I havent time to do a check on it. Lie to the guy to get him in your car. Then when he suggests to return to the dealership just make alot of wrong turns.. One on the freeway near by and then one into a local neighborhood then the long way back..
3 youll get your point across without maken an asshat of yourself and if you do its only to one person.
4 once he gets outta your car he will fix it and be propmt about it i bet. Cause now he sees your not fucking around..

Yellin never helps anything, you yell at my shop your asked to leave. You come in with the right smile on your face and they will break their backs helping you. No one likes to be yelled at including yourself. think about that ..

A level head in this is better than anything. Yes you do explain to them about the safety issues. Yes you do advise them you carry small kids to local locations thru out your day.
Also call your Car INsurance I bet youll have rental coverage. If not do this..
Call around to find a dealership that has a loaner program. Im sure there is one out there somewhere..
See issues getting better. no yelling required..

Hope this helps.

dave1
08-30-2005, 12:29 PM
Well he says it only happened 3 times in a year and a half so i seriously doubt it will happen when they are in the car with him.

I agree with peano tho, demand they look at it your the customer, theres something worng with your car and you want it checked out before you get hurt.

thebirdman13
08-30-2005, 02:33 PM
heck, maybe there is a loose wire somewhere near your brake pedal that gets kncked around when you brake hard...and it's shorting something out for a second causing your car to shut off... definately take it there, and demand a replacement car until they fix it... it is under warranty, isn't it?

9G
08-30-2005, 03:21 PM
yea, I think its more on the new technology that they use to open and close the throtle body. The engine dies because the rpm just goes below the 700-800rpm mark and it just dies. Im guessing it has something to do with the throtle-by-wire thing.

invertedzero
10-03-2005, 10:35 PM
was this problem solved?

9G
10-03-2005, 10:39 PM
not really. You'ld actually feel the engine when it is just about to die when stopping on a stop sign. Now that I have my stock air box on, I'll find me some time to get it checked out again.

Tech_Greek
04-01-2006, 01:06 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(9G)</div><div class='quotemain'>i can do that only if I had another car... My part time job requires me to drive kids from places to places so I have no choice but to leave and make some money.

Hold on, brake boosters use power? I thought they use vacuum?</div>

They do use Vacuum (turn your car off going 60mph on a long straight and try and stand on the brakes, isn't fun is it?), however, if you were to hit the brake pedal and there was a short in the wiring it could cause a surge in the power and kill the car therefore you're shot...

- Tech

ChikagoGTZ
04-01-2006, 08:55 AM
My lumina did this whenever I braked REALLY hard...like to avoid an accident. I think it's just due to the engine not slowing down as fast as the tranny....causing the torque converter to stall. Then the engine will be "WTF?" and stall out? My 67 Tempest would also do this if I didn't dump the clutch when I slammed on the brakes...but I think that was due to flooding.

How's that sound?

seth98esT
04-01-2006, 09:19 AM
Sounds like a vacuum leak to me. Id assume when you are mashing on the brakes the booster is pulling a nice vacuum. So in doing so, if there was a leak, possibly could cause the RPMs to drop and kill the motor. Check for vacuum leaks, make sure all your hoses are clamped tight, ect.

cremeofthecrop
04-01-2006, 09:22 AM
but if it is still under warranty who does it seem like you are hesistant to get your required, contractual service. if you aint happy, give it back

unknown_owner
04-01-2006, 09:52 AM
I would go to the dealership with the kids that you drive around and let them know that you use the car to drive the kids around everyday. Also let them know what is going on and that it is a serious problem, especially if you car is under warranty. Maybe seeing the kids and knowing that this is a serious problem and if the kids get hurt in a car that was reported with problems, they might do soem more to help you. Last thing I think any dealer wants is several lawsuits from a problem that could have been avoided if they just looked at your car and gave you a rental. If you have to talk to the as many managers as you can, nicely of course. If none produce the response you need, ask for the number for the regional corporate office. Keep going up the ladder and as nice as possible. Someone will hear you complaint, especially if they also have kids. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

seth98esT
04-01-2006, 10:00 AM
^ Good idea. Time to take a detour to the dealership https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

9G
04-01-2006, 10:06 AM
hehe bringing back an old post eh?

I had brought it in and left it there for a day but i doubt anyone drove it for the whole day and get the same problems while doing so.

this happened since last summer/fall but never happened in winter till now. my guess is its

"I think it's just due to the engine not slowing down as fast as the tranny" chickagogtz

especially when i had the AC on too.

either way, im gonna have to wait again till it gets hot again and see if it still happens again.

hehe and i can't use the kids idea anymore since i lost that job a long time ago.

Tech_Greek
04-01-2006, 10:46 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ChikagoGTZ)</div><div class='quotemain'>My lumina did this whenever I braked REALLY hard...like to avoid an accident. Â*I think it's just due to the engine not slowing down as fast as the tranny....causing the torque converter to stall. Â*Then the engine will be "WTF?" and stall out? Â*My 67 Tempest would also do this if I didn't dump the clutch when I slammed on the brakes...but I think that was due to flooding.

How's that sound?</div>

There's no way the TQ can do that, it's controlled by a pump inside the converter it self that autoamtically does everything instead of having to clutch things.

I'd go straight to Mitisubishi America's corporate and complain, as if it's anything as serious as it sounds, the dealership will HAVE to take it in, and they might issue a recall based on the issue.

I personally haven't had this issue yet...

9G
04-01-2006, 11:39 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tech_Greek)</div><div class='quotemain'>

I personally haven't had this issue yet...</div>

haha thats cause you got 2 more cylinders and about 70hp/100torque more than me.

ChikagoGTZ
04-01-2006, 12:51 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tech_Greek)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ChikagoGTZ)</div><div class='quotemain'>My lumina did this whenever I braked REALLY hard...like to avoid an accident. Â*I think it's just due to the engine not slowing down as fast as the tranny....causing the torque converter to stall. Â*Then the engine will be "WTF?" and stall out? Â*My 67 Tempest would also do this if I didn't dump the clutch when I slammed on the brakes...but I think that was due to flooding.

How's that sound?</div>

There's no way the TQ can do that, it's controlled by a pump inside the converter it self that autoamtically does everything instead of having to clutch things.

I'd go straight to Mitisubishi America's corporate and complain, as if it's anything as serious as it sounds, the dealership will HAVE to take it in, and they might issue a recall based on the issue.

Maybe it's not working properly....could stall out early?

Tech_Greek
04-02-2006, 12:59 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ChikagoGTZ)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tech_Greek)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ChikagoGTZ)</div><div class='quotemain'>My lumina did this whenever I braked REALLY hard...like to avoid an accident. Â*I think it's just due to the engine not slowing down as fast as the tranny....causing the torque converter to stall. Â*Then the engine will be "WTF?" and stall out? Â*My 67 Tempest would also do this if I didn't dump the clutch when I slammed on the brakes...but I think that was due to flooding.

How's that sound?</div>

Maybe it's not working properly....could stall out early?</div>

If the pump was messed up the car wouldn't shift right, wouldn't go in D at all randomly, you would defintley stall out at lights as the engine would try and go (that or you would wear out the clutches inside the automatic transmission real fast).

bronxbombr
04-02-2006, 08:00 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'>Sounds like a vacuum leak to me. Â*Id assume when you are mashing on the brakes the booster is pulling a nice vacuum. Â*So in doing so, if there was a leak, possibly could cause the RPMs to drop and kill the motor. Â*Check for vacuum leaks, make sure all your hoses are clamped tight, ect.</div>

That was my first thought.