PDA

View Full Version : About recharging R134a refrigerant, how much is too much??

galantebeige
08-30-2005, 05:36 PM
Hi guys,

I just added some refrigerant to my 8G, using a can and a pressure gauge kit from checker. The gauge has a few zones, green , blue, yellow, red. The blue is from 25 to 45 psi I think.

yellow is from 45 to 65 psi

I was adding bit by bit, but the gauge did not change much at all. When I removed it and put it back, I got a reading of 50 psi. And it stands in the yellow zone.

The can instructions say, "seek professional help",

Am I really in that much trouble now??

Thanks for any input

RollinBishiStyle
08-30-2005, 06:25 PM
No your not in any serious trouble, did you have the car running? If it is running your readings should be between 25-45, if it is off it can be between 70-110. Im not sure how much refer the g is supposed to hold and with what you have there is no way of telling how much is in there. If your A/C isnt blowing cold it doesnt always mean you are low on refrigerant, You could have air or moisture in the system. So unless you have a recovery machine, vacuum, and high and low gauges its kinda hard to find the problem and fix it. If its not blowing cold after you added the refer you will probably need to take it somewhere. hope that helps

galantebeige
08-30-2005, 08:36 PM
thanks,
The car was off when I got the high reading, but then I tried again later and it was way too high, I just took it to the shop... $40.

Oh well, a new lesson learned.

manybrews
08-30-2005, 09:59 PM
leave AC work to professionals, or run the risk of not only an inop AC system, but destroying it and/or suffering severe bodily harm when the "charge can" explodes at 400 PSI because its hooked up incorrectly.