PDA

View Full Version : im so not happy.

ipaintu
09-01-2005, 11:42 AM
The last few days I have felt my tranny slipping more and more. I havent ever hot rodded my car or even tried to push it. I drive it nice and normal.. Its a shame they put shitty trannies in these cars.
I dont know if i should replace/rebuild or just sell the car and move on..

So I maybe out of the Galant game...
I am currently bidding on the one up north Florida if that goes thru it only have 34k on it so maybe a swap. If not I shall be looking into selling it or just trading it for a new car. I like My Galant tho But the horror stories are sad to me. I feel a little slipping while i drive normal It feels like a fish biting your hook when fishing... Sad sad sad sad..

I only have 60k on it.

Jet Black
09-01-2005, 12:21 PM
This further confirms my belief that abusing your engine/tranny in an automatic will only serve to extend its life. I've floored it in my car just about EVERY single time I have ever taken it out to drive. I've had times where I took it up to 130, came straight home and turned off the car (I hear rapid shifts in temprature are great for metal).

Yet my tranny still holds. Where as people like you and my dad who don't really ever push their cars...theirs trannys die of boredom. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

ChikagoGTZ
09-01-2005, 12:42 PM
I've got 110,000 on my tranny and it's still pretty good, I'm planning the 5-speed swap for the winter though https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

leth4lproductions
09-01-2005, 01:03 PM
you will be missed https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif

pinoyesv6
09-01-2005, 02:05 PM
have you looked at your fluid?? changing the fluid in my tranny makes it feel like its young again.

GreyGoose01
09-01-2005, 03:00 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ChikagoGTZ)</div><div class='quotemain'>I've got 110,000 on my tranny and it's still pretty good, I'm planning the 5-speed swap for the winter though https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif</div>

me too, can't wait

VegasMatt
09-01-2005, 03:24 PM
My trans went out when I had nitrous, did the level 10, no problems since and Ive put about 60k on that with the SDS.

Koncept
09-01-2005, 03:44 PM
i bought my g when it had around 18,000 miles on it, and it always seemed to have troubles shiftin into 3rd gear, sometimes in 2nd too. i took it back to the dealership every week or so and told them this, but they never did anything about it until my tranny locked up around 34k miles. then they changed the fluid, which fixed the problem a tiny bit, but about 4k after that the tranny just up and died. but the galants do have warranties up to 100,000 miles on that kind of stuff, so i got a $5k replacement tranny free. it runs awesome now.

dave1
09-01-2005, 04:09 PM
is this both an i4 and v6 problem. Any one with a v6 have tranny problems

ipaintu
09-01-2005, 04:12 PM
So koncept your saying it maybe covered under warranty? I was thinking the same thing. I need to have it looked into tho.. I didnt buy the car new I got it from a friend. She only sold it to buy the 9G when it came out. The car is in perfect condition tho. Not even normal wear and tear on it. The carpets seats and other stuff look brand new.. There isnt a scratch one on paint nor a dent. So I am torn to sell it.

Also this is strange It doesnt happen all the time just out of the blue.. Little slipp slipp then fine... now RPM revs or nuttin..

I did check the fluid it looks brand new Still nice and pink.. no discolor at all..
sigh! :cry: :?

I gues i will tho try a tranny filter and change to see wear that goes. The car still runs fine and shifts normal just every now and then a slipp ...

Thanks for the replies tho..

Djayfusion99_es_v6
09-07-2005, 10:49 PM
this might sound weird but did u use the right fluid in ur car the one from the dealer ?? if u used some kind of fluid that sed quaker state atf +3 it is not the right fluid makes ur car shift wierd also even though it looks pink are u sure its the right fluid?

chbuzz
09-22-2005, 10:51 PM
If i had a gripe about mine it be that it "shudders" some at slower speeds between gears. I haven't did a tranny fluid change/flush yet cus I only have 38k... but Im going to do one this winter. one thing I have learned on changing the fluid is YOU MUST USE DIAMONDSTAR SPIII fluid yes it hella expensive but its a must and if you don't use it then if your tranny goes bye-bye then your warranty coverage might be in question.
Ipaint you are at your tranny's change/flush 60k mileage interval. get that bad boy flush at the dealership.
Theres a good tutorial on DIY tranny change on here.
if your up to it otherwise pay a visit to satan :evil:

ipaintu
09-22-2005, 10:59 PM
you know guys I havent felt that "studder" since about 2 days after i posted this.. I dont understand Not even another one.. I am looking into finding someone I can trust and depend on to do this. Hell even the dealership guys can be monkey asses... Im doing my homework and finding the right guy thats all/

Its funny tho It did this now nuttin perfect... crazy shits..

Thanks tho for your tips guys..

4-G-rim
09-24-2005, 08:39 PM
There is a recall on 8g's with transmission cooling lines. Very similar to 7g's with A/T's...lines get clogged or fail and the tranny runs very HOT , which isn't a tranny's best friend which leads to tranny problems or if prolong tranny failure. Take it to a Mitsu dealership...if your car qualifies for the recall, they will take care of it accordingly no matter how much milage you have. THey have to do it...its a safety recall.

ipaintu
09-24-2005, 08:56 PM
sweeet so also since this is a recall shouldnt they have to replace the tranny if it overheated and caused belts and clucthes to slip or go out?

I think it should but then again maybe a class act lawsuit will follow since Alot of trannies have gone out...

manybrews
09-24-2005, 08:57 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(4-G-rim)</div><div class='quotemain'>There is a recall on 8g's with transmission cooling lines. Very similar to 7g's with A/T's...lines get clogged or fail and the tranny runs very HOT , which isn't a tranny's Â*best friend which leads to tranny problems or if prolong tranny failure. Take it to a Mitsu dealership...if your car qualifies for the recall, they will take care of it accordingly no matter how much milage you have. THey have to do it...its a safety recall.</div>

the recall was just for a POSSIBLE leak in the hoses. if they did leak, you would loose most of your fluid quickly, leaving you stranded.

One other thing that people should probably know here. On ALL mitsu trannies, if the cooler lines get clogged for some reason (it cant really happen unless there is already a major trans failure), the trans WILL have a total meltdown as the fluid coming back from the coolers goes straight to lubrication. If that supply is eliminated for some reason, your trans will probably last about 20 miles.

4-G-rim
09-24-2005, 09:01 PM
Well...not sure if they would replace or fix the tranny if its already suffered damage. They would probably look back on service history and if you haven't done the scheduled maintanance then they could say that you not doing that caused the damage done to the tranny and if you had done the scheduled tranny service, they could of done the recall in time to prevent the damage you have in the tranny currently. Trust me....I see this all the time at Toyota.

ipaintu
09-24-2005, 09:55 PM
mine dont leak so Im out of that one.
I found a shop that take a reading from your ECU and tells you where the issues are. They are suppose to be able to read everything about your car. TURE?

It hasnt happened again tho.. Its going in shop next week to see.

just noticed something.. Grim your a wrench turner? And in Orlando?

want some side work?

4-G-rim
09-25-2005, 08:13 AM
A diagnostic won't tell you EVERYTHING wrong with the car...it will just show codes the ECU detects as "problems" and usually if there is several you would have to physically check related code problems. I wouldn't say I am a "wrench turner"...if anything I still consider myself a novice. I can pretty much do most of anything with a motor and suspension but when it comes to transmissions i'm still very much a novice. Here is my advice...go to Mitsu check if the car qualifies for the any recalls do them and ask to talk to the mechanic to get his/her input on whats going on with your tranny then go from there. If you really need some good mechanical work...i'll ask some of my friends who are techs at the Toyota dealership I work at, usually they are down for sidejobs.