PDA

View Full Version : Does New Intake get better mileage

solofantasy
09-01-2005, 01:13 PM
Does a new aftermarket performance intake give you better mileage?

bradley1997
09-01-2005, 01:43 PM
Yes, it should. You might not notice a huge difference but an intake will help your engine breathe better which will give you better gas milage.

Niytrus
09-01-2005, 01:57 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bradley1997)</div><div class='quotemain'>Yes, it should. Â*You might not notice a huge difference but an intake will help your engine breathe better which will give you better gas milage.</div>

I actually have heard the opposite, that it will give you worse mileage... After i've gotten mine i've noticed a slight decline, but that could also be because I am abusing it more :wink:

seth98esT
09-01-2005, 02:02 PM
What? No it wont. Why would it? THink about it. You are taking in more air then before and making more power. More power = more gas...

pinoyesv6
09-01-2005, 02:07 PM
don't forget about all the gas you tend to waste when you want to make the intake scream just for kicks.

bradley1997
09-01-2005, 02:08 PM
When I got my Intake and exhaust done I noticed that I got 2 more miles to the gallon. Not much but I closely watch that stuff. Maybe it's because I keep my foot off the gas a little bit more. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

TexasMade
09-01-2005, 03:28 PM
i get better gas milage since i put mine in.

SinSere
09-01-2005, 04:51 PM
I don't know if it was necessarily the intake, but with my headers and custom piping it went up at least 2 miles/gallon. Less restrictive air flow will most definately increase fuel economy.

low sittin 8g
09-01-2005, 05:41 PM
<----- worse...

Reelax
09-01-2005, 06:42 PM
umm, i have a dp, cai, and full straight pipe/ true race muffler. i have AWFUL gas mileage. more air = more fuel = less miles per gallon. you guys that think your mileage got better are kidding yourselves. you can't have more power and better mileage at the same time unless you are watching an infomercial.

bergundy2k1
09-01-2005, 06:49 PM
I have gotten worse gas mileage but that is prally because I keep hitting the gas wanting to hear the intake scream. That is the reason why the gas mileage goes up. The increases air makes the fuel thoroughly burn and burn better hence the more power. But I think that the only reason is because we seem to hit the pedal harder and waste more gas.

seth98esT
09-01-2005, 07:10 PM
Reelaxis right. Aftermarket intake is less restrictive giving more air to the engine. The MAS see that increase in airflowing through and tells the ECU it needs more fuel. Effictively increasing the power. You guys saying you get better gas mileage must be babying the throttle compared to before.

Think about a turbo setup. It forces more air into your engine therefore the MAS tells the ECU it needs more fuel. The bigger the turbo, the more air it pushes, the more fuel it burns, the more power you make. That is the basic concept of making power.

SkylineG1
09-01-2005, 07:57 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'>don't forget about all the gas you tend to waste when you want to make the intake scream just for kicks.</div>

Exactamundo!!! This is the reason why my gas milage went down. I checked it before and after the intake installation.

chromed_out_galant
09-08-2005, 11:56 PM
just b/c you have more power doesn't mean you can't have better gas mileage. the more power you have, the less you have to step on the gas to go a normal speed. It takes less rpm's to gain speed faster. Wouldn't that mean as long as you are driving like a normal person and not a race car driver that you will get better mileage. That's just what I think tho.

pLUGSNEt
09-12-2005, 01:26 PM
Um I personally recieve worse on my first ebay intake.. i switched with a bigger eclipse intake and got better... and i have exhaust...

get about 475miles per tank.. filled up i think its like 13.2 gallons

I just switched intakes like 3 weeks ago

I drive 47.1 to work and 47.1 from work everyday.. I fill up sunday night at the same gas station... I drive to and from work starting monday and on friday on the way home my gas light comes on and i usually get all the way home LOL and fill up when i leave the next day... I have been doing this routine for the past 4 months.. when i switched my intake i notice on the ride home friday.. no light... tripped me out.. i though something was wrong with my car...

Now this is just my experience i know all cars are different.. but trust me my light comes on almost same time every friday going home.... i never drive anywhere else... if i do i use my cousins car...

Saturdays is when i do my un accounted for driving miles cuzz i fill up sunday nights....

So I would have though my gas mileage would have sucked with bigger intake but it proved me wrong... weird... And i am a moderate driver i rarely punch it.. even in stop and go on the freeway lol i cruse to freeway speeds after coming from a stop... people get mad but i dont really give a rats a$$... LOL

devgrp
09-12-2005, 01:32 PM
Highway miles is different. When I put my intake in, my gas mileage went down for normal city driving, however when I was going to NC I got about 350 miles on full tank.

Reelax
09-13-2005, 02:22 PM
just b/c you have more power doesn't mean you can't have better gas mileage. the more power you have, the less you have to step on the gas to go a normal speed. It takes less rpm's to gain speed faster. Wouldn't that mean as long as you are driving like a normal person and not a race car driver that you will get better mileage. That's just what I think tho.

unless your transmission is slipping, your speed in a given gear will always b the same at a given rpm; these numbers are locked together. for instance at 6250rpm in 1st you will b going 45mph. that will never change unless you change your gearing ratios. so your idea of less rpm's to reach a certain speed is not physically possible.

icEbErg629
09-13-2005, 02:43 PM
not to prove that I get better mileage, I've noticed that my rpms went down to 3500 at 90mph as compared to 4000 at the same speed w/ a new stock filter. maybe more air = less stress to engine = lower rpms = better gas mileage??

chromed_out_galant
09-13-2005, 10:25 PM
Reelax... I never knew that. I don't know. Seems to me like it's different when I'm driving but I stand corrected.

aznlverboy
09-13-2005, 11:37 PM
with my setup, header, flex pipe, hiflow cat, injen cai, 2 1/4' piping to a high flow muffler, i actually do bad in the city, but on the freeway, on the long run, my i-4 8g runs really good, close to over 320 miles per tank! when running stock, i was only averaging 299-305 miles per tank.

pLUGSNEt
09-14-2005, 11:21 AM
why such low overall miles per tank 300???... mine gets over 400 miles per tank easy.... is your california spec galant? cuzz mine is if that even matters?

Darkkend
09-14-2005, 11:31 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pLUGSNEt)</div><div class='quotemain'> is your california spec galant? cuzz mine is if that even matters?</div>

I forgot who mention it, but all 8gs from before a certain year are cali spec.

Koncept
09-22-2005, 01:07 AM
i just finished taking a road trip, and i noticed from full to 1/4 tank left was about 350-370 miles. just have intake/catback on the i4, and i was averagin over 80 mph most of the way.

mochanges
09-22-2005, 05:05 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darkkend)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pLUGSNEt)</div><div class='quotemain'> is your california spec galant? cuzz mine is if that even matters?</div>

I forgot who mention it, but all 8gs from before a certain year are cali spec.</div>

Other way around. All 8gs after a certain are cali spec. I wanna say after the 2000 model year but I am not sure.

Intakes, if driven the same way, can be more efficient. Many don't experience this because they always gun ti to hear the noise. But the bottom line is that most well designed aftermarket intakes are more efficient in delivering air into the engine. The stock intake is full of bends and snokels/resonators to keep engine noise down. Just as with an aftermarket exhaust, those bends have to be made smoothly and as straight as possible to increase efficiency.

See this http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/projectc...2scc_proj200sx/ ('http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/projectcars/0102scc_proj200sx/')

This was written by Mike Kojima and he knows his shit very very well. If you don't know who he is, google him.

For those that don't want to click the link, here is what it says:

Intakes reduce pumping inefficiencies, and exhausts increase exhaust scavenging.

Now none of this applies to a Galant if the intakes aren't designed well. I have read many comments that say "oh just stick a pipe with a filter on the end and your done." This is incorrect. The length of the pipe does matter. Pipe lengths are designed to create a resonation/pulsation that is similar to a suparcharger. This is the way that Honda tuned the older CL Type-S to make more power than the regular CL. Look here:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Vehicle_Re...S183.A1068.html ('http://www.thecarconnection.com/Vehicle_Reviews/Luxury_Cars/2001_Acura_CL_Type_S.S183.A1068.html')

So, assuming the intake you are using is designed properly, it will probably, if driven the same way as you drove with your stock intake, maintain or increase your gas mileage.

solofantasy
11-15-2006, 11:48 AM
Hello, guys, i just got a Short RAM with AEM dry. filter. ( i got it really cheap from a friend)

hmmmm, i heard yall's opinion. Worse mileage hmmmm?

i dont really have the money to pay for extra gas. so, should i put it on? i can never get an answer right? i mean, some ppl say increase MPG, some ppl say Decrease MPG..... i might as well try it for one tank.

reset ECU right? 2 hours?

Xrs2
11-15-2006, 12:00 PM
I think it all comes down to how you drive. I have I/H/E on the V6, and no tune (so I'm running rich as hell) I can use 1/4 tank of gas on my way to school 40 miles (no I'm not joking)

But If I take it easy, well thats another story.

6G72gearhead
11-15-2006, 01:14 PM
If there is less restriction on the intake then it requires less of the motor to draw air in, which will increase fuel economy. The reality is that most people who are putting intakes and the sort on their car arent driving them in the most efficient of manner.

peanotation
11-15-2006, 01:21 PM
this isn't rocket science...

MORE AIR = MORE GAS

just because the engine doesn't have to work as hard to draw in the same amount of air doesn't mean it's going to say "hm, because i dont have to work as hard i just won't draw in as much fuel now, i'm in lazy mode".

at idle, the filter is allowing more air to enter the engine, and the ecu adds more fuel. you have simply created a more efficient and powerfull combustion; also the theory that the car doesn't have to climb RPMs as long to reach the same speed because of the increased power is bs because MORE POWER = MORE GAS

6G72gearhead
11-15-2006, 01:26 PM
The key is "drawing in the same amount of air" if its drawing in the same amount as stock, why would it need more fuel. More power is not always more fuel the free'r the crank and valvetrain spin the more horsepower will be put out. To truely add power though, yes, will require more fuel, but by increasing the efficiency of the rotating mass and the resistance on the motor through acessories or less intake or exhaust restriction will yield more power without having to add fuel.

DOHCstunr
11-15-2006, 02:58 PM
The key is "drawing in the same amount of air" if its drawing in the same amount as stock, why would it need more fuel. More power is not always more fuel the free'r the crank and valvetrain spin the more horsepower will be put out. To truely add power though, yes, will require more fuel, but by increasing the efficiency of the rotating mass and the resistance on the motor through acessories or less intake or exhaust restriction will yield more power without having to add fuel.

your mass airflow meter measures every gram of air coming into the motor.
if there is less restriction, and the engine draws in more air for the same amount throttle,
then the ecu will give more fuel to maintain the desired a/f ratio while in closed loop.

open loop it doesn't matter.

the key here is that most of you guys who put on intakes floor it all the time(and don't lie)
so you get worse mileage, or you give it extra throttle so you can hear the cool sound.

but lets say you burn through 15 gallons of fuel on the highway and a normal(within closed loop parameter) speed like 55mph. and you were to leave it in cruise control and not touch a thing.

less restrictive intake would achieve better mileage.
then 15 gallons with the stock intake system.

do this same experiment on a honda and its a significant difference.

honda's run speed denity.
so their whole tune revolves around manifodl pressure, intake temp, and the hard volumetric efficiency numbers(in the ecu itself)

when you add an intake or an exhaust to a honda, you change the volumetric effieciency.
so on a honda since it doesn't actually measure the air coming in(just measures the air density(variable) times the liters per rev(constant: 1liter/rev on a 2.0L) times the determined volumetric efficiency at the given rpm:constant)
so when you add a less restrictive filter to a honda or any speed density equippped vehicle, the engine ends up drawing in more air than the ec is accounting for.. leaning up the mixture which of course increases power, and increases mileage)

you can't fool a mas though.
it measures exactly what goes in no matter what. and assigns fuel accordingly, so on a mas equipped car again===> more air = more fuel

mikedela
11-15-2006, 03:35 PM
with my setup, header, flex pipe, hiflow cat, injen cai, 2 1/4' piping to a high flow muffler, i actually do bad in the city, but on the freeway, on the long run, my i-4 8g runs really good, close to over 320 miles per tank! when running stock, i was only averaging 299-305 miles per tank.

you guys normally get that many miles per tank???? im getting 275 and i never dog my car at all...all my tires are inflated correctly ...ihave a short ram aem intake but thats it.......i do have heavy rims though its a big block of chrome (ivemetal 888's) ive notice a drop in gas milage since i bought them but that was like 3 and a half years ago....i also change my oil be 4 3000miles and i know im due for a tune up. do ya'll have light rims or stock? ALSO WHAT KIND OF SPARK PLUNGS DO YA'LL USE I HAD BOSCH +4, AND NGK IRIDIUM I THINK HA HA BUT WHAT DO YALL USE? I WAS ALSO THINKING ABOUT THE NEW BOSCH SPARK PLUGS THAT THEY CAME OUT WITH WHAT DO YALL THINK?

6G72gearhead
11-15-2006, 03:36 PM
But then does it still classify as drawing in the same amount of air.

seth98esT
11-15-2006, 04:02 PM
But then does it still classify as drawing in the same amount of air.

Depends on the RPM. Higher RPMs will draw in more air, idle will not.

milo111000
11-15-2006, 06:03 PM
depends how trigger happy you are. having that swoosh sound the vroooom factor, makes you wanna kick it more... but technically, prolly a little bit better than stock..

6G72gearhead
11-16-2006, 01:10 AM
Depends on the RPM. Higher RPMs will draw in more air, idle will not.

If its pulling in the maximum amount of air the engine can draw in then adding an intake is not going to increase the amount of air flown into the engine. Realisticly the factory intake will not flow the exact same amount as a new intake.

DOHCstunr
11-16-2006, 09:31 AM
If its pulling in the maximum amount of air the engine can draw in then adding an intake is not going to increase the amount of air flown into the engine. Realisticly the factory intake will not flow the exact same amount as a new intake.

its all about volumetric efficiency.

the engine will not be drawing in the maximum amount of air at pretty much any rpm on an n/a motor. V.E. varies from as little as 65% to as much as 93%.
intakes allow for more air to be drawn in at the same rpm depending on the load. at closed throttle the only air coming in would be the air the ecu allows to bypass the throttle plate via the IAC. so weather you have a giant funnel or a sea snorkel, the idle will be the same.
once you open that plate though, things change.

although its not a perfect world, adding an intake won't increase airflow at every rpm@every load, in fact there may be a few points where the factory setup might outflow an intake, but of course these points will be nowhere near the upper powerband.

heeroborn1016
11-16-2006, 10:21 AM
dohc your my hero. the amount of air doesnt change at idle your right. but what about a reflash or changing the maps this would run a different A/F ratio balancing out for the extra air, right? besides the MAS reading something different and changing the A/F rtio on its own, i mean this is why some people dish out the big buck to get piggybacks or standalones so they can change on the fly, right? if they can compensate when not gunning or lets say speed racer mode then they should recieve more efficient gas milage maybe not in a city environment(esp if you have a short ram) and also we all live in different cities, newyorkers i bet get the worst and LA might not ride so well in the middle of the day and i know it gets pretty Fuk!ng humid in FL so all of those different conditions will give out different MPG. also not from personal exp but one of my mechs. advised me against bosch stick to NGk or just go for ZEX. Dohc let me know if i got anything wrong.

also anyone running short ram will get better fuel economy at higher rpms/speeds and does anyone know how many screws does the throttlebody use on a 6g72?