PDA

View Full Version : Pulling the engine, tranny go too?

rogue187
09-07-2005, 09:53 PM
I just bought a Galant with a bad engine, do I have to pull the manual transmission out with it? Or is there a way to shoehorn out the engine and leave the transmission in the car? Seems there is only a couple inches of space in front of it. Also, is there a fuel pressure release valve on these? Thanks.

seth98esT
09-07-2005, 09:58 PM
Easier to pull them as one unit and put them back as one unit.

VegasMatt
09-07-2005, 10:14 PM
I pulled mine with the trans, was a pain, but the easier route to take.

rogue187
09-07-2005, 10:44 PM
Thank you, I'll do that then.

peanotation
09-08-2005, 12:19 AM
to relieve fuel pressure disconnect your fuel pump and crank the motor. it will either start and then die, or never start at all, depending on how long ago you last had the car on. fuel pressure slowly drops to 0psi after you turn off the car, takes a different amount of time for different cars

rogue187
09-08-2005, 05:29 AM
Great, thank you! I was looking everywhere for that little valve and couldn't find it anywhere, now I know why.

bronxbombr
09-09-2005, 01:07 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanotation)</div><div class='quotemain'>to relieve fuel pressure disconnect your fuel pump and crank the motor. it will either start and then die, or never start at all, depending on how long ago you last had the car on. fuel pressure slowly drops to 0psi after you turn off the car, takes a different amount of time for different cars</div>

Or you can pull the gas cap to relieve thre pressure.

peanotation
09-09-2005, 03:01 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bronxbombr)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanotation)</div><div class='quotemain'>to relieve fuel pressure disconnect your fuel pump and crank the motor. it will either start and then die, or never start at all, depending on how long ago you last had the car on. fuel pressure slowly drops to 0psi after you turn off the car, takes a different amount of time for different cars</div>

Or you can pull the gas cap to relieve thre pressure.</div>

i think the lines would remain pressurized no? i thought the fuel lines worked independantly of the pressure in the gas tank

ArtyG
09-09-2005, 09:39 AM
I read/was told to do both awhile back. Uncap the fuel tank, and unplug the pump - both relieve pressure. Then try to run crank the car using peano's method.

seth98esT
09-09-2005, 10:14 AM
Both work, cranking the car with the pump disconnected works faster. If you dont want to disconnect the pump, you can disconnect the pump relay right above the ECU.

rogue187
09-10-2005, 07:23 AM
Thanks for all the input, I'm going to do that, uncap the fuel tank, disconnect the pump and crank it a bit. Much appreciated!

ChikagoGTZ
09-10-2005, 07:53 AM
Rogue seems like one of the more intelligent Noobs we've seen! Welcome to the boards, and I hope the engine swap goes well. You might as well read up on Seth and Peano's turbo setups and get the new engine prepped for boozt!!!! https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif