PDA

View Full Version : Official Weight Reduction Post !!!

bowkraxis
09-11-2005, 10:33 PM
Lets keep the comments low and make this just an Info Post on the things removed and weight....... Post up and ill help think of things to add to the list . All the weight im guessing roughly... anyone wanna weigh this stuff?

So far i can think of Strip That Car!
Rear Bench Seat (10 pounds)
Sunroof (40 pounds)
Front Licence Plate Holder (aerodynamics mainly)
Spare Tire & Jack (30 pounds)
Carpet (10 pounds)
All Seat Belts (10 pounds)
Front Seats (35 pounds each - replaced with CF one 10 pounds)
Rear Valence/Shelf and Trunk Hinges (12 pounds?)
Interior Sound Deadening material including tar (50 pounds) If any under carpet? definately under the back seat maybe few (10 pounds)
Speakers (humm? depends on size and how many you have lol)
Gutted Bumpers (heard about it, will attempt) pounds?
Tow Hooks (?)
Mirrors (?)
Radio (Loose the damn radio, enjoy the hits from your exhaust and valvetrain)
Stock Exhaust replaced with side exit (15 pounds?)
Headliner and sun visors (get some damn sunglass)
Airbags (probly weigh alot ?) lose those suckers!
Smaller Battery + around 10 pounds or so
Hood Latch + Trunk Latch (replace with billet hood pin)
Hub Caps
Lexan, Acrylic glass replacement(?)
Metal Plate between glove box & outer glove box lid ( that thing is heavy!)
Front Fender And Splash Guards (8 pounds)
Unused brackets in engine bay
Center console
Foglights
Trunk Carpet, thingy covering spare tire
Lighter Wheels
Take some pounds off yourself lol (im 5'11" 160 i could probly go 150 lol)

Any Ideas?
:wink:

pinoyesv6
09-11-2005, 10:45 PM
ok. i removed the sticky. this post has no meaning as of now. so i took off the sticky. all it is is a big list of parts on the car with what you guess the weight is. maybe later when there are accurate numbers this can be a sticky but not now.

oh yea. and if you're thinking about removign all the seat belts for weight reduction, this guide ('http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=776885') is for you.

quicksilver22
09-11-2005, 11:03 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Airbags (probly weigh alot ?) lose those suckers! </div>

ban him for that shit...

first post is this? what about a fucking intro...

seth98esT
09-11-2005, 11:26 PM
Better then "How can I put dubs on my Gpimpridefoshizzle!"

But you wont notice much of a difference in weight loss unless you did what the guy did in the page Allen posted.

elieleb1303
09-11-2005, 11:40 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'>ok. i removed the sticky. this post has no meaning as of now. so i took off the sticky. all it is is a big list of parts on the car with what you guess the weight is. maybe later when there are accurate numbers this can be a sticky but not now.

oh yea. and if you're thinking about removign all the seat belts for weight reduction, this guide ('http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=776885') is for you.</div>

hey, i did that same thing to my car, its sweet, it actually worked... https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

SleekGTZ
09-12-2005, 12:01 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'>...oh yea. and if you're thinking about removign all the seat belts for weight reduction, this guide ('http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=776885') is for you.</div>

Ha ha ha, that link was funny! https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

They should have removed the engine as well to reduce more weight!

But seriously...removing weight is one thing, but going to extremes while substituting practicality is another thing.

DryBear
09-12-2005, 12:23 AM
http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/features/0208scc_scared20_zoom.jpg

g-ridda
09-12-2005, 01:57 AM
hey i have great idea lets all lose the seat belts and air bags then we will really be flying!!!!!!!!!!!!! out the front window https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

dumb ass idiot :x

TJC
09-12-2005, 03:16 AM
It's funny you should mention this because I took this out a long time ago, <span style='color:red'>"Metal Plate between glove box & outer glove box lid ( that thing is heavy!)"</span> and it is really heavy. Because the sheer weight was wearing out the plastic latch from vibrations... what were they thinking... metal will keep the body parts from entering the glove compartment during accidents?!?!?! LOL.

hsinya
09-12-2005, 03:52 AM
does this guy wanna make the galant a drag car? in that case u can strip EVERYTHING

dave1
09-12-2005, 07:23 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'>Better then "How can I put dubs on my Gpimpridefoshizzle!" Â*

</div>

i agree with that

its a weird looking post, i mean if you want all this done to your car park it in the bronx on friday night and come back in the mourning.

But yeah the post intrest me more than "YO I WANNA FIT 22S ON THE G SO I CAN TRY AND LOOK LIKE JAY Z CUZIN"

low sittin 8g
09-12-2005, 07:34 AM
i wanna put 22's on my g ride.. how'd you know i was jay z's cuzin

n3oAcid24
09-12-2005, 08:54 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(quicksilver22)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Airbags (probly weigh alot ?) lose those suckers! </div>

ban him for that shit...

first post is this? what about a fucking intro...</div>

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. how can you "lose" the airbags man? we'll see when you get in a car accident whats happends. to make it worse, he isnt going to have seat belts.............. :?: :?: :?: i dont think this guy should be driving.

pinoyesv6
09-12-2005, 08:57 AM
he's right though. the airbags would be useless. i mean think about it. if you odn't have any seatbelts, you already be on your way out through the front windshield or through the steering wheel before the airbags even start to deploy. the airbags would just be like a punch on your way out the door.

rainfever
09-12-2005, 02:23 PM
the airbags would just be like a punch on your way out the door.

lol!

bowkraxis
09-12-2005, 02:52 PM
Im just throwing out ideas for people, no i dont want a drag car. I do have front seatbelts (keeping them) lol (not rear though) and rear seat sound deadening removed, going to remove passenger airbag maybe drivers, no spare or jack (dont have to drive far to work)

Just curious of little things that can be removed from the car that realy dont serve a purpose i.e. metal plate in glove box, i guess let me no get to drastic in removing things lol

but seriously speaking, any ideas

im a determined newbie

peanotation
09-12-2005, 03:11 PM
Sunroof (40 pounds)

how do you strip a sun roof? do you just have a giant hole there afterwards?

dave1
09-12-2005, 03:24 PM
Sunroof (40 pounds)

lol i was thinking the same thing

bowkraxis
09-12-2005, 03:40 PM
Sunroof (40 pounds)

lol i was thinking the same thing

ive seen people mount a lexan window in as a replacement, i'll try to find a pic

link: http://www.sr20forum.com/showthread.php?t=...of+lexan+window ('http://www.sr20forum.com/showthread.php?t=70495&highlight=sunroof+lexan+window')

Prophet
09-12-2005, 03:51 PM
Some people take it out and then replace it with cf too. Alot lighter then the glass. I seen this on a couple of CRX's...

Jet Black
09-12-2005, 04:02 PM
Personally I don't think this is a bad post at all. Though just to point out, were not Hondas. We have the torque to carry our weight around. And besides low curb weight + wrong wheel drive + torque down low = awsome burnouts all day long.

RedGalant
09-12-2005, 11:11 PM
I guess you can take out your A/C if you don't need it.

low sittin 8g
09-13-2005, 07:37 AM
how about yyou take off your doors trunk and hood as well..

jusmills
09-13-2005, 07:53 AM
I'm not flaming you but why exactly are you looking to reduce the weight...I mean I know you can get a little performance, I mean stipping all that stuff at most will gain you about 0.5 (which is probably really liberal) seconds 0-60 time bring your 0-60 time down from 9.8 seconds to a whopping 9.3...is that worth not having any luxuries in your daily (and still slow) driven car?

Now if your intention was building something different or just a general knowledge post then its all good.

Chero2000
09-13-2005, 12:34 PM
lol.... Who says you cant have live crash test dummies!!!

Stewi
09-13-2005, 06:01 PM
the only time I can see taking airbags out is if you have racing harness' in the car and you wear them CORRECTLY. If you wear the harness correctly you will never need an airbag because the harness doesnt move, at all.

solofantasy
09-14-2005, 10:00 PM
you engine and transmission weights more! how about take them out =P

kevhp
09-23-2005, 10:11 PM
The metal plate in the glove box door has a purpose, it is part of the passenger restraint system. It helps to keep the passenger where they need to be in the event of an accident.
As far as the air bags without the seatbelts goes, the federal safety standards require that they protect un-belted occupants, you would have to be going extremly fast to be ejected before the airbags could deploy. If you haven't seen one deploy it's somthing like a gunshot.
^Just in case anone really gives a shit^