PDA

View Full Version : Power window kinda screwy...Drivers window of course.

G
10-16-2002, 10:46 PM
OK, a while ago I screwed up and ended up with a couple gallons of water in my armrest master control switch. Dont ask me how exactly, all I can say is that it involved a fresh coat of wax and a rain storm. Anyways the d-side front window gets stuck at two places now. I have to help it out to get it to go up or down at these places. Also when it DOES get stuck, it makes a horrible noise that I can only describe as a pager set to vibrate rattling ontop of a garbage can lid. It is loud! Has anyone else experienced this? What should I do? I can get a replacement switch at the junkie for about $70 bucks. I dont want to fork the cash over if that doesnt fix it because they wont take it back. I could go to a dealer and pay a diagnostic fee as well as a fresh coat of grease on my steering wheel and leather. Nah, somebody here will know what to do. Right?

Kain
10-16-2002, 10:53 PM
I'll tell you what I learned from the first shop I ever worked at. Go to the auto parts store and buy a bottle of Mothers Back to Black. Follow the directions on the bottle and "grease" the window track, especially the front part near the side mirror. I've done this on several cars including my own Galant, and it always seems to take care of the problem. The only down side is that it only lasts about 6-7 months. Try that and see if it takes care of the problem. 'cuz when the channel that the glass slides up and down in gets old and dry it tends to grab the glass and mess up the internal workings of the power window.

G
10-16-2002, 10:58 PM
Thanks, I have never heard of that trick, I'll definately try it!

BEAST
10-16-2002, 11:17 PM
Your motor is bad I have already had to replace my front driver's side motor because of the exact same reasons. My back passenger window's motor is bad too. It only goes down about 3" before making that noise. I forgot how much it costed to get my motor fixed it was a couple hundred though. I had other things done with it so I forget the exact price.

manybrews
10-17-2002, 07:02 AM
yep..
needs a new window regulator.
REALLY common.

BEAST
10-19-2002, 12:44 AM
Ok I am looking at the recipt and it looks like $189.99 for the regulator and $110.00 for the labor.

G
10-19-2002, 01:29 PM
Ouch, three hunj for one window huh? Well, at least I wont flip out on the service manager when I bring it in knowing I'm in for that much. I'll let you know what they charge me when I have it done. Looks like it will be a while though, probably after Christmas. Hey, ya know what would make a great forum? If people posted their service costs on repair jobs so the rest of us could see if wer'e getting screwed or not, or at least to get an idea so we dont go into shock when we get the bill. It could be categorized to make searching it easier ie; Brakes, susp, motor, trans etc...
Wudya think? Has this approach been looked at before?

BEAST
10-19-2002, 01:55 PM
That is a damn good idea.