PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! 02-03 gauges install, yeh, im a moron

cardude03
09-23-2005, 12:03 AM
guys i really need your help right now. im in the middle of putting in these guages i just got, but its a lil more complicated than i thought. since i have an 02-03, the cluster is a little different, and there is this black piece that i think i need to take off, but it seems to be stuck, right in the botton middle. and i need to know if i need to put it back on, or if i keep it off. and i also need to know where do i put the wires that come from the guages? do they go under the black piece, or over. im soo lost, any help would be greatly appreciated, i tried checking the tutorials, like, the DNA one, but i think its a lil different cuz his was pre-02.

if this seems really complicated but you think i might now, i can try taking some pictures, i just really want to get this done, so i can put it back in before i go to work tomorrow.

P.S. what would happen if i try to drive without the cluster plugged in?

ipaintu
09-23-2005, 12:11 AM
OK black piece as in what? The thing the #s are on? I dont follow.

If thats the black thing then I wouldnt take it off I layed my s7 right over top and all was fine.

The wires your not being a great help asking for help really
If you speaking of the wires from the gauges then splice them into the dimmer switch. and find a good ground. you should be done after that. Tuck the wires in and hide them
Hope this helps some..

Yes you can drive with your cluster off. I did for about 2 hrs...

Just dont speed....

cardude03
09-23-2005, 12:21 AM
hope this pic helps. i havent even gotten to the splicing part yet, cant imagine how much trouble ill have there, but right now, i just want to know about this place piece, and where the wires should go, over under, or where? and i do have a 99-01 bezel, its just not in the pic, does that bezel replace this whole black thing? or the bezel goes over the black piece?

cardude03
09-23-2005, 12:22 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v688/cardude03/guagepic.jpg

jeeze, showing the actual pic might help, duh

cardude03
09-23-2005, 12:48 AM
okay okay, so i found out how to take out the black piece (stupid screw from underneath), but i still dont know if its supposed to stay on, or be removed? and the new ebay bezel goes on top or underneath (which i assume would require driling a hole through it so i can screw the black one back on) and i still dont know how exactly to rout the wires

DryBear
09-23-2005, 03:11 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cardude03)</div><div class='quotemain'>okay okay, so i found out how to take out the black piece (stupid screw from underneath), but i still dont know if its supposed to stay on, or be removed? and the new ebay bezel goes on top or underneath (which i assume would require driling a hole through it so i can screw the black one back on) and i still dont know how exactly to rout the wires</div>

Bah, just hack off the black screw thing won't hurt anything at all. That way you can put your bezel on, as drilling the bezel is more work IMHO. I've had mine like that for a while with no problems. Actually you are in better luck if you have a 99-01 bezel as it is all one piece (no worry about light leaking from underneath) and no black screw column to worry about, and yes it replaces the original black shroud.

Wires should also go under the shroud - I made some notches for the wires.

ipaintu
09-23-2005, 07:18 AM
I drilled mine and have the bottom black showing It seats better. I like the seating better. I do have some leakage from the stock lights but nuttin major.

Oh did you happen to get a inverter also or will you be using the stock one. Youll be more brighter with a new inverter. I think mrjaydee has them for sale here...

mrjaydeeone
09-23-2005, 12:35 PM
yeah man he purchased the guages from me inverter and all

ipaintu
09-23-2005, 05:23 PM
smart guy huh..

cardude03
09-24-2005, 01:36 AM
man, this project is really owning me hardcore up the butt, i didnt think it would be this hard, but maybe along with the rest of the stress in my life right now, im just too agitated to do it. i've already lost two screws, one that holds down the RPM gauge, and one that holds down the cluster.

1) do you think i can buy little screws/bolts etc from the dealer? or i have to buy the whole freakin cluster?

2) you think i can buy just the needles from the dealership?

3) HOW THE HELL DO YOU GET THE NEEDLES OFF THE CLUSTER!??!?!?

4)i think i want a 99-01 bezel, anyone got anything? im kinda working on something via ebay right now, if i can get this whole cluster, it'd be nice because i would have back-up parts.

yeh, so i was about halfway through the project, when i realized i really didnt wanna mess it up anymore than i already had, so i took everything back off, and put everything back the way it was (except i didnt put the clear cover back on yet)

oh, and one problem i seem to have is with the RPM gauge, the needle or the needle housing seems to be getting caught on the gauge or something, cuz it kinda sticks, and doesnt move smoothly. anyone else had this problem or something similar to it? i made the great move of all by trying to trim the inside circle of the gauge with some scissors (note: dont do that) so now it kinda look a lil crappier, but hopefully we can fix that somehow, i just wanted to know if anyone else had a similar problem and what they did to correct it.

i also noticed that at high speeds (like 80ish) the speedo starts to twitch sort of, i dont know if thats because there is no clear cover and the windows were down so it was windy, or maybe i just broke something else.

jeeze, this project is really turning in to a giant pain in the butt, thought i could have it done before the meet, but now its not looking very likely, ill try and keep you guys updated on this, if anyone is even remotely interested.

Prophet
09-24-2005, 01:47 AM
:?

1. I doubt they sell just the screw. You can't even buy just the black bezel from them. You have to buy the whole cluster.

2. Can't buy just the needles from the dealership either.

3. You don't have to remove the needles to install these gauges. They slip right over.

Now the problems your having is it without the S7's installed or is the problems happening with the S7's installed?

cardude03
09-24-2005, 01:55 AM
i know i dont have to remove the needles, but i feel like i should know how, cuz i feel it would be easier to work with, and then i can finally clear them the way i want to. i already broke two of the needles trying to take them out.

the problem with the RPM gague getting stuck is only happening with the S7 gauges installed. im in no way saying that the product itself is faulty, i just think maybe there is something that im not doing right, im not exactly sure, i dont think it came with any instructions or anything. i did read one of your posts where you said that this problem can happen when the screws are over tightened, and i tried loosening them, but it didnt really help. if i remember correctly, it was getting stuck somewhere in the 3-4k range, but im not 100% sure on that.

DryBear
09-24-2005, 02:07 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cardude03)</div><div class='quotemain'>i know i dont have to remove the needles, but i feel like i should know how, cuz i feel it would be easier to work with, and then i can finally clear them the way i want to. i already broke two of the needles trying to take them out.

the problem with the RPM gague getting stuck is only happening with the S7 gauges installed. im in no way saying that the product itself is faulty, i just think maybe there is something that im not doing right, im not exactly sure, i dont think it came with any instructions or anything. i did read one of your posts where you said that this problem can happen when the screws are over tightened, and i tried loosening them, but it didnt really help. if i remember correctly, it was getting stuck somewhere in the 3-4k range, but im not 100% sure on that.</div>

The easiest way I found to remove the needles was to pry them up from the cluster at the base by using a pair of flathead screwdrivers on opposite sides of the needle, as shown below:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v294/wanderingpinoy/guagepic-prypoints.jpg

As for the needle sticking, did you have the bezel on? The reason the needles stick is that they are dragging on the raised "3D" part of the face due to the gauge face warping - if you notice the plug to the face is on the top, so that part will be raised up a little. Having the bezel helps to push down the faces to get enough clearance for the needles. Also, as you mentioned, make sure not to overtighten the screws in the faces. Another thing that helps is to make a small notch in the white part of the cluster housing to let the wires have a place to go.

Prophet
09-24-2005, 02:12 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cardude03)</div><div class='quotemain'>i know i dont have to remove the needles, but i feel like i should know how, cuz i feel it would be easier to work with, and then i can finally clear them the way i want to. i already broke two of the needles trying to take them out.

the problem with the RPM gague getting stuck is only happening with the S7 gauges installed. im in no way saying that the product itself is faulty, i just think maybe there is something that im not doing right, im not exactly sure, i dont think it came with any instructions or anything. i did read one of your posts where you said that this problem can happen when the screws are over tightened, and i tried loosening them, but it didnt really help. if i remember correctly, it was getting stuck somewhere in the 3-4k range, but im not 100% sure on that.</div>

If your missing screws to hold the gauges down correctly that is the problem. There is very little room and if they S7's are sticking up at all then it will cause the needles to slow down. Also as stated before if you screw the gauges down to hard it will force the S7's up a bit and cause it to get stuck that way too.

Instructions for S7 install:
http://www.dnaracing.net/modules.php?op=mo...yes&id_cat=2#q4 ('http://www.dnaracing.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=FAQ&file=index&myfaq=yes&id_cat=2#q4')

Clearing needles:
http://www.dnaracing.net/modules.php?op=mo...es&id_cat=2#q11 ('http://www.dnaracing.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=FAQ&file=index&myfaq=yes&id_cat=2#q11')

ipaintu
09-24-2005, 12:37 PM
I had the sticky issues at 3/4 k also I just tighten the screws to secure. I think i also took my heat gun and heated the arm just a tad then bent it out. You need to be carefull with that tho... I had the same issues tho thats somewhat normal i hear. Just try tighten them down tho...( the screws that is) you should be able to go buy some of them screws at a local shop Find someone that sells machined screws take the other one there and your set.

Hope this helps..

cardude03
09-26-2005, 04:46 PM
i was actually having the sticking issues before i lost the screw, and as of right now, im driving around with no screw, no gauges, and no sticky problem. i decided to hold off this project until i can get a hold of a real 99-01 gauge bezel, and ill try to get those screws as well, and then ill see how i can handle it.