PDA

View Full Version : Brembo Brakes install for 2002 g

LatinGalant
10-17-2002, 08:20 AM
Well everybody I finally got the rotors and pads for my galant from www.partsbin.com. The rotors are Brembo stainless steel the brakes pads I found out are from Mitsubishi but they appear to be EBC Greenstuff maybe Mitsu made a contract with them. The install went fairly well I had to collapse the calipers for the new pads to fit over the new rotors but that just took a c clamp and a watchfull eye on the brake fluid so that it did not spill over. Well today is the first actual day that I have driven with them I did notice though that the new rotors where about and inch shorter in diameter nad that the pads hung over just a tad. I asked my father who works on cars as a hobby and he say'd this is not a problem. The directions that came with the rotors stated that I had to drive them lightly for 200km which I think is 120miles (I don't know how to convert metric to american. So I will update within a week and let everbody know how they feel if the vibrations went away. I am also getting the tires rotated and balanced to make sure everything is squared away.

Fishboy55
10-17-2002, 09:30 AM
Hey Latin, congratulations on the new rotors. I'd watch the fact that the pads hang over the rotors if I were you. I recall a post on here recently about that very same thing. Turns out that the person having the problem had the wrong rotors. Hacving the pads extending past the rotors is not good as it will unevenly wear the rotors and could eventually lead to breakage at the weak point. Do a search for that post and read the details. I don't have time to search for you cuz I'm working.

Not discounting your Dad's opinion or knowledge, I just saw this posted as a problem and wante to make you aware, man.

Peace,
Chip

Nick VR4
10-17-2002, 10:15 AM
I agree with Fish here
Surly having pads to big is going to cause uneven wear
it might be an idea to check to make sure you have the right pads fitted

Nick VR4
10-17-2002, 10:40 AM
ok i have had a think and once the pads start wearing low
the over hang is going to stop the pads actually working
stopping the caliper pushing the pads onto the disc
YES
or have I lost the plot

LatinGalant
10-17-2002, 12:04 PM
Well friends you all where right, the rotors are wrong as I write this I am on the line with them and I had to call the dealer to get the part number for the rotors so I am working with agian, nobody should have the pads over there rotors this is not right..... I guess my dad was wrong this time hey but you learn something new everyday. I appreciate you alls help though I will update you all with the situation now I a screwed I have no rotors I guess I am going to have to drive my dad's lexus until the situation is taken care of.

LatinGalant
10-17-2002, 12:31 PM
Well I got some negative news. They are going to charge me agian for the parts and for the overnight shipping so I have to wait till tommorow because my account is suck dry. On top of that since tommorow is Friday I won't get the freakin brakes until Monday. Although this is really bad since I am moving from Orlando to San Antonio next week and I am cutting everything really close they where helpful and when they reimburse me all the money then I can give them an A. Here is the scoop though, there computers where wrong the part number they had where mr389724 The correct part number which they said they have in stock is MR475330 which I got from the dealer and told him about it. I also explained to them that I had shared this information with The Galant club and that this is really disappointing because many of you all are in the same crap I am. Rotors for the 02 galant is a pain in the rear unless you pay an arm and a leg for the crap they got at the mitsu dealer. Although I am really pissed off now because I can not use my car until Tuesday thanks to my sorry bank and to the mistake of www.partsbin.com if they send me the correct rotors on monday and refund all of my money for the wrong brakes I will be a happy camper but shit I am moving not going to have a job and this has to happen now. Anyways I want to thank you all for waking me up to reality and accepting that they sent me the wrong damn brakes. Sorry for the language I am just absolutley upset and there's nothing I can do.