PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Wheel Bearing any good?

Jet Black
09-29-2005, 12:14 PM
Ok so I believe my front drivers-side wheel bearing is going (i.e. everytime i turn to the right, I get a VERY faint grinding noise). Now I was wondering if the "ebay brand" wheel bearing's were any good?

In paticular, I'm looking at this one:
Link ('http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-04-Mitsubishi-Eclipse-Galant-Frt-Hub-Wheel-Bearing_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33729QQitemZ797 5752247QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V')

There is a $100 differance between the ebay one, and the what Rey Reece's mitsu site is charging (which translates into atleast a $200 differance from the local stealership).

Thanks.

DOHCstunr
09-29-2005, 12:28 PM
yeah i've bought one before, for my rear hub. replaces the whole spindle assembly
just remove the knuckle, remove the 4 bolts securing the spindle/hub assembly. then tap it out with a hammer(don't hit your abs sensor if you have one)
also a little penetrant helps to loosen things up. then after its out, take a little brake wbd40 and some sandpaper and sand out the oxidation in the bore of the knuckle where the new bearing will go. once its smooth agin, just slap the new one in(little grease never hurt anybody) bolt it down, reassemble your suspension and you are gold.
final step:
enjoy the quiet road once more :wink:

Jet Black
09-29-2005, 01:03 PM
Hmmm so I guess the ebay brand bearings arn't all that bad? I'm not worried about the removal/installation (good info though, thx for that), so much as the build quality. The ebay model is NOT an OEM. It's an "OEM-style".

pinoyesv6
09-29-2005, 01:50 PM
autozone has the wheel bearing for like 120 and has a 1 year warranty. i know the 1 year warranty isn't much compared to the ebay listing's lifetime warranty but its safe to say that autozone would be still in business in a year. can't say that about the ebay store.

DOHCstunr
09-29-2005, 03:46 PM
yeah autozone would be a decent buy.

when it comes down to it there are only 2 real sealed ball bearing manufactures as far as i know.
when it comes to a bearing the size there would have to be even less options for production of a bearing itself(the ball bearing not the assembly)
so when it comes down to it, how different could they possibly be?