PDA

View Full Version : Broken Stud on Wheel Hub..

atl_galant
10-03-2005, 05:12 PM
I broke my stud on my wheel hub when I was changing my wheels. Anyone know how much they cost and where I can get one for? I guess I need to change my rotors while I have them off... LOL...

seth98esT
10-03-2005, 05:24 PM
They should be under $10. Any tire or brake place or mom & pop repair shop will be able to fix it if you do not want to do it yourself.

qnz
10-03-2005, 05:54 PM
i just did mine 2 weeks ago. the bolt from mitsu dealer was $4. took about an hr-2 to do it all.

atl_galant
10-03-2005, 06:42 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qnz)</div><div class='quotemain'>i just did mine 2 weeks ago. the bolt from mitsu dealer was $4. took about an hr-2 to do it all.</div>

FA Sho..

How the hell do you take it off? It looks like it is screwed in. DO you need a special tool?

Preshate the help...

cremeofthecrop
10-03-2005, 06:58 PM
IMO take it to a mechanic

DOHCstunr
10-03-2005, 07:03 PM
just grab a big hammer and hit it dead on
its not bolted in. the whole thing isn't broke off at the ase is it?

if there is even half an inch left protruding from the hub, just put on some ear plugs and bash it really hard after praying it with some wd40. just a few solid strokes will get it out.

then just lide the new one in and tap it into the hub.

qnz
10-03-2005, 07:14 PM
its not bolted on. its just held in by friction and ||||| threads. when u buy the bolt, u will see. i tried using a hammer but i couldnt strike it on the head everytime perfectly with that angle and couldnt get good velocity. then i saw a 20 pd dumbbell weight in the garage and a few strikes with that (used it like a battering ram) popped the sucker out. putting the new thread back in was a little tricky too. couldnt really use a hammer from inside the wheel well so instead i put a lug nut on and kept screwing it, pulling the bolt out into the hub.

btw next time get a torque wrench and use 80 pds of torqe, that way it shouldnt ever snap off again. 80 pds is what the factory specs are, and that is surprisingly weak compared to what shops used to tighten my wheels to.

loser00
10-03-2005, 08:00 PM
those things are cheap as hell you should take it to just brakes they did 3 of mine for less then $10

thebirdman13
10-03-2005, 08:41 PM
you can get them at any auto parts store for around $1 ... if you pay more than that you are getting ripped off... and you must remove the caliper, then tap off the disc, then tap out the stud... put in new stud and throw some washers on it and crank on the lugnut until the stud is all the way in... all done i've done this about 8 times in the past year... all the stock studs keep breaking... guess i should set my impac wrench slightly lower...

atl_galant
10-03-2005, 08:52 PM
Preshate all the comments...

I will hack at it this weekend... I will take pics for a tutorial.. LOL

Ed
10-04-2005, 09:33 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(atl_galant)</div><div class='quotemain'>Preshate all the comments...

I will hack at it this weekend... Â*I will take pics for a tutorial.. LOL</div>

Hey ATL....gimme a call I'll help ya!!!