PDA

View Full Version : very curious

cremeofthecrop
10-07-2005, 06:08 PM
noe i know there are threads floating, but i am thinking about more power. i wanted to eith go with a turbo setup like the knowledgeable prophet preferred, or get the rippmods sd kit from galanrydah, now the headers question, what big difference does it make using an aftermarket one, and also, would you guys add these and still go on the "bottle" or it wouldnt be necessary? thanks in advance

Jet Black
10-07-2005, 06:14 PM
I'm assuming you have a 4 banger.

Go turbo....

Forget the headers....

cremeofthecrop
10-07-2005, 06:16 PM
very correct

Jet Black
10-07-2005, 06:20 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cremeofthecrop)</div><div class='quotemain'>very correct</div>

yep

In all seriousness, I can't imagine why you wouldn't go turbo.

cremeofthecrop
10-07-2005, 09:22 PM
my question is, that is there a big difference form going turbo, or using the rippmods supercharger? any significant power difference?

Jet Black
10-07-2005, 09:33 PM
Power is relative to amount of boost, size of compressor, and a few other things.

No easy way to answer that question.

But afaik, there are quite a few more turbo I4s than SCed.

DOHCstunr
10-07-2005, 09:52 PM
superchargers weather cyntrifugal or roots type, both are driven by the crank. so they aren't as effiecient as turbocharger because they are parasitic to the cranksafts rotation(just like having a heavy flywheel or driving with the a/c on)
the main advantage to super chargers(roots type) is that the power gain is instant. no issues of lag or anything. roots tyeps are very expensive however, and if they are the type that is integrated to the intake manifold, there is no way to after cool them.

cytrifugal superchargers are still expensive, but the act like turbo's as far as boosting goes. the boost is based on throttle percentage.
superchargers are limited by gear ratio as to how much boost can be run at a time. you ahve to chagne pulley's to run more or less boost.(relativly expensive)
turbochargers use heat to drive them
they turn wasted heat back to mechanical enregy used to compress air. they are a bit more complicated as far as controlling them goes. (more components) and create a great deal more heat.(a freaking inferno under my hood even with the wrap)
to adjust a turbo's output all you ahve to do is adjust a little 5 dollar pice of pliumbing from a hardware store.
turbochargers are alos more effiecient when it comes to gas mileage.

highs and low to both. its really about goals and taste.
yes this was a cut and dry explaination. any body else feel free to add or argue in what you want. this is all i have to say on the matter.
:?

peanotation
10-07-2005, 10:42 PM
i say go turbo, because i'm biased against superchargers. you can drive around all day on a turbo and not even get close to making boost (great for saving gas). there's also a lot less support for a supercharged 4g64 compared to turbocharging it. it's cheaper to go turbo, greater selection of parts, and superchargers sound annoying.

also, stay away from anything rippmods makes. very far away. they're completely full of shit and everything they say is just to try to get a sale. when you have a problem with their product or don't have something good to say, they'll leave you standing in the dust.

cremeofthecrop
10-07-2005, 11:11 PM
few more questions especially for you stunr since you seem very inept in your workings of this matter, what parts would i need for a complete turbo setup? can i buy them at once or i have to go from pillar to post to eventually form a voltron of a turbo? also.would you go turbo and use a wet shot as well? or is this unecessary?

DOHCstunr
10-07-2005, 11:15 PM
a simple search will yeild the knowledge you so desire

any of the turbo tutorials will give you the idea. one key is to make a hp goal before you start. then work towards it. otherwise your car will OWN your bank account

peanotation
10-07-2005, 11:24 PM
no point in running nitrous with a beginner turbo setup. turbo lag isn't really that big of an issue [yet] to warrant nitrous for spooling up

cremeofthecrop
10-07-2005, 11:30 PM
well as for the bank account issue, the 8g has my pincode already, what does an initial turbo setup consist of?

peanotation
10-07-2005, 11:33 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Curtis V. Shambeau)</div><div class='quotemain'>4G63T Exhaust Manifold (Ported 2g Preferred)
4G63T O2 Sensor Housing (Ported 2g Preferred)
4G63T Downpipe - 2G FWD (aftermarket or custom 2.5" - 3" preferred)
A Turbo (duh!) - 14b, Small 16G, or other. Avoid the stock 2G T25! (16G variant (small, big, EVOIII) preferred)
High-Flow air filter & MAS Adaptor
Intake Pipe from MAS to Turbo (stock 2G OK, aftermarket better)
Intercooler - Stock 2G SMIC OK, FMIC better. Â* NOTE: Stock 2G Intercooler won't fit on a 1996 model without moving the Washer bottle.
Intercooler Piping from turbo to intercooler & intercooler to throttle body (custom connector needed for stock throttle body connection).
Blow off valve (BOV) - 1G is fine
Boost Gauge
EGT Gauge Â* Â*<-- Yes, it's a MUST HAVE
Gauge Mounting (A-Pillar and/or Gauge cluster bezel trim or other)
Gasket: Head to Exhaust Manifold
Gasket: Turbo to Exhaust Manifold
Gasket: O2 Housing to Turbo
Gasket: O2 Housing to downpipe
Spark Plugs: NGK BKR7E (NGK's part number 6097) <-these are 2 heat ranges cooler
Misc Nuts, Bolts, Washers, hose clamps, etc.
Turbo oil Supply Line (Stainless braided preferred)
Turbo oil return Line from a stock 2G setup
2G turbo oil pan (or somehow mount the turbo oil return on your stock oil pan)
Turbo water lines (feed & return) + rubber coolant hose to connect to engine.
Higher flow Fuel Pump (Walbro 190lph is plenty)
Bigger Injectors (Stock 4G63T 450cc Injectors OK with turbo car resistor pack wired in)
Apex-i S-AFC
OBD-II Datalogger</div>

Prophet
10-08-2005, 01:48 AM
One thing I should point out too is your going to need to remove your ac and will need a new belt too...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Prophet)</div><div class='quotemain'>If you get rid of the A/C then you will need a new belt K05-0433. (Gates Part #) ..</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(4G64t)</div><div class='quotemain'>that means "5 grooves and size 433" .. 18mmx1110mm</div>

cremeofthecrop
10-08-2005, 06:48 AM
guesstimated price range?

SPEEDDEMON03
10-08-2005, 09:13 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Prophet)</div><div class='quotemain'>One thing I should point out too is your going to need to remove your ac and will need a new belt too...</div>

is there any way to keep the a/c and has it been done

seth98esT
10-08-2005, 09:22 AM
You can keep it with the right turbo/exhaust manifold combo.

devgrp
10-08-2005, 09:32 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'>You can keep it with the right turbo/exhaust manifold combo.</div>What would that be.

cremeofthecrop
10-08-2005, 10:31 AM
price range??

seth98esT
10-08-2005, 11:24 AM
No clue what the right combo is, I dont have an 8g. If I were you, I would have a shop make me a custom tubular exhaust manifold to fit what turbo I wanted to use so it would clear the A/C. Shouldnt be more then $350-600.

Then you can tell that shop that they can make some cash by selling that manifold to other galant enthusiasts!

qnz
10-08-2005, 12:57 PM
there are a ton of posts on this same question Cream. if you need to ask "what is better, SC or turbo," you need to learn a lot more before you can start piecing your own turbo set. just go buy a kit. tearstone sells a kit w/o an intercooler starting at $1600. this kit allows you to keep your a/c too. its made for the 3g eclipse but their prototype kit was actually put on a galant.

peanotation
10-08-2005, 01:31 PM
top of the 8G section:
https://www.thegalantcenter.org/viewt...pic.php?t=39494 ('https://www.thegalantcenter.org/viewtopic.php?t=39494')

Prophet
10-08-2005, 08:07 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(devgrp)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'>You can keep it with the right turbo/exhaust manifold combo.</div>What would that be.</div>

You won't be able to use a DSM mani/turbo combo but a T series mani and turbo might fit since the mani is custom made for the 8G. Tearstone is an example. I called them a couple months back to find out how much just for the mani and they where asking $450.00 vs a DSM mani I could get for $250.00. I opted for the DSM and just take out the a/c.

Price range.....

Anywhere from $500.00 to a couple of G's for a custom kit. All depends what kind of parts and condition of parts you purchase. All used.. all new.. Like I told you cream your going to have to determine what route you want to go and set a hp goal and budget for yourself.