PDA

View Full Version : GAuge cluster

YELLOWGALANT
10-17-2002, 08:51 PM
Anybody know if u put a used gauge cluster from a junkyard or somewhere, would it read the same mileage as the old one or it hold its own data. cause someone told me it will hold the numbers i had before unless i change the computer too, anybody has done it ?

BGR
10-17-2002, 08:59 PM
It doesn't. Whatever the odometer reading of the junkyard gauges will appear once you plug them into your car.

pinoyesv6
10-20-2002, 04:56 PM
the mileage is stored in a lil module in the guage cluster. but uhm without the proper paperwork, changein your cluster or the odometer reading is illegal...

jacuZZi
10-20-2002, 09:42 PM
I thought the reading is stored on the other parts of the cluster, cause when you drive your car without the cluster on/ the cable to the cluster is disconnected for example when you put on aftermarket gauges on, you have to disconnected the cable on the back. And then you drive it, the reading will updated to the new mileage. Thast what i noticed when i dosconnected the cable and then drove the car. The A and B trip mileage is reset it self. But i might be wrong, but i'll try it sometimes. :wink:

jacuZZi
10-20-2002, 09:46 PM
Just some add on, just come to my mind, if the old mileage will stay there when you disconnect the cable or replace it with others, then many people will disconnect the cable to get the mileage stay where they are and constantly connect and disconnect to get reasonable mileage for their cars.
8)

TJC
10-20-2002, 09:54 PM
Just some add on, just come to my mind, if the old mileage will stay there when you disconnect the cable or replace it with others, then many people will disconnect the cable to get the mileage stay where they are and constantly connect and disconnect to get reasonable mileage for their cars.
8)

Yes, that's posible and also illegal. And as Pinoy stated, changing/tampering with mileage is also illegal.

jacuZZi
10-20-2002, 11:21 PM
8)

Yes, that's posible and also illegal. And as Pinoy stated, changing/tampering with mileage is also illegal.

But thast too Easy, just disconnect the cable on the back of cluster and the mileage will stop? and connecting back it will on again? Hmmm... Seems not right, i have to try it pretty soon. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

pinoyesv6
10-20-2002, 11:24 PM
8)

But thast too Easy, just disconnect the cable on the back of cluster and the mileage will stop? and connecting back it will on again? Hmmm... Seems not right, i have to try it pretty soon. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

if you disconnect the wires on the back...the cluster would stop too. no more speedo temp guage etc. if you took apart the cluster a lil bit and got to the module and disconnect that, you could do it. but you do risk messing everything up and getting caught in the act

jacuZZi
10-20-2002, 11:27 PM
thats what i'm sayin, so if i just disconnect the cable on the back, and then drive it, and then when i get back i connect them again, it will update the mileage right? correct me if i'm wrong. ( i know that the signal, RPM's will not work form the inside, cause theres no cluster )