PDA

View Full Version : Fog light rewire using factory switch

djScript
10-17-2002, 09:53 PM
you're gonna need some basic electronics background but yeah, it's doable.

click here ('http://www.geocities.com/djscript_tgc/jaysG_fogs_1.htm')

jay

BGR
10-17-2002, 09:56 PM
Hey good job on the tutorial! Very thorough.

speedygalant
10-17-2002, 10:04 PM
wow, all that just make the fog lights turn on with my parking lights? i rather buy piaa's and install them in less than 1 1/2 hours. but the tutorial is very good. maybe i should take his lil' challenge and make myself useful https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif . Thanks for the effort you put into this tutorial. it really lloks good and flawless.

mrjaydeeone
10-17-2002, 10:21 PM
don't foget u can just use the fog light wires and tap into the parking light wires, and they will come on with the fog lights also....
good job on the tutorial

TJC
10-17-2002, 10:54 PM
So the schematics is for working with the parking lights right? If you turn off the parking lights, the fogs will go off too. Does this also mean that if I turn on my highbeams, the fogs will also stay on? BTW, great tutorial and diagrams. :thumbsup:

Tight2Def
10-18-2002, 11:13 AM
I agree The tutorial Was Exellent ... I think I'm going
to try it this weekend....

Great JoB!!!!!!

djScript
10-18-2002, 11:46 AM
and btw, my objective was to make the fog light switch still functional and to make everything look stock as much as possible.

but if you can live with a dead switch in your dash, then yeah, you can just tap the fog lights directly to your parking lights. :biggrin:

jay

Gizmo
10-18-2002, 11:51 AM
DAMN!!! Thats a good ass tutorial Jay. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Wish I had that before I went and tapped into the parking lights. Think I'll disconnect the fogs from the parking lights and try this.

Miguel

HeadAche
10-18-2002, 08:48 PM
thats just a great tutorial.. It seems as if u have put a lot of time into doing this.. If i could patg u on the back I would.. GoodJob..

TJC
10-18-2002, 09:11 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(djScript)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJC)</div><div class='quotemain'>So the schematics is for working with the parking lights right? If you turn off the parking lights, the fogs will go off too. Does this also mean that if I turn on my highbeams, the fogs will also stay on? BTW, great tutorial and diagrams. :thumbsup:</div>

you can hook up the power source (where it shows +12 Volts) to anywhere you like even directly to the battery. just make sure you use a fuse. i just chose to hook it up to my parking lights. but you still need to push the fog light switch to turn it on. it won't turn on with the parking light switch alone but it will turn off if you turn the parking lights off. and yeah, it'll stay on if you turn on your high beams.</div>

Thanks! That is exactly what we were all looking for; use of stock momentary switch but bypassing the ETACS so we can manually control the fogs. Awesome job and as Shane said, that must of took some serious research and time to do. :thumbsup:

I have a different question about relays but don't know much about them and wonder if you can give me a little lesson 101 for me and posibly others.

HondaKillerGTZ
10-21-2002, 08:38 PM
Hey this is an excellent tutorial!!!

I used the Rob Sullivan tutorial (from club 3G) HERE ('http://rob_sullivan.tripod.com/instructions.html')

I installed a little pushbutton switch inside the foglight switch, so it looks stock and works like stock, and the foglights turn on always when I turn the parking lights on (no need to push it everytime I turn the lighs on), and go off with them and the cluster light also works!! https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

playa759
10-22-2002, 10:24 AM
Very very nice I did this in August, wiring directly to the ignition so I can turn em on with or without parking or headlights

Nick VR4
10-22-2002, 10:38 AM
in the UK its illegel not to have your side lights on with fogs on

I can switch my fogs on using fog switch and that puts side lights on
Or hit the light switch and have all lights on together
4 fogs, side lights and main beam

Reelax
10-22-2002, 12:01 PM
sweet! i'll take a look at this when i get the chance... so far looks easy enough. thanks!

can it be wired so the fog lights can be selectively locked... meaning they will come on w/ the parking lights w/o having to push the button, and stay on w/ the high beams, but still have the factory functionality of the guage indicator and the ability to be shut off independently? since the toggle switch is powering the relay, does the toggle switch reset to open everytime the power is off?

great work btw!

djScript
10-22-2002, 01:39 PM
can it be wired so the fog lights can be selectively locked... it's possible but would require a different type of circuit. you would need 2 transistors for this type of flip flop.
the circuit i provided always comes up with the relay deactivated.

since the toggle switch is powering the relay, does the toggle switch reset to open everytime the power is off?!yes the relay is deactivated when the power is off.

and oh, thanks for all the compliments. it did :orangeyes: took a lot of research!

LantBoy99
10-22-2002, 03:59 PM
Good job man! You got me beat and Im an electrician(well with AC currents)! This DC current talk got me beat!

Fishboy55
10-22-2002, 08:37 PM
Rich or someone, Please add this to the Tutorial section.

Thanks,
Chip

Reelax
10-23-2002, 12:03 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(djScript)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Reelax)</div><div class='quotemain'>can it be wired so the fog lights can be selectively locked... </div>it's possible but would require a different type of circuit. you would need 2 transistors for this type of flip flop.
the circuit i provided always comes up with the relay deactivated.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Reelax)</div><div class='quotemain'>since the toggle switch is powering the relay, does the toggle switch reset to open everytime the power is off?!</div>yes the relay is deactivated when the power is off.

and oh, thanks for all the compliments. it did :orangeyes: took a lot of research!</div>

great job buddy! im gonna put on my thinking cap and try to figure out how to use you wiring and get the fogs to come on automatically w/ the parking lights but keep the ability to turn them off as well and "lock" the switch into position (probably will have to feed the toggle constant current or find a locking toggle). you did great to keep the stock switch and gauge indicator.

dwjp90
04-27-2008, 11:43 PM
links dead

komodo
04-28-2008, 02:12 PM
Well... You just revived something 6 years old. lol. I'm not surprised that the link died.
edit: wow.. 2002....

spdracr
04-28-2008, 02:18 PM
damm I had that saved on my old laptop if I manage to recover data from the HD then I'll post it

guynlidia2006
04-28-2008, 04:32 PM
please doo i wanna see

dwjp90
04-28-2008, 11:21 PM
ahh nvm i got it, i buit a toogle switch into the foglight, does anybody know of a way to get it to work with the key in the ignition instd of of the fogs?

spdracr
04-29-2008, 12:05 AM
ahh nvm i got it, i buit a toogle switch into the foglight, does anybody know of a way to get it to work with the key in the ignition instd of of the fogs?

werent u the one who did it the ghetto way ??

dwjp90
04-29-2008, 12:37 AM
go here https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=29438

jibz18
05-23-2010, 11:16 AM
Links dead :(

littlerick
05-23-2010, 11:59 AM
its a 2 year old link....and the original link is 8 years old

mrg7243
05-23-2010, 09:27 PM
lol what is the main goal for this, im going to do what they do on club 3g and just link the ground together and have the fogs come on when i turn the parking lights on. And my fraind and i were conversing over this, what is the point of parking lights, to make youself more visible, and the more light the better, and it looks cool at dusk when thier on.