PDA

View Full Version : painting...

colombiano
10-18-2005, 09:45 PM
so basically im redoing my interior and i wrapped the door panels, and painted the platic, except for the wood grain. everytime i paint it it peels quick. i sanded it and when the primer goes on it peels. ne sugestions?

pinoyesv6
10-18-2005, 09:46 PM
did you clean the plastic??

DOHCstunr
10-18-2005, 10:14 PM
your plastic should have soaked up some oils from any vinyl conditioner you have used over the years. not to mention any airbourse contaminants like pollution and cigarette smoke.

i always clean my interior with a citrus based cleaner, like orange clean before i condition it. you wouldn't believe the filth that gets lifted from the vinyl and plastic.

i would recomend you do the same. use the orange cleaner first. then alcohol to make sure nothing is left behind. surfaces should look dried out and very dull. then you are ready to primer.
after all is said and done, and you have a couple of dryed and cured coats of paint on. use some pure carnuba wax(non cleaner type) to seal and protect the paint. apply it and buff it just as you would your exterior. this will give it a nice shen, as well as protect ti from future abrasion.
:wink:

low sittin 8g
10-18-2005, 10:52 PM
theres this new product on the market called buldog.. i actually saw it on pimp my ride and they were swearing on it.. i sanded down the whole bottom of my dash with 180, then 320, then 400.. then i buldog'd it.. then primer'd.. then sprayed it with the paint. it came out like glass and i havent had any problems.. buldog is god..

ipaintu
10-18-2005, 11:11 PM
yeah bulldog is the way to go I use it everyday at work.. If you dont use it on new parts and palstics they will peel everytime.. you can buy it in a spray bomb too..

colombiano
10-22-2005, 12:54 PM
where do i buy bulldog?

Stewi
10-22-2005, 01:29 PM
i never had any probs with my paint peeling, I sanded it with 360 grit. Sprayed on some Krylon Fusion Plastic primer. Sanded it with 400 grit. Then painted it with Krylon Fusion Plastic paint. I never had any problems. I did thoroughly clean the parts first before the primer was applied. I cleaned the parts with mild soap and water. I used a toothbrush to really scrub them down good and I let them air dry out in the sun.

ipaintu
10-22-2005, 04:19 PM
Sprayed on some Krylon Fusion Plastic primer

BULLDOG in the primer... Its called and adhevise promtor..

works same way tho..

low sittin 8g
10-23-2005, 12:40 PM
i bulldog everything..when i painted my car i even bulldog'd my door jams.. just incase i forgot a anything when i sanded it.. i painted a chrome billet gril.. scuffed it with a scuff pad.. then bulldoged it.. and its fine