PDA

View Full Version : Oxidation on black paint

tbrufio6
10-20-2005, 09:01 PM
The oxidation on my trunk is spreading and I'm getting tired of it. I have come into a bit of money recently and want to know my options. Could I simple take it to Maaco and see what they can do (no flat black paint or anything) What are my options, I only want to paint the roof. Thanks.

lonestar22
10-20-2005, 09:48 PM
i went to my mitsu dealer and they told me it was a defect in the paint (yrs. '00-'01 lower end models) and they repaintde my trunk pillars roof and hood all for free. and my car wasnt under warranty.

Serstylz2
10-20-2005, 10:05 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lonestar22)</div><div class='quotemain'>i went to my mitsu dealer and they told me it was a defect in the paint (yrs. '00-'01 lower end models) and they repaintde my trunk pillars roof and hood all for free. and my car wasnt under warranty.</div>

def gotta try that

tbrufio6
10-20-2005, 11:18 PM
ha okay and if that happens (unlikely with the assholes at the mitsu dealers here) what are my other options if I want a reliable job where this stuff won't come back

BIGMONEYDAY
10-21-2005, 04:46 AM
I figured it was a defect in the paint, since most of the black G's I see these days all have that same problem, but all were newer models than mine. It always puzzled me since I have a black G, but my paint is fine. Now I see that it only effected the ones from '00-'01, and mine is a '99. Well, if the dealership doesn't repaint it for free, you could file it as a claim with your insurance. This would be covered under your comprehensive. So if yoiu don't have a low or 0 deductable, I would change it first, wait about month or two then file a claim to have those sections or the whole car painted. One guy in my car club had his G repainted by the insurance company due to this same problem.

keithert
10-21-2005, 07:25 AM
The paint on the hood of my 90 Camaro started flaking off when it was about 4 years old. In 95 I had Maaco sand down the hood and repaint the whole car. It cost about $800 back then. They did a decent job. I used the shop in Crystal Lake, Illinois.

Jet Black
10-21-2005, 10:00 AM
Its a very common problem. Ive seen it on everything from a mid 90's 2nd gen Eclipse, to a brand new Evo9 (the clear coat on the spoiler was oxidizing).

ChikagoGTZ
10-21-2005, 11:34 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lonestar22)</div><div class='quotemain'>i went to my mitsu dealer and they told me it was a defect in the paint (yrs. '00-'01 lower end models) and they repaintde my trunk pillars roof and hood all for free. and my car wasnt under warranty.</div>

I have a little starting on the rear roof, I'll look into this through the dealer...but mine is a GTZ.

It's likely from the crappy weather in Chicago.

Jet Black
10-21-2005, 11:53 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ChikagoGTZ)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lonestar22)</div><div class='quotemain'>i went to my mitsu dealer and they told me it was a defect in the paint (yrs. '00-'01 lower end models) and they repaintde my trunk pillars roof and hood all for free. and my car wasnt under warranty.</div>

I have a little starting on the rear roof, I'll look into this through the dealer...but mine is a GTZ.

It's likely from the crappy weather in Chicago.</div>

No its crappy mitsu paint. A bunch of us have it out in SoCal as well.

pinoyesv6
10-21-2005, 11:55 AM
i think its from all the pollution in the air you guys have. my 2k hasn't had any oxidation on any of its paint.

peanotation
10-21-2005, 12:18 PM
baaah, paint oxidizing on the black 8G? LIES https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

pvu_rida
10-21-2005, 12:37 PM
mine is the same way, i went up to maaco yesterday and my estimate was 800 bucks, they have to sand down my roof and some of my trunk

pvu_rida
10-21-2005, 12:49 PM

What dealership do you go to? I always go up to don herring, off of plano parkway and the told me my car had to be under warranty

Serstylz2
10-22-2005, 09:28 AM
I emailed my dealership we'll see what they say