PDA

View Full Version : tranny and dipstick ?

00gtz
10-24-2005, 03:10 PM
ok well i check my tranyy fluid it's nice and pink and smells good but the level will be high on 1 side of the stick and low on the other why is this i'm curious cause sometimes it shifts hard when going into fourth when in drive

pinoyesv6
10-24-2005, 03:48 PM
are you checking the fluid the right way? car warmed up, ebrake up and the car in neutral??

how many miles do you have on the fluid?

00gtz
10-24-2005, 04:04 PM
yes i'm checking the fluid right way and i just bought the car when i test drove it was fine but the dealer ship serviced all fluids and now this happens it's weird cause only does it around 40-50 mph shifting in to fourth and the rpm's don't go up like it's slipping just a plane hard shift

pinoyesv6
10-24-2005, 04:40 PM
ok with that said. was this a mitsu dealer? and if not, did they use mitsubishi diamond sp-iii fluid or any of its equivalents? new fluid at the right levels can still cause problems if it wasn't the correct fluid in the first place.

00gtz
10-24-2005, 04:48 PM
no it wasn't a mitsu dealer and i'm guessing they used dextron111 but the dipstick thing is confusing the hell out of me to

pinoyesv6
10-24-2005, 04:50 PM
no it wasn't a mitsu dealer and i'm guessing they used dextron111 but the dipstick thing is confusing the hell out of me to

i'd go ahead and go back to the dealer and check. using the wrong fluid can cause you problems like that. i know that for a fact, i've been in the same boat.

00gtz
10-24-2005, 04:57 PM
k thanks anyone know this dipstick theory were it reads on 1 side of the stick and not the other unless you turn the stick around 180 degrees and reinsert

pinoyesv6
10-24-2005, 05:15 PM
http://www.mynameistitobhoy.com/Galant%20S...20Manual/00.pdf ('http://www.mynameistitobhoy.com/Galant%20Service%20Manual/00.pdf')

page48

00gtz
10-24-2005, 05:49 PM
sorry that does not help me i'm taking the car back to the dealer on wensday

dzulboytoy
10-24-2005, 06:56 PM
just out of curiosity ............. can someone here tell me where it says to check the transmission fluid while warm"and idling in neutral " with the ebrake on ????? I must have missed that class.

are you checking the fluid the right way? car warmed up, ebrake up and the car in neutral??

how many miles do you have on the fluid?

00gtz
10-24-2005, 07:13 PM
in your owners manual and any shop book tells you that i never seen an automatic were you checked it in park
[/quote]just out of curiosity ............. can someone here tell me where it says to check the transmission fluid while warm"and idling in neutral " with the ebrake on ????? I must have missed that class

dzulboytoy
10-24-2005, 07:15 PM
could you please quote the owners manual , Since I rebuild transmissions for a living , I would love to know who is right you or me ?

dzulboytoy
10-24-2005, 07:18 PM
Oh and I forgot , Chrysler products like 30 years ago were the only cars to do the neutral thing , since it is very dangerous to do it that way anymore . ALL other vehicles with dipsticks are usually done in PARK . for those of you who are not knowledgeable . The OWNERS MANUAL also tells you to change your oil like every 7500 miles , I believe nobody here does that !!!

00gtz
10-24-2005, 07:25 PM
well if you rebuild them can you tell me what might be wrong then maybe i understood the manual wrong

dzulboytoy
10-24-2005, 07:28 PM
I don't know the scientific reason as to why the 2 sides read differently , but you are correct , they do !!! ALWAYS use the lower reading as the correct reading And always check the fluid at normal operating temperatures .

00gtz
10-24-2005, 07:33 PM
well say if i check it at normal temp with the dip in 1 way i will get a normal reading then if i turn it and try again i get a reading that is way to high wtf is there a certain way this is suppose to go in or something

dzulboytoy
10-24-2005, 07:37 PM
well say if i check it at normal temp with the dip in 1 way i will get a normal reading then if i turn it and try again i get a reading that is way to high wtf is there a certain way this is suppose to go in or something

#1 always check trans fluid level 3-4x in a row
#2 always use the lowest reading as your correct level

If you think this is bad try filling up a ford van , the fillertubes are like 4 feet long and you have to check the level a million times till you know its right

manybrews
10-24-2005, 08:17 PM
Oh and I forgot , Chrysler products like 30 years ago were the only cars to do the neutral thing , since it is very dangerous to do it that way anymore . ALL other vehicles with dipsticks are usually done in PARK .

technically, you CAN check the 40 and 50 series mitsu trannies in park, as the manual valve has only 3 positions (forward, nuetral, reverse). when you travel from reverse to park OR nuetral, it goes to the same position.
BUT.. thats not how mitsu tells anyone to do it, as thier older trannies (20/30 series) HAD to be checked in nuetral lest you get a completely inaccurate reading as the torque converter recieved no pressure in park.

this isnt new information, though. For someone that "rebuilds trannies", that should be very common as mitus' been that way for nearly 20 years.
most aisin warner trannies (i.e everything used by toyota) are like that, and hondas are to be checked with the engine off!
every manufacturer is quite different. Just because GM checks used to check their trannies in park really doesnt mean all others do (note that GM no longer has dipsticks on most of thier trannies).

dzulboytoy
10-24-2005, 08:22 PM
Whats a mitsu 20/30 series transmission ? Are you refering to the KM series????

manybrews
10-24-2005, 08:31 PM
Whats a mitsu 20/30 series transmission ? Are you refering to the KM series????
KM was the nomenclature in the early 80s. For example, the KM175 that was the first 4 speed fully electronic (and unreliable) tranny in the 85 to 87 galant 4 cylinder. The 6 cylinder version was much tougher.
they were redesigned and renamed into the 20 and 30 series (I.E the F4A21, in the 89 and up galants). the last 2 digits represent the series and model of that tranny.
so, F4A21 means Front drive, 4 speed, automatic, 20 series, model 1.

they still use the same basic designation today, with some minor changes.
for example, the tranny in a 2000 galant with a 4 cylinder would be a F4A41. the 6 cylinder would be F4A51. All wheel drive models start with a W.

it gets deeper than that, but im keeping it simple.

dzulboytoy
10-24-2005, 08:33 PM
The f4a21 was used in 6 cylinder applications such as the diamante and the 3000gt

manybrews
10-24-2005, 08:34 PM
The f4a21 was used in 6 cylinder applications such as the diamante and the 3000gt
no, that was a 30 series.

dzulboytoy
10-24-2005, 08:37 PM
ok manny I have never seen a f4a21 in a galant 4cylinder application , but if you say they were out there I will keep an eye out for it lol but any way , the fluid level is still checked in PARK with the engine running

manybrews
10-24-2005, 08:39 PM
ok manny I have never seen a f4a21 in a galant 4cylinder application , but if you say they were out there I will keep an eye out for it lol but any way , the fluid level is still checked in PARK with the engine running
no, its not. it CAN be on the new trannies (introduced in 99 on the galant).
if you check ANY mitsu tranny older than that in a galant in park, you WILL get the incorrect reading. It WILL read about 2 quarts higher than it actually is.

In case you didnt realize it, ive worked for mitsu for 15 years, and rebuilt a thousand trannies.

incidently, the galants came with a multitude of 20/30 trannies depending on the engine, driveline, etc..
F4A21, F4A22, F4A23, W4A22, W4A23, etc.etc.

dzulboytoy
10-24-2005, 08:40 PM
no, its not. it CAN be on the new trannies (introduced in 99 on the galant).
if you check ANY mitsu tranny older than that in a galant in park, you WILL get the incorrect reading. It WILL read about 2 quarts higher than it actually is.

In case you didnt realize it, ive worked for mitsu for 15 years, and rebuilt a thousand trannies.

Hey manny just read the dipstick !!!!

manybrews
10-24-2005, 08:42 PM
Hey manny just read the dipstick !!!!

what to you mean, read the dipstick.
theres NOTHING on the 20/30 dipsticks except for a "hot" and "cold" line. thats it. most 20 series had a TINY little dipstic about 3 inches long that was nearly impossible to reach.

00gtz
10-24-2005, 08:43 PM
well this is a 2000 a/t v6 gtz so i check it in park with the engine running correct?

00gtz
10-24-2005, 08:46 PM
and my dipstick says only hot then way up on it adjust hot or when hot

manybrews
10-24-2005, 08:47 PM
well this is a 2000 a/t v6 gtz so i check it in park with the engine running correct?
park (or nuetral).
as I said, nuetral is what mitsubishi officially says. thats also what you'll read in print everywhere. I am one of few that know you can check it in park, as Ive had hundreds apart.
I dont like recommending park, as thats what people will then do to a mitsu trans that CANT be checked like that, and burn it up.

hell, ive had to overhall no fewer than 3 "rebuilt" transaxles from local shops because they were too dense to actually read information about mitsus, and instead of checking them in nuetral, they checked them in park.

00gtz
10-24-2005, 08:56 PM
park (or nuetral).
as I said, nuetral is what mitsubishi officially says. thats also what you'll read in print everywhere. I am one of few that know you can check it in park, as Ive had hundreds apart.
I dont like recommending park, as thats what people will then do to a mitsu trans that CANT be checked like that, and burn it up.

hell, ive had to overhall no fewer than 3 "rebuilt" transaxles from local shops because they were too dense to actually read information about mitsus, and instead of checking them in nuetral, they checked them in park.
would you know why i'm getting different readings on the dip

manybrews
10-24-2005, 09:12 PM
park (or nuetral).

would you know why i'm getting different readings on the dip

youre probably just "smearing" the dipstick on the side of the tube as you insert it.

remove the stick, clean it, and re-insert it on a running, warm car. pull it out and inspect. the LOWEST wet indicator is where the fluid is at. If half the dipstick is wet, you just dragged it along the side of the tube upon re-insertion, or something like that.

00gtz
11-26-2005, 08:54 AM
well finally got my car back from the tranny shop after it was there for over two the clutch packs for 3 .4 were blown so they rebuilt it and wow all i can say is what a difference and i'm glad i did not have to pay the $2200 bill