PDA

View Full Version : turbo manifold

j686m
10-26-2005, 05:26 PM
i think this may be the answer to our turbo with a/c problems
take a look at the custom stage 2 manifold kit
http://www.jgstools.com/turbo/index2.html ('http://www.jgstools.com/turbo/index2.html')

Jet Black
10-26-2005, 07:42 PM
Iirc, Tearstone ('http://www.tearstone.com') also makes manifolds that will not affect the AC.

underated
10-27-2005, 01:02 AM
a log manifold would work especially a custom one it doesnt have the greatest flow pattern but it would get the job done

j686m
10-29-2005, 10:54 PM
last time i asked, tearstone wouldnt sell their manifolds seperate, and you cant used a dsm turbo with it so this looked like a good idea to try out

seth98esT
10-30-2005, 09:55 AM
Tisk tisk, ask ANY reputable DSM shop or even an import tuner shop to make you a tubular manifold with equal length runners. I dont particularly car for log manifolds.

j686m
10-30-2005, 12:54 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'>Tisk tisk, ask ANY reputable DSM shop or even an import tuner shop to make you a tubular manifold with equal length runners. Â*I dont particularly car for log manifolds.</div>

for a hefty price usually, most of us are broke asses, so its boost on a budget https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Prophet
10-30-2005, 12:59 PM
So get rid of the A/C and buy a DSM mani... 8)

seth98esT
10-30-2005, 01:22 PM
$300-500 for a descent custom equal length tubular manifold. If your broke, you shouldnt be trying to turbo your car :wink:

j686m
10-30-2005, 10:59 PM
va is pretty hot and very humid in the summer, plus this the first car ive owned that the a/c actually works really good so there is no way im getting rid of it. not broke but money is a little tight right now so im trying to build it one peice at a time. where can i get a custom one done around our way seth? one guy out in chesapeake was like $600(greaser off of dragva). by the way i saw your address on your stickers page, man you live right around the corner from me, ill have to stop by and peep out that 7g one day.

Boostedgalant56
11-01-2005, 10:54 PM
i had a dsm manifold and had my ac still. i just upgraded to the pace setter header. what do yall think about those?

peanotation
11-01-2005, 11:08 PM
i had a dsm manifold and had my ac still. i just upgraded to the pace setter header. what do yall think about those?

love my pacesetter. i read about problems with the welds cracking but mine's been perfect since i got it. wrapped it in exhaust wrap too

seth98esT
11-01-2005, 11:26 PM
Whatever you do with the pacesetter, GET IT COATED with some anti corrosive treatment. Ask John about his healthy hole on one of his runners!

Prophet
11-02-2005, 12:31 AM

lol and I sold mine to Peano....

This on a 8G I would like to see some pictures because if it still sits where a stock mitsu turbo would it should not fit. Also what turbo you running?

Boostedgalant56
11-03-2005, 12:54 PM
im runing 7.5 psi and when i put the pace setter headers on i had to get the downpipe modifyed. the problem was that the pacesetter moves the turbo up in the back. its not flat like the stock dsm manifold. then i was stupid enoght to put on the paper gasket that it came with. in 2 week only 1/3 of it was left. i think the only way they will last is if u use the header wrap.

peanotation
11-03-2005, 01:43 PM
im runing 7.5 psi and when i put the pace setter headers on i had to get the downpipe modifyed. the problem was that the pacesetter moves the turbo up in the back. its not flat like the stock dsm manifold. then i was stupid enoght to put on the paper gasket that it came with. in 2 week only 1/3 of it was left. i think the only way they will last is if u use the header wrap.

yeah, exhaust wrap it, and use the double-ply metal gaskets

DOHCstunr
11-03-2005, 01:48 PM
i think the only way they will last is if u use the header wrap.

like this?

http://www.iamsethmo.com/Pics/DOHCstunr/img_0127.jpg

header wrap is a must, but if you run a pacesetter manni, don't count on it lasting long at 18 psi, or multiple consecutive 3rd gear pulls in the passing lane

Boostedgalant56
11-03-2005, 02:26 PM
how long have u had ur headers?

i think the only way they will last is if u use the header wrap.

like this?

http://www.iamsethmo.com/Pics/DOHCstunr/img_0127.jpg

header wrap is a must, but if you run a pacesetter manni, don't count on it lasting long at 18 psi, or multiple consecutive 3rd gear pulls in the passing lane

DOHCstunr
11-03-2005, 03:04 PM
how long have u had ur headers?

i had it for about 3 months. it was actually pretty awesome flowed great. until the #3 runer split open.

now i run new Slow boy racing fully ported cast manifold

Prophet
11-03-2005, 09:26 PM

Any pictures? When I had that pacesetter I didn't notice a difference in location from a stock 2G mani....

DOHCstunr
11-03-2005, 09:43 PM

Any pictures? When I had that pacesetter I didn't notice a difference in location from a stock 2G mani....
actually it is
the thinner flanges of the pacesetter actually muve the turbo up a little. when i switched to a basic 1st gen manifold while waiting for the arrival of my sbr manni. i had to rebend some of the feed and water lines because the turbo had moved from the previous location.

Prophet
11-03-2005, 11:35 PM
hmmm still would like to see a picture of this. Problem in a 8G wasn't moving it up or down but that the fact the turbo was hitting these pipes and why you have to either get a custom mani or one made specific for the Galant if you don't want to remove your A/C

http://www.galantforums.com/modules.php?na...yimage&pos=-125 ('http://www.galantforums.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&pos=-125')

DOHCstunr
11-04-2005, 06:52 AM
hmmm still would like to see a picture of this. Problem in a 8G wasn't moving it up or down but that the fact the turbo was hitting these pipes and why you have to either get a custom mani or one made specific for the Galant if you don't want to remove your A/C

http://www.galantforums.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&pos=-125

my sister had a a/c hose rupture on her not too long ago. i called the dealer and they wanted about 200 bucks for new line. i ended up calling around my town and found a place called "seacliff" they actually made her a whole new hose for only 40 bucks. just reused her old factory fittings.
you could choose between 400-500 for a nice thick long lasting and dependable tubular stainless steel manifold.
or like 80 bucks for a good used ported 2g manni and another 40-70 bucks for a custom made a/c line(one that avoids interference). then another 14 to recharge to a/c afterwards.

j686m
11-14-2005, 08:05 PM
damn you 7g guys and your easy turbo installs lol, i knew i should have just bought another one instead of an 8g.

j686m
11-14-2005, 08:12 PM
so its actually the a/c high side(smaller) line thats in the way of the turbo?
if thats all it is then i could chop the hard line and hose off and have AN fittings welded to compressor fittings and connect it with braided steel hose. i mean that stuff is good for 1000 psi and the most that high side line will ever see is aroun 200-300

DOHCstunr
11-14-2005, 08:29 PM
if thats all it is then i could chop the hard line and hose off and have AN fittings welded to compressor fittings and connect it with braided steel hose. i mean that stuff is good for 1000 psi and the most that high side line will ever see is aroun 200-300
nah the solution is much easier than that. besides flare fittings aren't designed for that application.

just go to a place that makes a/c lines

there is a place in louisville i took a busted hose from my sisters car to .
they created a whole new line and welded my fittings to it.
only cost me about 40 bucks

if you already have the fittings they could make yopu a new one easy. or create new fittings that redirect the line. its not that complicated. just be sure to get your refrigerant evacuated the proper way.

Prophet
11-15-2005, 12:17 AM
nah the solution is much easier than that. besides flare fittings aren't designed for that application.

just go to a place that makes a/c lines

there is a place in louisville i took a busted hose from my sisters car to .
they created a whole new line and welded my fittings to it.
only cost me about 40 bucks

if you already have the fittings they could make yopu a new one easy. or create new fittings that redirect the line. its not that complicated. just be sure to get your refrigerant evacuated the proper way.

Bro you got any contact info for that place?

DOHCstunr
11-15-2005, 06:48 AM
the spot in lousivilee is called Sea-Cliff
i dont have the number ready, but i'll get it if nessesaery
just call a hydraulic shop in your area. ask them if they do hvac lines. if they don't then who would they reccomend in your area.

j686m
11-15-2005, 07:47 PM
so a dsm turbo and manifold will clear the compressor on an 8g?

efabara
11-16-2005, 09:56 PM
how about an evo 8 mani?? I see the turbo sits slightly off center towards the right but the turbo seems much bigger than those off a 1g or 2g DSM. I know some thought it might interfere with the starter but it doesn't seem like it would get in the way. Has anyone tried this out or know about the fitment?

j686m
11-19-2005, 05:27 PM
it hits the starter, ask stewi about that one. but RRE sells a spacer you can use with longer studs to get around that problem