PDA

View Full Version : Removal of cracked lug nu(lock)

Gizmo
10-19-2002, 03:20 PM
OK guys and gals I am in a fucked up situation. Was going to get my car lowered today and when I went to take off the wheels this is what I found:

http://www.liquid2k.com/gizmo4me/fulug.jpg

Everyplace I have gone to says that I am basically fucked. They say that to get it off, my rim is going to get totally messed up. I wonder if this has happened to anyone and if so what did you do? If you have any suggestions plaese let me know. This just ruined my day I was so excited about getting it lowered and this shit happens!!

Miguel

DJ Galant
10-19-2002, 03:27 PM
something similar happened to me man, but not excatelly. Well, my situation was little different. I tried to unscrew one of my lug and I couldn't do it manually so I used air compressor and still nothing. It took a good minute till air compressor got ther lug out of there. Didn't damage the wheel, but it took half of my wheel stud with it. I gotta get the stud replaced now.You can do it for $5 @big'o tires. Hope it helps, take care..

Galant_01
10-19-2002, 06:43 PM
OK you have 2 choices both of which involve replacing the stud! So you can try to do what the other guys said by twisting it off with an airgun but you will probably ruin the key to the lock nut, or you can take it to a mechanic and tell them to cut the back of the bolt off the wheel base! Then just replace the bolt and nut! Either way a pain in the ass! Sorry dude!

YELLOWGALANT
10-19-2002, 09:38 PM
Yeah something like that happened to me. I took it to a tire place where they unbolted it with airgun, but i lost my stsud had to replace it later. that is ur only choice. In my situation i have lost my key for lugnet and had to do it for two tires https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif

DJ Galant
10-20-2002, 01:10 AM
make sure when your new stud to torque the wheels properly so it doesn't happen in the future.

TJC
10-20-2002, 01:44 AM
Or get stronger wheel lock nuts so even when idiot shops over torque them down, you can still have a chance at removing them without breaking them. I'd make the shop pay that over torqued them down, unless it was you, hehe. I'd seriously invest in a big manual torque wrench too; they're only like $30 bucks or so at Sears.

FYI: torque lug nuts 70-75 lbs.

jman380
10-20-2002, 09:16 PM
the same thing happen to me when i first bought my car and i left it like that for a year now
im misssing one lug and the stud i went to a shop and they told me they will replace it but i didnt have to worry but they did say that it would be wise if i cahnged all of them cause the factory studs are weak and break easy and thats for all mitsus they also said the same thing about the factory weld on the exhaust

TJC
10-20-2002, 09:38 PM
the same thing happen to me when i first bought my car and i left it like that for a year now
im misssing one lug and the stud i went to a shop and they told me they will replace it but i didnt have to worry but they did say that it would be wise if i cahnged all of them cause the factory studs are weak and break easy and thats for all mitsus they also said the same thing about the factory weld on the exhaust

Yeah, but this isn't the stud, it's the nut which is worse b/c you can't take off the wheel. All you have to do is pound out the stud and get one replacement. You don't need the whole set. I haven't heard of problems with the studs unless the nuts are over torqued.

Gizmo
10-21-2002, 12:10 PM
Well I went today to get the wheel lock off. They charged me $225 for the removal and stud. Thay had to go from behind and take the whole wheel assembly off then pound the stud put from behind the assembly. They did a good job no scratches on the rim (thank god). Well going to get my coilovers put on (finally) this afternoon can't wait.

Thanks for all off your input and ideas. Peace!! :peace: :peace: :peace:

Miguel

DJ Galant
10-30-2002, 02:34 PM
thanks not done yet https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif... i wanna be a competitor w/ that black galant in NY... w/ the eyebrows and stuff...