PDA

View Full Version : Will it void warrenty?

silvergalant03
11-21-2005, 11:06 AM
My wife to be has a 2003 Galant and I want to put an intake on it, but she doesn't want it to void that warrenty. Will this void warrenty? I am leaning towards the 2000 Eclipse AEM CAI.

pinoyesv6
11-21-2005, 11:11 AM
if the intake breaks something it will.

TexasMade
11-21-2005, 11:27 AM
keep your stock on. if i ever have a problem and have to take it to the dealership i swap it back in and take out the CAI

SinSere
11-21-2005, 12:31 PM
If you don't plan on modding the car, I would leave it as is. Put a drop-in K&N filter in the stock box and call it good. My dad, the careful guy he is asked GM if he could do the K&N and they said that would void the warranty. I would just leave it.

peanotation
11-21-2005, 12:44 PM
you could put the cai on, and when you have a problem just put the stock airbox back on when you go to the dealer. if it's under warranty whatever it breaks will be replaced [for free] right?

pinoyesv6
11-21-2005, 12:48 PM
you could put the cai on, and when you have a problem just put the stock airbox back on when you go to the dealer. if it's under warranty whatever it breaks will be replaced [for free] right?

you could do that. but then lets say you hydrolocked with the cai and you put back the stock intake. then the dealer might not fix it cuz its pretty hard to hydrolock with the stock intake unless you were doing something super stupid like driving through a river. and with that said the warrnty doesn't cover stupid shit you do to your car.

opinaca
11-21-2005, 01:03 PM

Yeah...But don't forget it if you gotta go see them for a problem or routine inspection....'cause you're gonna be in trouble :roll:

Personnaly my 2003 is done...custom short RAM intake :wink:

Sounds incredable... https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

opinaca
11-21-2005, 01:08 PM
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/853000-853999/853331_7.jpg

silvergalant03
11-21-2005, 03:25 PM
If I get the CAI, I will probably mostly use it as a short ram. When its not going to rain for awhile I may switch it back to cold air. I want the cold air just so I can do either way.

shiznit013
11-21-2005, 08:25 PM
I was having a conversation about this with a couple of guys the other day. They believed that you could modify the car, and still keep it under warranty, provided that it can't be proved that your modification was responsible for the damage.

For example, if you put a CAI on there, and your rear passenger window stops rolling up, then they can't use it against you. But... if your MAF stops functioning, then it is reasonable to assume that your modification had something to do with the malfunction.

This is just speculation from a couple of software engineers, so put whatever stock you want in it.

seth98esT
11-21-2005, 09:23 PM
They can void your warranty for any aftermarket driftain modifications. They voided some Evo guys warranties just because they raced their cars on a 1/4 mile track! Best thing to do is to keep the stock stuff, when you go in for warranty work just revert to stock.

DOHCstunr
11-21-2005, 09:37 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SinSere)</div><div class='quotemain'>If you don't plan on modding the car, I would leave it as is. Put a drop-in K&N filter in the stock box and call it good. My dad, the careful guy he is asked GM if he could do the K&N and they said that would void the warranty. I would just leave it.</div>

GM was jiving you.

whats the difference between a k&n and a autozone filter. fram, purolater. some are cotton, some are paper. some are yellow, white orange.
a drop in won't void your warranty

shiznit013
11-22-2005, 09:43 AM
They voided an Evo guys warranty, because he didn't get the oil changed at a Mitsu dealership. When he first bought the car, they told him that he had to sign this service agreement, or else they couldn't sell him an Evo. His turbo blew up about a month ago, and now they refuse to warranty it. Sounds shady to me... but he's out $2,100.

DOHCstunr
11-22-2005, 10:13 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(shiznit013)</div><div class='quotemain'>They voided an Evo guys warranty, because he didn't get the oil changed at a Mitsu dealership. Â*When he first bought the car, they told him that he had to sign this service agreement, or else they couldn't sell him an Evo. Â*His turbo blew up about a month ago, and now they refuse to warranty it. Â*Sounds shady to me... but he's out $2,100.</div>
thats stupid.
i mean...
sorry.

its just stupid.
if someone made me sign an aggreement to pay them even more money so they could maintence my evo for every little thing...

I'd say okay fine. i won't buy your evo... i'll go right over there and buy an STI. then down the road... plant a live human turd in your showroom evo.

soundss crooked to me. i'd just take it to another dealership and say FUCK YOU to the jerks that sold it to him.

shiznit013
11-24-2005, 08:50 AM
I agree... it's horribly stupid... and I'm really not sure about the legality of it. For $1,500 he could get a lot better turbo than stock too... all around shitty deal.

I don't think he'd want an STI though. He had an Impreza before they released the WRX and turboed it. He got T-boned in that thing from a car going about 70. It's kind of like alcohol... if you get violently ill off of whiskey, you want nothing to do with whiskey.

little blue
12-14-2005, 12:46 PM
I don't know if anyone from this site has read this but it might help you out when you go to the dealership for work.

http://www.forperformance.com/warranty.html ('http://www.forperformance.com/warranty.html')

Calipso
12-14-2005, 10:34 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(shiznit013)</div><div class='quotemain'>They voided an Evo guys warranty, because he didn't get the oil changed at a Mitsu dealership. Â*When he first bought the car, they told him that he had to sign this service agreement, or else they couldn't sell him an Evo. Â*His turbo blew up about a month ago, and now they refuse to warranty it. Â*Sounds shady to me... but he's out $2,100.</div>

that's pretty rediculous.

shiznit013
12-14-2005, 10:39 PM
Indeed. It seems to have pushed him over the edge. He's look at selling it and getting a Volvo S40.

Tearstone
12-15-2005, 12:57 AM
Who the hell do you guys use for car dealerships? It's illegal for the dealerships to void your warranty for using a CAI for your car. Unless your filter falls off and f*s up your engine there is no way your going to mess up your car with a CAI. I used to take my car in with CAI, Headers, Full cat back and got warranty work done on it with no questions asked. You all really need to have your speech ready about the "Magnuson Moss Act" ready and say that you have the Federal Trade Commision's phone number handy in your cell if they want to give you any shit.

The Magnuson-Moss act basically states that any part that breaks on your car, the burden of proof is on the dealership to prove that it was your aftermarket part that caused the damage to void your warranty on that claim. If you put on a CAI, and your A/C goes out, there is no court in this country that would back a dealer to say it was your fault that the A/C went out.

C'mon people don't let these stealerships f* you guys around like this.

little blue
12-15-2005, 07:36 AM
The link that I posted above has all the Magnuson Moss Act info on it.