PDA

View Full Version : Dimmer on 8G dashboard

Gilhuly
10-20-2002, 09:39 AM
I have a 99ESV6 and the dimmer has never worked at all. The dash lighting has always been full bright. I've tried to screw with the switch when replacing dash bulbs, but no luck. Yesterday I replaced headlight bulbs with hyperwhites, one of which exploded immediately. I replaced with the factory bulbs and lo an behold my dimmer is working. But, therange of the dial is from barely visible to pretty damn dim.

Anybody want to venture a guess as to why this happened? I think I simply need to reset the knob on the post to a different position to get it working properly.

speedygalant
10-20-2002, 01:37 PM
my guess would be a bad relay. anyone else?

Fishboy55
10-20-2002, 01:49 PM
Either that or a short in the switch. Did you touch the galss on the hyperwhite, cause tha might have made it explode. I'd check the dimmer to make sure its not shorted, and that the plug on the back of it is in the right way.

Chip

speedygalant
10-20-2002, 01:53 PM
could this be true? a mod with a repeat post? :lauging: i just thought it was funny. but that might also be it. make sure you never touch that bulb . i know it can be hard because when they say DON'T, you really want to DO!

Fishboy55
10-20-2002, 01:57 PM
Yea Yea, it even happens to us when the webhost gets a lot of traffic. I was going to delete one and then ask you WTF you were talking about, but I'll let you slide this time.. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

Chip

manybrews
10-20-2002, 06:24 PM
the dimmer switch isnt really attached to the headlights directly, meaning that the two issues really shouldnt be related.
ive replaced a couple of dimmer rehostats on these in the last few years due to mostly inoperative dashlights (but the headlights still work fine)..
the rehostat is solid-state on these cars, and ive had a few of them melt.

Mante
11-27-2002, 07:27 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'>the dimmer switch isnt really attached to the headlights directly, meaning that the two issues really shouldnt be related.
ive replaced a couple of dimmer rehostats on these in the last few years due to mostly inoperative dashlights (but the headlights still work fine)..
the rehostat is solid-state on these cars, and ive had a few of them melt.</div>

In my 99 my dimmer switch has never worked, personally I never ever ever cared since its on full lol I tried replacing the dimmer switch itself and still nothing.

Manybrews: Just what is the dimmer rehostats?

manybrews
11-27-2002, 08:35 AM
the dimmer rehostat is the little knob on the dash that dims and brightens all dash lights.
every car has had one for 30 plus years.

Mante
11-27-2002, 09:30 AM
So that isthe only reason that the dimming would not work? I guess I have bad luck cause the dimmer I got out of a junkyard didnt work either lol

manybrews
11-27-2002, 11:43 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mante)</div><div class='quotemain'>So that isthe only reason that the dimming would not work? Â*I guess I have bad luck cause the dimmer I got out of a junkyard didnt work either Â*lol</div>
no..
if someone has modified the dash, there are several ways the lights coudl be stuck on full.
chances are you have a full ground to the dashlights elsewhere in the system.

Mante
11-27-2002, 01:31 PM
oh ok, I guess that will go back in the box of "wtf" lol thanks.

Gilhuly
12-06-2002, 03:14 PM
Why the dimmer capability returned (actually didn't return - it appeared for the first time) to the dashboard we may never know other than to note that the bulbs were removed and replaced. I ended up taking the dimmer off again and Dremeling down the limiter contour on the actual knob and now everything works like it's supposed to. Other than replacing a dash bulb I've never done anything else to the dash. BTW, I did get a replacement bulb from the Ebay seller and they are working out fine for $30 for 2 100/90 H-4's