PDA

View Full Version : Clearing lenses problem, someone help me

stephen7983
10-20-2002, 10:07 AM
Okay.. I followed this tutorial on how to clear lenses, I took the girll off first, then I unscrewed the headlight, then took of the harness out, but here's the problem. I tried sliding out the orange lens with the flathead screwdriver, and it was just impossible. All I kept doing was scratching the lens. I actually got to slide the flathead screwdriver under the orange lens, but I still couldn't slide it out. Im just afraid right now inside of my headlight is all scratched up because I pretty much tried everything and nothing worked. I sort of got too rough on it and did not succeed, so someone help me. What did I do wrong and what's the easiest way to take it out without significantly scratching the inside of the headlight.

BGR
10-20-2002, 11:02 AM
You should have tried to pop it out instead of sliding it out. You need a tool that is hooked at the end. Just picture what the end of a hammer looks like, the part that you remove a nail with, only smaller. I used the metal piece that covers the accessory slots on the back of my computer and bent the part where screw goes. I then hooked this onto the reflector and pulled it out of it's place. Came out real easy.

After that, I used the needle nose pliers to break the reflectors apart.

Mathas
10-20-2002, 11:42 AM
I did it the way BGR is recommending... I popped the lens out, rather than sliding it. I used the pick in this set ('http://www.matcotools.com/Catalog/toolcatalog.jsp?cattype=T&cat=2461&page=1&#35290') that has a 90 degree bend at the end. Slipped it between the orange reflector and the case, and pulled back until it snapped. Then I used a small pair of cutting pliers to break the big pieces into ones small enough to fit out the hole.

T.S.
10-20-2002, 03:40 PM
A longer screwdriver always helps if your still trying to slide it out, it will probably slip and scrape up the orange reflector quite a few times before you finally get it, it took me forever to get my first one that way, but after I knew how much pressure it took, the second one was alot easier, especially since I wasnt as scared of breaking something. :/

I'm sure using something to get under it like they pointed out always does work best though :

pinoyesv6
10-20-2002, 04:12 PM
you can slide it out but you are pushing on the wrong place. the reflector is held in by tabs on the top and bottom. you use the screwdriver to push there to slide the reflector. one of two things will happen. both good. either A. the reflector will slide out or B. the lil reflector tabs will break (not a problem) and the reflector will jsut fall out

stephen7983
10-20-2002, 04:22 PM
Thanks alot guys, I thought of the way BGR did it when I was doing it, unfortunately I couldn't think of any tool or object that I can use to pop it out. But i'll definately try it that way.

TJC
10-20-2002, 04:44 PM
Thanks alot guys, I thought of the way BGR did it when I was doing it, unfortunately I couldn't think of any tool or object that I can use to pop it out. But i'll definately try it that way.

dental picks or a tool that Mathas posted a link to or a cheap flathead screwdriver that you don't mind destroying and just bend the tip to a 90 degree angle to give you the same results should do it. Whether it slides out or you end up busting it that way, it works either way. Good luck.

VegasMatt
10-20-2002, 05:52 PM
Since I am the local guy here in LV that does everyones lights, I made a screw driver that has a bent tip, I sanded it down so its real slim at the end and it can slide in behind the lense.

Then I pop out the lense and cut it up using cutting plyers.

If you need anything else, advise wise, let us know and we can help ya out.

Matt