PDA

View Full Version : Battery Corrosion

paulbunyan
12-05-2005, 08:13 AM
All,
My Galant runs great. I dont have any aftermarket items installed other than an alarm which I unplugged. I was giving somebody a jump the other day and I noticed all this corrosion on my battery. I think I cleaned it off a couple of weeks ago but now its back already. Any ideas what can cause this?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/shizzle1984/12032005.jpg

pinoyesv6
12-05-2005, 09:16 AM
if you didn't clean it good enough then it will come back.

if you have a poor electrical connection at the terminal it will come back

htere are a few more reasons it might come back but im just looking at the battery and i still think its the first one.

paulbunyan
12-05-2005, 10:02 AM
Pinoy thanks man! I was thinking the same thing but I was also looking for other opinions

98ACR
12-05-2005, 08:22 PM
First off, make a baking soda paste (1/4 cup of baking soda and about 1/8 cup of water) and put it on your terminals. Scrub well with a copper brush until the battery terminals and ends are shiny clean. Buy some corrosion inhibiting washers (red and green felt disks, they're available at your local autoparts store for like $0.99) slip them under your battery terminal ends and reinstall the terminal ends. Now, spray your battery terminal ends with ZAP Battery Protector (or any other brand, I have a can of the ZAP stuff which I've had FOREVER, so I've never needed to try anything else)

You shouldn't have any more problems with corrosion now. If you do, replace your terminal ends, and make sure all of your connections are tight and your ground points are clean and making good contact.