PDA

View Full Version : 10G Global Galant might come from Normal.

GPTourer
12-07-2005, 05:00 PM
Mitsubishi may boost production of Galant in U.S. for global exports

By James B. Treece
Automotive News / December 07, 2005

TOKYO -- Mitsubishi Motors Corp. could export the next-generation Galant sedan from its Normal, Ill., plant to Europe and Japan.

Production of the next Galant will cease in Japan, making the Illinois factory the global source for the car, according to an article in the daily Nikkan Kogyo newspaper.

The paper said a right-hand drive version for export markets will be added to the factory.

A Mitsubishi spokesman neither confirmed nor denied the report. If true, though, it would be in line with a previously announced change in Mitsubishi's product strategy.

It also would help improve the operation rate at the Normal plant. That factory has been operating on a single shift for more than a year. To boost production, Mitsubishi plans to begin exporting the current Galant from Normal to Russia, the Ukraine and the Middle East from the middle of 2006.

"We haven't decided on the specific plans. We are now conducting an evaluation of our product strategy," said Mitsubishi spokesman Shingo Kimura.

Mitsubishi is in the first year of a three-year restructuring plan that calls for a switch in product planning.

Mitsubishi now makes several models that are specific to the market where they are made and sold. The new plan calls for the company to concentrate on global models that can be sold in multiple markets.

Mitsubishi CEO Osamu Masuko explained the change in a recent interview with Automotive News.

"Up until now, Mitsubishi was making vehicles that were sort of regionally dedicated. They were vehicles that were only meeting the needs of that region. Vehicles produced in the United States were only sold in the United States, and those produced in Australia were only sold in Australia. In terms of profitability and product development, this led to great problems," he said.

Instead, he said, Mitsubishi wants to develop "global strategic cars" that "we could be selling to other parts of the world, but producing in the market with the biggest demand for that vehicle

This is intriguing because I figured the Japanese would be too proud to drive an American built Galant. But these times they are a changin'. Maybe this will make it easier for AWD conversions! :shock:

VegasMatt
12-07-2005, 05:22 PM
Id like to get my hands on one of those RHD Galants.

SleekGTZ
12-07-2005, 05:37 PM
If this is true, I "still" have this funny feeling that the US version will still look crapy (one way or another) compared to the ones that they will export to other countries. yeah, its just me i guess... :roll:

ericbla03
12-07-2005, 06:39 PM
SWEEEET! This means Golds gym will be open 24 hours again. I live in Normal and a couple years ago when they cut 2nd and 3rd shifts at the plant they started closing the gym at 11 cause the Mistu people were the majority of late night crowd.........oh yea, and all my peeps will get their jobs back too https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

Evofreak7
12-07-2005, 07:13 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ericbla03)</div><div class='quotemain'>SWEEEET! Â*This means Golds gym will be open 24 hours again. Â*I live in Normal and a couple years ago when they cut 2nd and 3rd shifts at the plant Â*they started closing the gym at 11 cause the Mistu people were the majority of late night crowd.........oh yea, and all my peeps will get their jobs back too Â*:D</div>

yeah I know what you mean. I hope a few of my friends get there jobs back this time around.

This could be a good thing for us. This mit mean that the global market will be taken into consideration for the creation of the next Galant. So that nice looking rally art Galant could possable go into production without any US cut backs. (as long as Japan's market wants it, we will produce it).

G-spot
12-08-2005, 10:53 AM
Production of the next Galant will cease in Japan

I can explain this:
My dad works for the logistic department for Mitsubishi Japan for many years now and he's currently living there until spring 06. He said that MMC currently uses left over stock from the previous Galant (96-00) to create the Viento & VR-G models. Although it's limited to the 2 liter (or 1.8) GDI engine w/ith 2wd / awd standards, it's selling more units compared to the Mitsubishi 380 (9G). To answer some of y'alls hunch, yes up until till 2006, MMC still makes JDM 8Gs. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

Up until now, Mitsubishi was making vehicles that were sort of regionally dedicated. In terms of profitability and product development, this led to great problems," he said.

And how long did it take to figure that out? :evil:

Kalamidad
12-08-2005, 02:24 PM
Mitsubishi is taking some risks...that's nice to see.

But there are so many issues i see with this.

The United states is not one of the least expensive markets to produce in...
Does this mean all cars are going to look the same in every country?
Why would MMC move production of the JDM Galant out of Japan? WHere it is a respected brand?

like someone already mentioned, will the japanese wanna drive an american built galant?

Looks to me like they are trying to become a little more american, losing their identity.

GPTourer
12-09-2005, 09:19 AM
Its more expensive to produce the same cars in different factories for each market. As in America producing American Galants. Austrailia producing Austrialian 380s (same chassis), and Japan producing JDM 8G's. They could free up the space in that other factory for something else entirely, they do have more product in the pipeline.

Considering the Galant, the 380 and the Grunder don't look the same now, I doubt they'll look too similar. However, it is obvious they are based on the same car. It depends on how much they budget. A lot can be done to change a cars look through sheetmetal. Or truck, compare a Raider to a Dakota.

Normal is under utilitized, so giving them more to do is top priority even if UAW workers are more expensive. The plant is mostly robots anyway.

newguyonblock
12-09-2005, 08:53 PM
If this is true, I "still" have this funny feeling that the US version will still look crapy (one way or another) compared to the ones that they will export to other countries. yeah, its just me i guess... :roll:

I agree.

evomk8
12-16-2005, 11:18 AM
As of yet, Mitsu has not confirmed (nor denied, for that matter) that there is any substance to this report.
The report indicated that a stretched version of the GS platform (up-coming Lancer/Outlander platform) could underpin the next Galant. That makes a lot of sense from a cost perspective.
Although manufacturing is more costly in the U.S., Mitsu is currently operating the Normal plant a a loss, since capacity is underutilized. In addition, Mitsu is ceasing JDM 8G Galant production at the end of this month and is closing a plant in Japan (Mizushima I think) in 2006.
Thus, it may make sense from a global cost perspective to manufacture the next Galant in one location. Consider, using the GS platform manufacturing process in the Normal plant may eventually also permit them to build the new Lancer and Outlander, which equals more cost savings.
Finally, looking at how different the new OUtalnder and the Concept X look, indicates just how flexible the GS platform is. Therefore, with Mitsu aiming to please global tastes, I foresee the design to retain the language seen in the Concept X for the next Galant (or at least I hope)...
OK, I'll shut up now...

GPTourer
12-21-2005, 11:09 PM
Mizushima makes the Lancer and Outlander now, so I doubt it is the one that is closing. I can't remember the plant's name, maybe it is one of the Nagoya plants but I thought it started with an 'A', but it is something we (the U.S) don't get any vehicle from at all right now anyway and I think they've already moved (all) vehicle production out of it and it is more or less an engine plant.

GPTourer
12-22-2005, 11:14 AM
Here is a blurb I found on Mitsu's global site. Could this be the plant in question?

Comment regarding today's Nihon Keizai Shimbun's report saying "Mitsubishi Motors To Keep Okazaki Factory Running"

Tokyo, October 27, 2005 — At this moment, Mitsubishi Motors has not changed its basic policy to close down its vehicle production line at the Okazaki plant and to transfer Okazaki vehicle production to other facilities, which was set out in the Mitsubishi Motors Revitalization Plan. Therefore, the report citing, "Mitsubishi Motors Corp. has reversed its earlier decision to close its Okazaki factory," is not true.
Earlier this year, Mitsubishi Motors decided to temporarily postpone the stoppage and transfer of vehicle production at the Okazaki plant. However, this decision was aimed at ensuring that the new model introductions scheduled for the current fiscal year are carried out in an environment of optimum quality control. The company will re-examine the situation when it is reasonably certain that the Revitalization Plan will be achieved.

Currently, the company is reviewing a part of its long-term product plan. In conjunction with this review, the company is considering reviewing its mid and long-term global production management plan for its optimization. However, nothing has been decided at present.

GalantT3
12-23-2005, 10:49 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>If this is true, I "still" have this funny feeling that the US version will still look crapy (one way or another) compared to the ones that they will export to other countries. yeah, its just me i guess... </div>

I also agree with that!!! https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif