PDA

View Full Version : mcculloch problem?

cbell803
12-09-2005, 05:44 PM
got 8000k mcculloch hid kit yesterday and got it installed. lights are super bright. my problem is they are real blue/purple when you first start the car, then they fade to bright bright white. is this normal? i know other members have said it takes time for them to adjust, is this true? i mean b/c they are excellent when you first cut them on. opinions?

VegasMatt
12-09-2005, 05:52 PM
Its normal, as it warms up it levels the color out.

DOHCstunr
12-09-2005, 06:11 PM
yeah ever been in a gymnasium or a warehouse when the lights first come on? at first the output is very low and they are blueish. then as they warm up they become brighter and white.

try walking pretty far away from your car after they are warmed up. you will still see some of the pigment. other cars will observe what you see. if that is what matters to you.

unlimited6986
12-09-2005, 06:55 PM
it usually takes about 15 mins for hids to reach there brightest point

9G
12-09-2005, 07:50 PM
it usually takes about 15 mins for hids to reach there brightest point

yup. well, it only takes about 5 minutes on mine(6000k)

NiTrOuSoXiDe
12-09-2005, 10:35 PM
Yeah, HID's first start out dull and gradually get brighter. If you have 8000K McCullochs, don't worry, you DEFINATELY have some of the bluest lights around. At full brightness, compare the color of your lights with another car that comes stock with HID's, like a BMW or Mercedes or something. You'll see how much bluer yours are than theirs, because usually, cars that come with HID pre-installed are anywhere in the 4000-6000K range, which is whitest. I believe ~4500K is pure white, if I'm not mistaken. The higher the color temperature (the Kelvin rating), the more blue/purple your lights will be. The lower, the yellower. 3000K HID's are used for fog lights because they are extremely yellow, while 4000-6000K HID's are used for headlights, because they are the closest color to sunlight and are optimal for nighttime vision. Anything over 6000K is mostly for show, because from that point on, the light goes from a powder blue, to a true blue, to a purple all the way up until the light is no longer visible to the naked eye, kind of like a black light.

I have EuroDezigns Xenon bulbs installed in my G, and they have this awesome blue tone to them to give the illusion of HID. They are just regular standard bulbs, and they too start out at a duller more bold color, and as they heat up, they get brighter and closer to white while still having a blue tint. I used to have "Halo" brand xenon bulbs, and they were extremely white, and they did the same thing. When I first put them on, they had a powder blue-ish tint, and they faded gradually to a bright ass pure white. They were great if you're going for the white look, but I'm into the blue.

peanotation
12-09-2005, 10:53 PM
definitely need a little while to warm up. i have different ballasts between my two HIDs, and for some reason my right side one only takes a minute, but my driver side one takes 3-4 minutes to get to its brightest. then they look the same

cbell803
12-10-2005, 09:15 AM
yeah i see what everyone is saying, but my point is they're blue when i first cut them on, then they change to white. My ideal was for them to be blue, i thought that was the purpose of 8000k kit. Is it true it takes a couple of months for them to color shift? If not i could've just stayed with cheaper silver stars.

NiTrOuSoXiDe
12-10-2005, 10:47 AM
Peano: Why two ballasts? Is there an advantage to having that? Brighter?

CBell: Maybe you should've went with 10000K's or 12000K's then, if they aren't blue enough for you. The 12000K's are nearly a purpleish blue, so you should have some serious color in there. Or, you could go with the 30000K's which are like, purple beyond belief.

I can guarantee your HID's have more color than the Silverstars, though. Silverstars are like 4500K, because they wanted a whiter light. It's also possible you bought a mis-marked HID kit. Maybe they're 6000K's maked as 8000K's. Silverstars are just regular bulbs, too, so they are no where near as bright as the real deal.

Take some pictures. Also, contact whoever you bought them from and ask for an exchange for 10000K or 12000K's.

http://www.optomahometheater.com/images/howto/1112%20Color%20Bar%20copy.jpg

Airstud8
12-10-2005, 12:13 PM
do those mcculloch kits work pretty good? I've been looking at them on ebay and i've wanted to get the 10,000K's. Just wondering if anyone had them on thier galant, what they thought of them. Also which size bulb would the galant take?

NiTrOuSoXiDe
12-10-2005, 02:38 PM
Depends on which generation you have. If you have a 7G, it takes 9006 or HB4. Don't quote me on this, but I think the 8G takes 9004's, that is, unless you have the JDM VR4 headlights which have two bulbs, which is probably 9006 as well. I think.

pinoyesv6
12-10-2005, 03:18 PM
Depends on which generation you have. If you have a 7G, it takes 9006 or HB4. Don't quote me on this, but I think the 8G takes 9004's, that is, unless you have the JDM VR4 headlights which have two bulbs, which is probably 9006 as well. I think.

you should really get your facts straight before you post becasue you're totally off.

the usdm 8g galant headlights use a h4 bulb.

the jdm 8g galant headlights use a h7 low and a h1 high

NiTrOuSoXiDe
12-10-2005, 10:50 PM

you should really get your facts straight before you post becasue you're totally off.

Hence the "Don't quote me on this" and the "I think". Never did I claim my statements as "facts". The only "fact" I posted was the part about the 7G which I know is 100% accurate, so as far as I'm concerned, I was correct. The rest was just an educated guess, and I plainly stated so. Thanks for your concern though :thumbsup:

DOHCstunr
12-10-2005, 11:57 PM

Hence the "Don't quote me on this" and the "I think". Never did I claim my statements as "facts". The only "fact" I posted was the part about the 7G which I know is 100% accurate, so as far as I'm concerned, I was correct. The rest was just an educated guess, and I plainly stated so. Thanks for your concern though :thumbsup:
the 7g jdm headlights use h4 for the inner lens and h1 for the inner driving lamp
facts eh?

NiTrOuSoXiDe
12-11-2005, 10:32 AM
Umm, yeah, like I said, HB4 or 9006. You do know that HB4 is the same thing as 9006, except for the little cover thingy that goes over the plug right? I have 9006's in my car, and right on the headlight assembly itself it says 'HB4'.

9006 will plug right into a HB4 headlight, and vise versa.

Same thing for HB3 and 9005, which is the 7G brights, well, USDM anyway. Don't know anything about JDM.

Jet Black
12-11-2005, 12:52 PM
^Also I have yet to see a single stock production car come with anything OTHER than 4100k-4300k. The 6000k only come as replacement bulbs so you dont have to worry about colorshift.

yeah i see what everyone is saying, but my point is they're blue when i first cut them on, then they change to white. My ideal was for them to be blue, i thought that was the purpose of 8000k kit. Is it true it takes a couple of months for them to color shift? If not i could've just stayed with cheaper silver stars.

They will most definetly take a few months to turn blue. My 4300k (stock E55 projectors/bulbs) used to be YELLOW as shit. I hated them at first. Everytime I was behind a truck with a shiny bumper, I would strain to see any signs of whiteness.

BUT now there blue as shit (as DOHCSTUNR pointed out, they will look more blue as you view them further away).

do those mcculloch kits work pretty good? I've been looking at them on ebay and i've wanted to get the 10,000K's. Just wondering if anyone had them on thier galant, what they thought of them. Also which size bulb would the galant take?

You get what you pay for. Around here, people don't seem to have any problems. Then you go to places like HIDplanet.com and people REALLY hate them.

Just to add to the whole you get what you pay for thing. I bought a 100$ stick welder from Ebay. It broke within the first 10 minutes of use (I wasnt even able to get a bead going). :oops:

pLUGSNEt
12-19-2005, 09:59 AM
My oem hids take less than 20 seconds to warm up.... my 4100k bulbs have a slight blue tint in the output but not alot... I dont really care to much for color... but my cut off is blue/purple and when you see me driving behind you all you see is beautiful colors... Looks super clean at night... I had let my cuzz borrow my car and when he got on my street I was chilling outside with my boy and we were like look at those hids... i was trying to figure out what car has the color LOL and it was mine...