PDA

View Full Version : Quick suspension question...bushings...PLEASE HELP!

evil-G-nius
12-16-2005, 04:58 AM
So I searched, and I searched. What I need to know is what energy bushing set do I get? Prothane for a 1996-99 eclipse I know, but do I get the master set? Does that cover everything that I need or am I gonna need the end link sets too? Please help cuz I need this by next week!!! Thanx in advance guys

SkylineG1
12-16-2005, 08:29 AM
The master set should contain all you need. It should list on the package what bushings are in the kit

DOHCstunr
12-16-2005, 08:48 AM
your end links are ball joint type. so that won't be an issue. energy costs less, but prothane has more bushings.
its gonna be a pain to install them. the only real hard part is getting the old bushings out.
and for that i highly recomend that if you want to minimise your pain and suffering, put your front end up on stands first. remove the nessesary components, then have someone drive you up to a machine shop and have them press out the old bushings. throw in your bushings yourself, then reassemble. next day or next weekend, do the same for the rear suspension. make sure you tell him exactly what bushings to press out.

if you ahve the prothane kit, then they are two piece bushings and just slide right in. if you ahve the energy kit, then you need a 4 or 5 inch bench vise to push in the new bushings.
so yeah, there is some hard work involved

Now, with that said,
it is more than worth it. especially on the 7g, nothing is going to make your suspension respond more accurately, and work harder then a poly kit. you will not believe how much mush there is in your stock suspension.

i did it all myself. it was a bitch, but now i am as happy as a little girl.

this is what the prothane master kit replaces
http://www.roadraceengineering.com/parts/prothane/ ('http://www.roadraceengineering.com/parts/prothane/')

so many bushings!!!! even the inner bushings for both rear lower control arms(energy doesn't do that).

:arrow: now a word between the two sets.
get a master set its the only way to go.

the energy is softer then the prothane kit. the energy comes in two styles. read and black. the black energy kit is graphite impregnated to eliminate squeaks. if you get enrgy, get that kit(it is the same price)

the prothane as i mentioned costs a little more but comes w/ more bushings.- it is also stiffer. so its going to be more effective than energy if you are looking for a no comprimise suspension. some sets include sway bar bushings, and even the motor mounts.

evil-G-nius
12-16-2005, 03:31 PM
I will probably get the energy one with graphite. I take long trips up north..no autocrossing or anything so I am going for a little more comfort. Thanx for the help guys. As far as the work...I am lazy. My mechanic is gonna do it, I am also gonna have new springs and shocks put on so...

peanotation
12-16-2005, 03:35 PM
good, i was going to recommend you get them installed at a shop. took me and chris all day just for 25% of the car. it's HARD and frusterating, but it can be done. i'm not sure if i'd want to waste a couple days on it though

evil-G-nius
12-16-2005, 03:42 PM
Oh hell no I wouldnt do it! Like I said I am lazy! Plus I am on a time restraint as well as I dont have the tools so...it works out just fine for me

DOHCstunr
12-16-2005, 03:57 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanotation)</div><div class='quotemain'>good, i was going to recommend you get them installed at a shop. took me and chris all day just for 25% of the car. it's HARD and frusterating, but it can be done. i'm not sure if i'd want to waste a couple days on it though</div>
you gotta remeber that you get better as you go though matt. its true. the last few aren't as hard as the first few.
but its still not easy.

DOHCstunr
12-16-2005, 03:59 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(evil-G-nius (aka Kimya))</div><div class='quotemain'>I will probably get the energy one with graphite. I take long trips up north..no autocrossing or anything so I am going for a little more comfort. Thanx for the help guys. As far as the work...I am lazy. My mechanic is gonna do it, I am also gonna have new springs and shocks put on so...</div>
if you are going to do that.
then absolutley wait until you get the bushing kit first
one of the things that either kit replaces is the upper strut and shock mounts. replacing those playdough like mounts will help your struts and shocks read the road more accuratly increasing your vehicles handling prowess as well as creating a more comfortable ride.

krazienluv10
12-16-2005, 04:00 PM
which mechanic is gonna do it... maybe ill go their too to finish it up...and how much???

evil-G-nius
12-16-2005, 04:19 PM
My buddy in Glendale. Its the mobil station at the corner of Chevy Chase and Brand. His name is Arthur. This guy is extremely honest, good for doing anything! They put my new engine in when the other one blew out. He is also a fellow Mitsu owner. He has a 1987 Starion...287whp at 14psi I think he said...so I trust him and I would not send any of you guys to someone I wouldnt use myself

DOHCstunr
12-16-2005, 05:21 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(evil-G-nius (aka Kimya))</div><div class='quotemain'>My buddy in Glendale. Its the mobil station at the corner of Chevy Chase and Brand. His name is Arthur. This guy is extremely honest, good for doing anything! They put my new engine in when the other one blew out. He is also a fellow Mitsu owner. He has a 1987 Starion...287whp at 14psi I think he said...so I trust him and I would not send any of you guys to someone I wouldnt use myself</div>
hydraulic press makes things easy

98ACR
12-16-2005, 08:25 PM
..... :nope: If you guys think it's THAT hard, I'll put anyone's bushings in for $100. Just bring the car to me with a box of bushings in the trunk and a C-note on the dash. It's NOT THAT BAD!!!!! It's just time consuming. If you have air tools, a hydraulic press, and a lift, a complete bushing kit is an 8-10 hour job. I'd place the difficulty right there with say...putting in a set of springs/struts.

Though, maybe comming from GA (the land that rust and corrosion forgot) I'm a little spoiled on the complete lack of frozen bolts.

evil-G-nius
12-16-2005, 09:34 PM
Well I am in Cali now! My car came from Jersey so I ma have a frozen bolt or two

DOHCstunr
12-16-2005, 10:35 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(98ACR)</div><div class='quotemain'>..... :nope: Â* Â* Â* If you guys think it's THAT hard, I'll put anyone's bushings in for $100. Just bring the car to me with a box of bushings in the trunk and a C-note on the dash. It's NOT THAT BAD!!!!! It's just time consuming. If you have air tools, a hydraulic press, and a lift, a complete bushing kit is an 8-10 hour job. I'd place the difficulty right there with say...putting in a set of springs/struts. Â*

Though, maybe comming from GA (the land that rust and corrosion forgot) I'm a little spoiled on the complete lack of frozen bolts.</div>
i never said its hard/difficult. justthat its a pain in the ass. defintly the dirtiest work i've done.(come out of the job looking like i work in a coal mine) but its worth it.

krazienluv10
12-17-2005, 04:42 AM
yea its not really hard... just soo f**ing frustrating n time consuming...hey evil, let me know when uve done this... n tell me how much it costed u per tire... ty