PDA

View Full Version : Possible Brake Problem?

Auto-9
10-20-2002, 08:37 PM
I know the front brakes get much, much hotter than the rear ones because they have to do more work to stop the car. After driving today I sprayed the front rims with water and my driver side wheel was just producing vapor like crazy...must have been hot as heck. The passenger side didn't quite react as dramatically...think my driver side might be dragging or having any other kind of problems?

TJC
10-20-2002, 08:58 PM
Hahaha. That's kind of hard to be basing a problem based on the amount of vapors. Now smoke signals is a little different though, and that wasn't a joke bro, hehe. :wink:

A better sign of a problem is uneven wear on the brake pads like driver side much more than the passenger side or something to that effect. Source of problem might just be that the pressure set for that corner is not correct and should be recalibrated to factory specs.

manybrews
10-20-2002, 10:18 PM
dont ever spray cold anything on a hot brake rotor..
chances are it will warp instantly.

and it has no indication of how even or uneven the brakes are wearing.

pinoyesv6
10-20-2002, 10:37 PM
does your car pull to either side when you brake? taht can also be a sign on uneven wearing...

Auto-9
10-21-2002, 12:20 PM
does your car pull to either side when you brake? taht can also be a sign on uneven wearing...

Only when I brake hard enough to activate ABS. Shoulda thought about the cold on hot before I sprayed, but at the time I figured when I drive in the rain the brakes get wet anyhow...forgot about metal tempering. If I did warp anything...my brakes sure as heck aren't squealing anymore. They're quieter than a mouse.

BlueESV6
10-21-2002, 07:30 PM
I would also think if it was dragging then your car would pull when you let go of the steering wheel as well as when you brake...

Crazy as it sounds look at your rotors at night... if they are glowing then getting much too hot and will eventually warp. Also touch your wheel... is it really hot? Probably from the rotors...

Auto-9
10-21-2002, 09:10 PM
Kinda like GT3 where it glows as you brake eh https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif I'm no longer able to keep my finger on the front wheels, it actually causes damage to my skin https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

TJC
10-21-2002, 11:38 PM
I'd still say inspect the pads. They don't lie, hehe. If it's unevenly/excessively worn compared to the other side, you know you have a problem.