PDA

View Full Version : 8G V6 replace engine or valve guides/seals?

jmonintwo
12-27-2005, 04:39 PM
Why me? 8G, V6, 99K miles, started smoking (oil). Only smokes when you stomp on the gas after it's been idling a minute or so. Dealer says the problem is uncommon in this motor, he wants to replace the valve seals and guides and grind the valve seats, says it should fix the problem...wants $1900 to do it...ouch. Thing is, I found a guy who will sell me a 2004 motor with 9K miles on it, shipped and installed for $2500. Moneywise I'd be crazy to not go with the new motor, especially since I want to keep the car for another year or two before I get rid of it.

Here's the weird part, the guy attempting to sell me the motor says the motor is coming out fo a 2004 Chrysler Sebring...he says it is the same identical motor and will bolt up with no problems. Is this true? And if it is, I wonder how many more miles I can get out of the car before other systems (tranny, AC, etc...) start failing?? Any experience or advice would be appreciated....Just trying to figure out what to do....

gtx
12-28-2005, 07:47 AM
It is the same engine, however, I would look around a little bit more. You should be able to find a used engine for less, especially on the forums. (not with 9K but still)

About the rest of the car... there are some of us with a lot of miles around here. I don't think I would worry too much around 100 with a new engine under the hood.