PDA

View Full Version : is the 8g galant a very good car overall?

HIXMITS
10-21-2002, 01:32 AM
I own a 1990 Galant GS right now, its pretty reliable, and it feels like a pretty solid car, but i think its time for a new ride. I want to buy a BMW 5 series, or possibly go with a new galant... I know that the 7g is pretty much a piece of shit, I was just wondering if the 8g is as cheap... They look hella tight, i just don't want to buy one and have to take it to the shop all the time. I figured i would ask actual owners of this car, rather than rely on opinions and statistics. thanks for your input.

HeadAche
10-21-2002, 09:35 AM
I own a 1990 Galant GS right now, its pretty reliable, and it feels like a pretty solid car, but i think its time for a new ride. I want to buy a BMW 5 series, or possibly go with a new galant... I know that the 7g is pretty much a piece of shit, I was just wondering if the 8g is as cheap... They look hella tight, i just don't want to buy one and have to take it to the shop all the time. I figured i would ask actual owners of this car, rather than rely on opinions and statistics. thanks for your input.

For warning watch what u say about the 7g or 8g for that matter, their are a lot of guys/girls in here that love their cars to death, and i know i already take offense to what u have said.

blakstarz73
10-21-2002, 09:52 AM
I had my 8G going on 3 years now and I have about 43,000 miles on it and I never had a problem out of it as far as engine and transmission. Just the regular maintance, I had a better experience with my G-ride than my other car (a 93' VW Jetta, that had been hell on earth after 7months of having it.) If you think owning a BMW is any better, then go ahead. Just remember if something does go wrong on it, the price for those parts is expensive, I've see people have their Benzs and Beamers in the repair shop car lots for weeks because they can get the money up to pay for the labor. But if you got it like that....Do you

ASTIG
10-21-2002, 10:11 AM
i've owned many mitsus. i have a '00 gtz and with 30k miles, i have had no problems mechanically. very reliable car. although i dont like the build quality. to many creaks and squeaks on the interior plastic panels. i guess thats common with cars built here in the US. my other mitsus were japanese built and the fit and finish were perfect. BUT LIKE I SAID THE CAR IS MECHANICALLY SOUND.

Gilhuly
10-21-2002, 10:45 AM
76K and rock solid mechanically. Plan on getting better brakes (rotors) at some point

Auto-9
10-21-2002, 12:15 PM
Well I mean if I were shopping between the 5 series and 8G I'd jump on the 5...but I might consider waiting for the 9G Galant...

efiLnikcuFeciN
10-21-2002, 12:34 PM
Hey, if u have the money to buy 5 series, then why not https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif u really couldn't compare 5 series with 8G galant !! 8G galant is way way way above 5 series 8) <-- Galant 8G Vs BMW 5 that 3 number difference https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

Ghost Beat
10-21-2002, 12:46 PM
ther's 2 sort of people i think one's who LOVE their galant and others who are just keeping it to get somethign better ive had plenty of chances to get other cars "better" cars but i cant part with my lant caus i know what its gona be when its done i dont see myself selling my car ever and not getting a new one till i finish this one up and its no longer street legal :twisted:

MrDomu
10-21-2002, 04:46 PM
The Answer is YES, I've had my 8g for Four Years.

Purchace Date: August '98 (Model yr '99)

Drove it off lot with about 20 miles on it, I now have 114000 on it (not 11400).

In the first few months, the dealer replaced a cracked Driver side mirror(heated), the fuel gauge(wasnt going all the way to full), and a warped rotor. Nothing else.

As with any car, maintain it and it will treat you good. Although some better than others. I had an '85 Chevy Cavalier Z24 Hatchback once. Talk about a money pitt, woooweee. Anyway, I drive my G harder than I did that POS and my G has been mint all the way.

Note: Some say that the rotors suck, My experience has been that brakes suck on most cars.

757Boyzgtz
10-21-2002, 05:23 PM
if i had the dough you must have i would go w/ the 5 hands down but aint nothing wrong w/ the 7G or 8G Galants like everyone else said

pinoyesv6
10-21-2002, 06:51 PM
the galant can be a very safe car. i got into a head on colission going about 50 mph and all i basically got was bruises from the seatbelt preventing me from flying thru the windshield. and guess what, my car isn't even totalled. right now they are piecing it back together from a galant that was in a rear end colission and that car did pretty well too...

99GalantOn18s
10-22-2002, 04:42 AM
yeah hes not lyin about galants bein safe... i was drivin to texas from georgia to go see my g/f... and when i was in alabama i hit a dog... i think in some country ass place and there werent even street lights... i was doin like maybe 80 and the only thing wrong with the car was the foglight fucked up a bit and the bottom of the bumper (where the animal rolled under) cracked... 80mph... barely no damage...

Sarah
10-22-2002, 09:25 AM
i love my galant.....i get heads turning my way.....the car is built like a brick wall.........i couldn't love another car more

WarrenG
10-22-2002, 12:26 PM
I've got a 99 ES. I smacked a deer a few months ago at about 60 MPH. The impact threw the damn deer over the car. Only damage was a slight bend in the hood, golf ball sized dent right behind the head light and broke the bolt holes off the head light.

10-22-2002, 10:20 PM
LOL hitting dogs and deers !! .. Well I'm glad the only thing I ever hit were bugs.... All over my lights !!

TJC
10-22-2002, 11:01 PM
Best bang for the buck! Can't find better ride with all the features packed in a great looking car. The only thing I hate is the stock rotors b/c they warp so easily. But I will take this problem over other things b/c it's easy to do the rotors and there are already lots of aftermarket replacements for it. I look at it as an excuse to get great brakes instead of settling for a mediocre one, hehe. :wink:

Got it on Jan. 9th, 2000 and has 46K on it so far. Just routine maintenance; no major problems.

evomk8
10-23-2002, 04:33 PM
My car has not had a single mechanical problem. The engine is strong, smooth, quiet and troublefree. Same goes for the excellent automatic transmission.
My main beef is with rattles and squeaks that have developed in the center dash. This seems to be a simple fit and finish problem. As far as I know, the new Galants no longer have this ailment. I also have to agree with the weak brakes... :?
If you're condisdering a V6, go for it. The BS you read about refinement in car magazines and Consumer Reports is pure bias and editor preference. (don't believe shit Consumer Reports writes, they're wrong, biased and full of it)

Cali
10-23-2002, 04:50 PM
evomk8, you had a sapporo?! Man, we used to have one...first car my ass ever sat in... https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

errika
11-08-2002, 04:44 PM
When I was way younger my first bought car was a '89 mit. galant. I had it for only several months before I crashed it, to pieces. But while I had it I LOVED IT!! I never had any problems, I bought it used with "ONLY" 120,000 miles. Yes that seems like alot but it didnt give me any trouble. Now I have a '00 DE Galant that I LOVE AS MUCH AS MY KIDS!! I TREAT HER VERY SPECIAL. She has over 90,000 miles on her and I have NEVER had to replace anything or repair anything major, just your general maintenance. So for anyone to even question a galant is beyond me! UNDERSTAND A GALANT IS IN IT'S OWN CLASS!! Of course I love to have a GTZ, but I could get what I can afford and slowly im creating her into my own creation. She a beauty! Like her owner!

ERIKA
from the tru dirty south
"El Valle"