PDA

View Full Version : Installing CAI....quick question

ChuloMxcn
12-29-2005, 01:09 PM
I was beginning to install my AEM CAI thanks to cardude and ive noticed on a couple tutorials & instructions that it asks to remove the valence under the front bumper & to reinstall it to keep water out. Problem being that I do not have a valence under there & wondering if anyone else has this same situation & if any problems came w/it. Im guessing imma need a splash guard?

DryBear
12-29-2005, 01:57 PM
The instructions are most likely referencing the 3G eclipse, which has a cover in the area between the bumper and wheel. The galants (at least 02-03) don't have a cover there. If you are worried about water splash, you could get those socks that fit over the filter (drycharger) or those cheap e-bay heat shields.

ChuloMxcn
12-29-2005, 04:14 PM
Thanks. So im guessing most people here dont have a cover there. Do a lot of you have heatshields are you just lettin it hang out there

02galant
12-29-2005, 04:23 PM
You dont need a cover or heat shield. Alot of people think that if water splashes on you filter you will hydralock the motor. However you have to be a complete idioit to lock up your motor, b/c to do so you filter has to be completely submerged to do this, hence if you drive though a puddle that deep you deserve to have you motor locked up.

my .02

TexasMade
12-30-2005, 11:29 AM
just avoid going scuba diving with the G and you should be fine. Iv had my CAI in for about a year now without the heat sheild or splash guard.

ChuloMxcn
12-30-2005, 11:48 AM
Sweet, well i put it on yesterday w/o any shields & I love the new sound at WOT. Im having problems w/it shifting from 3-4 but i guess it just needs to get used to the new airflow. It seemed to have gotten a lil better today.

02galant
12-30-2005, 11:55 AM
Yeah that is what it is the ECU has to so called learn the new intake and get the new calculations and shift point in a day or two you will be good.

G-spot
12-30-2005, 11:59 AM
I got a heat shield. Do what you want...

Danger DANJ
01-01-2006, 06:30 PM
If you have a cold air intake, where the filter is down behind the fog light area, why would you feel the need for a heat shield?

8G_GTZ
01-01-2006, 06:36 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danger DANJ)</div><div class='quotemain'>If you have a cold air intake, where the filter is down behind the fog light area, why would you feel the need for a heat shield?</div>

because David, it's very hot down there away from the motor.

02Galant has the same theory as I do, don't worry about it, and try not to drive in a pond.

Steve

shiznit013
01-16-2006, 07:32 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danger DANJ)</div><div class='quotemain'>If you have a cold air intake, where the filter is down behind the fog light area, why would you feel the need for a heat shield?</div>

The heat shield is supposed to double as a splash guard... or at least that's how they're marketing it.

Danger DANJ
01-17-2006, 10:18 AM
A splash guard seems worthless to me. Water can still get up behind the guard and splash onto the filter. Water splashing on the filter is no big deal anyway. You have to submerge the filter to cause damage. I've driven my car through some deep ass water when roads got flooded during a storm and I was fine. The water was so deep that it actually caused my air conditioner to cut off for a few minutes. I doubt the filter became submerged, because if it did, I would have had water coming in through my doors. So, basically, to submerge the filter and suck up water you would have to be pretty stupid by driving through some deep ass water that would kill your engine anyway, even without a CAI.