PDA

View Full Version : Squeaky Start!

slipdm16
12-30-2005, 02:26 AM
In cold weather (40 degrees and below) my 99 8g (4 cyl) has problems with what I thought was the alternator belt squeaking at a ridiculously high pitched tone. This usually kicks in after the car has been sitting in the cold for an hour or so, and intensifies when I turn on auxiliary items (i.e. defroster, vents, radio, etc.) or put the car in gear. After replacing this tonite (at a cost of $80) I thought I would've had the problem solved. Unfortunately this is not it - still sqeaking at startup.

Does anyone have any ideas what this is? I had the dealer put on lithium grease on the belts to no avail either. Please let me know what you think could be the culprit...I'm so sick of throwing away money on this car!!!

SkylineG1
12-30-2005, 07:22 AM
It's happening to some of us me included. Clean your pulleys off. And change the belts. Mine still squeeaks but only for about a second or so after startup.

DOHCstunr
12-30-2005, 07:38 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(slipdm16)</div><div class='quotemain'>In cold weather (40 degrees and below) my 99 8g (4 cyl) has problems with what I thought was the alternator belt squeaking at a ridiculously high pitched tone. Â*This usually kicks in after the car has been sitting in the cold for an hour or so, and intensifies when I turn on auxiliary items (i.e. defroster, vents, radio, etc.) or put the car in gear. Â*After replacing this tonite (at a cost of $80) I thought I would've had the problem solved. Â*Unfortunately this is not it - still sqeaking at startup. Â*

Does anyone have any ideas what this is? Â*I had the dealer put on lithium grease on the belts to no avail either. Â*Please let me know what you think could be the culprit...I'm so sick of throwing away money on this car!!!</div>
make sure your belt is properly tensioned.
also, try spraying some belt dressing on the bands of the new belt. that helps it stick better.

SkylineG1
12-30-2005, 07:39 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DOHCSTUNR)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(slipdm16)</div><div class='quotemain'>In cold weather (40 degrees and below) my 99 8g (4 cyl) has problems with what I thought was the alternator belt squeaking at a ridiculously high pitched tone. Â*This usually kicks in after the car has been sitting in the cold for an hour or so, and intensifies when I turn on auxiliary items (i.e. defroster, vents, radio, etc.) or put the car in gear. Â*After replacing this tonite (at a cost of $80) I thought I would've had the problem solved. Â*Unfortunately this is not it - still sqeaking at startup. Â*

Does anyone have any ideas what this is? Â*I had the dealer put on lithium grease on the belts to no avail either. Â*Please let me know what you think could be the culprit...I'm so sick of throwing away money on this car!!!</div>
make sure your belt is properly tensioned.
also, try spraying some belt dressing on the bands of the new belt. that helps it stick better.</div>

I was told by the Mitsu tech to never use belt dressing.

DOHCstunr
12-30-2005, 07:53 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SkylineG1)</div><div class='quotemain'>

I was told by the Mitsu tech to never use belt dressing.</div>
wtf not?
what difference does it make.
you shouldn't use it to mask an apparent problem like a 5 year old cracked belt, sure
but wtf cares if its to fix a small squeal on a brand new belt.

SkylineG1
12-30-2005, 07:57 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DOHCSTUNR)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SkylineG1)</div><div class='quotemain'>

wtf not?
what difference does it make.
you shouldn't use it to mask an apparent problem like a 5 year old cracked belt, sure
but wtf cares if its to fix a small squeal on a brand new belt.</div>

When I had the belt squeak that was the first thing I did, spray some on. It only made the squeaking worse. The belts were fairly new because I had then installed in August. But he said the delt dressing was not to be used on serpentine belts.

shortdogg2k05
12-30-2005, 08:03 AM
Jus make sure they have the correct tension. Your belt is probably just loose.

Kalamidad
12-30-2005, 09:06 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DOHCSTUNR)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SkylineG1)</div><div class='quotemain'>

wtf not?
</div>

People feel it hardens the belt making it more likely to break.

But, I use it when i need to.

I hate it when I stand at the wrong angle from the belt and I get spraid back from the belt, ruined a couple of shits like that. Oh, and that build-up that develops on the back of the passager side headlight.

Mante
12-30-2005, 09:20 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kalamidad)</div><div class='quotemain'>
I hate it when I stand at the wrong angle from the belt and I get spraid back from Â*the belt, ruined a couple of shits like that. Â*Oh, and that build-up that develops on the back of the passager side headlight.</div>

Hahahahahha see these are key times when someone needs to have a camcorder with you doing car work...hahahaha

slipdm16
12-30-2005, 01:52 PM
Does anyone have a diagram of where all the different belts are in the engine compartment? I'm not sure what all of them do...

Will any old garage tighten up the belts for you?

manybrews
12-30-2005, 05:30 PM
first point..
belt dressing is shit. it does nothing.

second point..
just tighten your belts. Replace if cracked. nothing else is an acceptable repair.

nycgalant
01-01-2006, 07:24 PM
I had the same problem for quite sometime myself.
That shit is annoying. At first they changed my belts and the noise started.Then I took it back and they tightened it and it stop makin the noise for a day or two. So I took it back and I told them that it still makes noise and so they tightened it again and away went the noise. Good Lawd.